spartangreen
    spartangreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 479

World Cup Welcome: A Billion Condoms and 40,000 Sex Workers

CAPE TOWN, South Africa -- The taxi drivers hustling around the bars on Long Street in Cape Town say they are ready for all the soccer fans that will flood the city in June for the world cup. So are hotels, restaurants, breweries and, inevitably, prostitutes.

Arguably, the soccer World Cup is to the sex industry what the holiday season is to candy shops, a temporary surge of excited people feeling collectively festive, willing to pay for a bit of extra indulgence.

South Africa's Drug Central Authority estimates 40,000 sex workers will trickle in for the event from as far as Russia, the Congo and Nigeria to cater to the wide taste spectrum of some 400,000, mostly male, visitors and their apres-soccer needs.

Henry Africa, 49, drives a taxi in Cape Town and, aside from the usual airport pickups and winery tours, he also operates the "Bright Red Tour," which he expects to be a hit among soccer fans. For the equivalent of 500 dollars, he'll shuttle customers from strip bar to strip bar all night and even bring them over to a safe-sex practicing prostitute, a relevant selling point in a country where one in five adults are estimated to be HIV positive.

Read the whole soccer and sex story at Global Post.

mihaita666
    mihaita666's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 502

what a funny euphemism, sex worker )

Reload
    Winning Aint Easy
    Reload's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14996

1 in 5 are HIV positive?

VLR100
    VLR100's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 985

Quote Originally Posted by Reload View Post
    1 in 5 are HIV positive?
    The President, a polygamist, is a condom sceptic. He likes to take a shower after sex to "cut the risk of contracting HIV". Now if thats the attitude of the president, its not such a hard statistic to believe.

svenodds
    MOJO
    svenodds's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5885

Quote Originally Posted by Reload View Post
    1 in 5 are HIV positive?
    and thousand of drunk fans out celebrating

SRBI
    SRBI's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hosting World Cup in any African Nation = terrible fuqqin idea.

One must ask himself, why? There has got to be some political reason for it. I can't think of a single valid, or moral reason as to why they would choose Africa. Not that I have anything against the African people. But lets be real. Bad fuqqin idea folks.

mihaita666
    mihaita666's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 502

agree with you SRBI, last WC was just perfect, nothing to contest. I hope no major regretful incidents will occur this time. Next WC is in Brazil (I;ve heard Demize has a big house there and will host us )

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 633

Quote Originally Posted by SRBI View Post

One must ask himself, why? There has got to be some political reason for it. I can't think of a single valid, or moral reason as to why they would choose Africa. Not that I have anything against the African people. But lets be real. Bad fuqqin idea folks.
    Only 2 reasons i can think of
    PCness, Pity

VLR100
    VLR100's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 985

Quote Originally Posted by SRBI View Post

Just wait until something happens one of the visitors. Media shitstorm and everybody will be asking the exact same question.