increasedodds
    increasedodds's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Hypothetical legal questin / discussion

The Wire act criminalizes being in the business of betting. This has generally been defined (even by Congress way back when) as the bookie and not the individual bettor. This seems clear.

My question is, to be defined as being in the business, would someone have to have a chance of profiting.

Specifically, if someone ran a matchbook like site with no vig where all bettors bets simply had to match someone elses and the owner of the site held balance in a bank account with no interest such that there was no chance or intend to profit, would the owner be violating the wire act?

As a second option if someone ran a matchbook like site with no vig where all bettors bets simply had to match someone elses and the owner was a non profit organization continuously and immediately donating all interest on balances held to a federally approved charity such that he could never profit would the owner be violating the wire act?

The reason I ponder this is it is becoming more and more difficult for established players or professionals to get down 4 or 5 figure bets. Pinnacle has brought credit down as it is having trouble moving money, Matchbook has really outlawed the U.S., almost no offshores take wires anymore, fullboat is closed for a few weeks, etc... At some point it would seem if people want to keep making a living gambling they might have to set up their own vig free exchange.

Just pondering thoughts as this industry continues to contract.

Thoughts?

Vinnie Paz
    Vinnie Paz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3413

If its your living then move to Vegas or Canada

Vinnie Paz
    Vinnie Paz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3413

Also can't you get 5 figures down at book maker ?

Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20531

If the business is to conduct a betting exchange I'd say it would be illegal.

Is there anything in the Wire or other Acts to say the business needs to be conducted with a profit motive? I doubt it.

Seaweed
    Update your status
    Seaweed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6952

I would like to hear what Smoke has to say

cruzing vato
    cruzing vato's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 232

Start a nonprofit bet matching religious cult.

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

IO,
    There was a book out of Vegas called Wagerfree that claimed to fit the concept you are talking about. It happened to be an outright scam where players stood no chance of being paid. However, the guy was arrested by local Vegas officials for operating a gaming company without a license and not by feds for running an outright scam on US soil (if I am remembering correctly). All the details should be on that page.

Art Vandeleigh
    Art Vandeleigh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

If you're going to do this in the US it's PASPA (The Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act of 1992) that makes sports betting illegal, period, profit or no profit, unless you are physically located in one of 4 states grandfathered in (Nevada, Delaware, Oregon, Montana).

If you're outside the US, I'm assuming the same restrictions on sending and receiving money to this mythical website as any offshore site would apply because of PASPA.

http://www.gambling-law-us.com/Feder...protection.htm
    Last edited by Art Vandeleigh; 01-22-14 at 09:02 AM.

Vitothecapper
    Vitothecapper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 682

Seek professional advice.

Not from the posters.

Contact the lay Office Of Murray Richman

2027 Williamsbridge Rd

Bronx,New York

Legal advice is not cheap!

Pay one way or the other.

T4TRUTH
    T4TRUTH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 67

What is your legal question exactly, because that makes no sense, where will the law worry you? IRS is the only I ever worry about when it comes to gambling that I get my correct return , either pay them or get refund, whichever may be the case. Simply put I have received credit for offshore losses due to the fact that all I needed to show was the correct matching amount of losses as filed in my return, providing the website was a genuine business and loss credit was cleared as genuine, so what exact legal question in relation to gambling. 911 changed money movement for the whole world so is it to transfer money is your real question? and if so go look up some of the security acts and see that moving money is more the problem, not gambling.

wrongturn
    Update your status
    wrongturn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3726

Don't think the idea will fly. First of all, the "spirit" of law is to forbid money transfer across state line for the purpose of gambling. Second, government can argue the players who make offers are in fact bookies. There you go.