MeMyselfandEye
    MeMyselfandEye's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 96

Here is a pretty good scam my buddy is caught up in.

Here it is...its a little long but my buddy is not very sharp about these things.

OK, so he gets a call from a tout selling picks, Sheldon Jaffe from Nevada, he won't give him a dime so the guy starts giving him free picks. 3 in a row winners and my buddy figures this guy is legit. So they talk a package and this guy tells him that his high roller package will get him a $100,000 credit online account, he can make a killing placing his picks, ect...but he has to post up 10%, $10,000. My buddy says no way, and the guy tells him if he can come up with 5K, he will pay the other 5K to get him up and rolling, and of course this guy wants a cut of the profits because they are going to do so well, gave him the hard sell.......so he wires this guy 5K.

So he was told to go to Premier Online Betting, and fill out everything to open an account, then the funds will be credited to the account. He does, and the site has his name, address, everything at this point....

This guys Sheldon calls him the next day and says he has some other 'investors" that want in as well and he can up the amount for another 5k and everyone can make more money, etc...talks him out of another 5K, but ups his online account to 250K. They start placing large wagers on Sheldon's picks and at first they are up and down, nothing great but not winning either. Then of course he starts dealing losing pick and the account takes a drastic downturn. Sheldon keeps telling him to stay the coarse, it will be ok, etc....

Then he gets a call from another guy claiming to be Sheldon's boos, Sy Morris. Sy Morris tells my buddy that Sheldon means well, but he bets too many games, and if he would just bet 1 large wager each night that Sy provides everything will be fine....Do not place any wagers except the ones that Sy provides him.

At this point my buddy is basically sh!tting himself, so he places these large wagers, and of coarse they are stilling losing. The account is down 180K at this point. Not only that but he has been

The next phone call comes from Global Marketing Group Services Inc. about his online account. Stated he was never supposed to be extended that much credit and they want their 180K as they are part of the investment group. He has been getting threats and all kinds of phone calls and has no idea what to to do...

Basically, he is being extorted.

I told him it was probably a PPH account, so the funds never existed, and an agent is trying to scam him. I also told him to tell them go screw themselves when they call as they has no recourse...but of course they have his name, address, phone, everything they need to keep him in fear through threats..

Anyone out there ever have such an experience? Should he file a complaint?

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Don't worry about it ignore the calls

mtneer1212
    mtneer1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3369

The story should have ended after: OK, so he gets a call from a tout selling picks. He should move immediately and change all of his info. If he is scared, he should contact the FBI.

Scooter
    Scooter's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2064

"...3 in a row winners and my buddy figures this guy is legit."

[Face palm]

richsox24
    richsox24's Avatar Become A Pro!

Your buddy seriously sent this guy 5k???

Shit, I would have sold him my picks for a 1 time special discounted rate of 1k (although i'm not sure they are worth 25 cents)

MeMyselfandEye
    MeMyselfandEye's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 96

Yep - he Sent him the money. Also, the sentence unfinished above was, not only that but he has been placing these same picks with a local.

This all stems from the fact he was into a local and thought this was his way out.

He has never been approached before by a tout so he had no clue. He didn't mention it to me until it was all over...I could have saved him a lot of money. And being honest, he's a friend of a friend so I didn't realize how square he actually was...we talked football bets a few times over beers, that kind of thing, but talk about being green. Hell, this guy is 45 years old so I figured he knew what he was doing.

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29182

cant believe he feel for this scam

he shouldhave known better

CollegePro
    CollegePro's Avatar Become A Pro!

just ignore the calls.. those scammers already go 10k from him and trying to get as much as possible by saying that he now owes 180k. Just completely ignore the calls from any of those scammers and he will be fine... he will just lose that 10k and that's it.