decado
    decado's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Football Trading Lounge (Betfair & co)

SBR offer almost nothing regarding trading in sports, mainly because Americans are not allowed to use betting exchanges such as BetFair. I'm making this thread to offer a place where everyone can exchange knowledge and help each other out with this type of sports wagering.

Trading takes practice, and should not be attempted until you have paper traded for at least 50 trades! Then trade at very small stakes.

Trading is about making a steady long-term return. You are going to have losing days. You are going to have winning days. The trick is to get more of the later! You won't be a millionaire by Christmas, but, you just might make an income... eventually.

Have fun and good luck!

decado

There are some "rules" for all traders:

1) Discipline - you have a system STICK TO IT, never ever bend the rules. You might get lucky a few times, but, in the end you will get burned.

2) Bank Management - you should know what your liability is for each bet. Never bet more than 5% of your bank on any trade, preferably set your liability lower at 1 to 2 % (preferably 1%!). I am talking about knowing how much you are prepared to lose if it all goes tits up, not what your stake is! Once you have set this figure, never deviate from it (see below).

3) Prepare to lose, because you will, we all do. What are your reactions to losing? What are you going to do if you have 5 straight loses, and you will! Not everyone can mentally cope with losing. Some will ramp up the next bet (Fibonacci series, Martingale, or whatever) and may get lucky and recover but eventually will kiss their bank goodbye. See Bank Management above, never change the size of your bet to recover a loss.

Losses are inevitable. Analyse a loss to ensure that you applied your system correctly, and if you did, have faith that your system will win through in the end. The paper-trading you did before you jumped in should have given you confidence that the system works. if you don't have solid faith in the system, why are you using it?

4) Know your exit points - profit - again from the paper-based system test you should have a solid feel for the number of ticks profit that is a reasonable target.

5) Know your Stop-Loss. So you have calculated your maximum loss, you know where you want to get out and "green up". Where do we place the Stop-Loss (a.k.a Stop) The answer is it depends! You have to know yourself and your attitude to risk.

5) Stakes. Always start small until you are happy with how to calculate your exit points. Once you are comfortable with trading remember your bank management target

6) Noob mistake #1. Never, ever hold on to a losing trade in the hope that the Gods will smile on you and turn the trade around. You will be amazed at just how quickly not getting out at $10 loss suddenly becomes a total stake loss.

7)
    Noob mistake #2 is holding on to a winning trade for just a few more dollars. Most likely to happen in the "If i just make $5 more cents I will get out as this recovers 50% of my previous loss" scenario - WRONG! Forget all previous trades (easier said than done, believe me), the only trade of interest is the current one! If it is right to get out for 10c profit, take it!

8)
    Noob mistake #3 is not marinating detailed records. You should know what trades you entered, why you entered them and what happened.

9)
    Noob mistake #4 is trading when your mind is in the wrong place; just had a major argument, feel depressed, or worst of all DRUNK! You have to have a positive mental attitude, if you don't, take the day off!
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: JOHON8

Hebodk
    Hebodk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2852

Looking forward for this thread. I use the software Betangel - thats a must for trading Betfair markets!

Hebodk

Not many traders around

decado

Quote Originally Posted by Hebodk View Post
    Not many traders around
    yeah, looks like. that's too bad.

jnsbanman
    jnsbanman's Avatar Become A Pro!

Well I am about to dabble with this... Just loaded my betfair account and tail decado today.

gvardal
    gvardal's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

What about the today's games? Are you trading in any of them?

jnsbanman

waiting to see what dec puts out later. Was thinking lay x on the inter game. 0:0 odds are thru the roof lol. and maybe lay under 2.5

gvardal

I 'm thinking of laying the draw in Kettering-Crawley but i 'm not sure yet. Inter's game appears to be dangerous. (well, all of the italian games are dangerous for trading imo)

Hebodk

Maybe dutching correct score in Bari-Inter game. Haven't checked the stats yet...

Hebodk

Just backed :

0:1
    0:2
    0:3
    1:1
    1:2
    1:3
    + other scores

Bari makes 0,64 goals per home game - I think Inter will dominate.

€ 100 for a profit of € 32 or less if I trade out / green up during game time.

jnsbanman

how do you trade out live?

Hebodk

Hi jns
    You can trade games "in-play" @ betfair. I use the software "betangel" and its amazing for betfair-trading.

jnsbanman

... looking up betangle now

Hebodk

I don't get commision - I'm just a big fan of the software

jnsbanman

hmm interesting.. thinking of backing 0-1 and 0-2 to start.

decado

nice to see this thread running. i use geeks toy, it is free but it cannot do dutching. for that i use this website to calculate dutch lays (usually lay 0-0, 0-1, 1-0)

as for inter, italy f-ked me many times. lots draws there.
    but i still like bari/inter tonight. with leonardo, inter stepped up with scoring (both ways). i just cannot see a 0-0 happen neither an inter loss. they are in reach of a cl spot and they will not miss this chance.

Hebodk

Decado -> you are right, Italian games can be difficult to predict.

Inter game - I can't see a 0-0 game - Bari won't score two goals against Inter. I can live with 1,2,3 or more goals to Inter

Soon2BRich
    Soon2BRich's Avatar Become A Pro!

hey decago, does this mean that ull post ur plays on here instead of ur other thread?

decado

i have another: Freamunde v Feirense lay 0-0 @11. might play this as well but it starts late. enough time until then.
    Also Kettering v Crawley Town is a good play - lay X @4.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon2BRich View Post
    hey decago, does this mean that ull post ur plays on here instead of ur other thread?
    all confirmed plays will be posted in my thread, of course. here we just talk.

TurkzZ
    TurkzZ's Avatar Become A Pro!

good luck bro, good to see some traders on here, remember guys as Decado says, Discipline is the be all and end all in trading

Karayilan9
    FENER / TRABZON
    Karayilan9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 105

Keep the discipline!

Hebodk

Thanx Kharja!! Inter goal...

Hebodk

Quote Originally Posted by decado View Post
    i have another: Freamunde v Feirense lay 0-0 @11.
    all confirmed plays will be posted in my thread, of course. here we just talk.
    Did you play Freamunde? I layed 0-0 after 15 min of play. I got odds 7,2 - thanks mate!

jnsbanman

argg damn Inter... I didnt back 0-3. had 0-1, 0-2 and 1-2... wrecked my day lol

decado

fukin english. i think i will not play lower league mid-weeks anymore, especially if they are playing late.

gvardal

Bad trading day. I laid X in in Kettering-Crawley and traded out at around 75' taking a loss of 5u.

Unfortunately i didn't lay X in Inter's game.

Hope today things 'll be better.

Hebodk

Quote Originally Posted by Hebodk View Post
    Just backed :

0:1
    0:2
    0:3
    1:1
    1:2
    1:3
    + other scores

Bari makes 0,64 goals per home game - I think Inter will dominate.

€ 100 for a profit of € 32 or less if I trade out / green up during game time.
    I had a good trading-day. I started to get a little nervous about the Inter-game but they went crazy the last 15-20 min.

I hit my lay 0-0 in Freamunde-Feirense.

All together a profit after commision : 45 € for a 200 € liability.

JOHON8
    gambling fallacy
    JOHON8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 338

I'm also trying different strategies on Betfair.

Barcelona have huge spreads of -3. They are covering right now, but there is opprotunity if they don't. You can place 1 unit on the -3 and even odds. When Barca scores 1 or 2 goals the odds drop dramatically, when they hit 3 it goes to around 1.1-1.05. At this point you lay the odds with the money you already backed with. This way you go for a huge payout with 0 risk. Obviously the risk at the beginning is that you need Barca to get early goals, but if they lose the -3 to like 3-1 for example, then the payoff is huge. This is an old strategy but it still works if you can predict games right.

Awesome thread decado looking forward to keep this discussion running.

gvardal

Just laid X in Bursaspor-Sivasspor game @ 4,3.

Thinking of laying X in Dortmund-Schalke also @ 3,85
    Last edited by gvardal; 02-04-11 at 12:26 PM.

decado

Quote Originally Posted by JOHON8 View Post
    Awesome thread decado looking forward to keep this discussion running.
    i don't see much trading and just want to exchange. after all i get a lot questions in my thread

Quote Originally Posted by gvardal View Post
    Just laid X in Bursaspor-Sivasspor game @ 4,3. Thinking of laying X in Dortmund-Schalke also @ 3,85
    i did bursa as well. lay x @3.3, around 40min great pick. hope it stays.

dortmund/schalke: i will take lay 0-0 and probably lay x but ill wait first 15mins to see how it goes.

gvardal

Already traded out of the Bursa game @ 8,2. I prefer to green up immediately if there isn't a so called "great team" playing...

As for the Dortmund game, imo there 'll be an early goal for Dortmund. Don't want you to take my word for it, just stick to your system.

Soon2BRich
    Soon2BRich's Avatar Become A Pro!

lol call me stupid but i still dont quite understand what trading out means, can someome explain it to me like they r talking to a child please? lol

gvardal

You lay the draw in a game lets say at odds 4,3. When the favourite team scores the odds of the draw go high ,lets say at 6,5. At this point you back the draw, that is trading out by staking an amount that gives you a profit no matter what the outcome of the game will be.

SilkBC
    SilkBC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 38

Quote Originally Posted by gvardal View Post
    You lay the draw in a game lets say at odds 4,3. When the favourite team scores the odds of the draw go high ,lets say at 6,5. At this point you back the draw, that is trading out by staking an amount that gives you a profit no matter what the outcome of the game will be.
    On the flip side, if the game does not appear to be going your way, you can get out to minimise your loss.

-SilkBC

12 Last