Smogs
    Smogs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 499

Smogs Europa League Final Picks and Analysis - Atletico Madrid Vs Fulham

I've not been betting much recently for two reasons, building my bankroll for the World Cup, and failing to find anything with the end of European domestic football almost upon us.
    Also, i have given this game my full attention for about a week now and will eclipse my previous bet of the year which ended break even with Newcastle and Middlesbrough drawing in March and pushing my DNB.

This game is intriguing, not just because it involves two teams from Europe's best leagues, but because it is a showdown between over and under achievers.

The Matchup

Fulham enter this game having ended the season with a lot of praise and respect. They have consolidated their position in the Premier League and have beaten some huge teams to get to this final. Wins over two legs against Shaktar, Juventus, Wolfsburg and Hamburg, not to mention the 1-1 draw with Roma which should have been a home win in the group stage.
    From this they have clearly raised their game in Europe but as a result, their domestic form has suffered.
    As a Boro fan i can understand that as we finished 12th (like Fulham) when we reached the final in 2006.

The problem for Fulham is mainly twofold, Zamora and Duff are questionable for Wednesdays game, with Zamora least likely to play. We usually see coaches try and bluff with key player injuries but with Roy Hodgson i believe we can take his words at face value that they may not be fully fit or play at all.
    A lot will be required of the likes of Dempsey and Murphy to control the midfield battle, as Atletico could easily overwhelm Fulham with the quality they have.

Asuncao and Tiago were influential in their matchup with Gerrard, Lucas and Mascherano and i think the midfield duo of Etuhu and Murphy will struggle a lot in the final.

The key to Fulham has been their home form, but on the road in the Premier League this season they have been pretty poor. Their last 4 away trips in Europe have seen 3 draws and one defeat (Juve). I expect them to play tight and methodical with the emphasis on possession.

Atletico will look to control the play and encamp in Fulham's half for much of the game. I expect a very one sided game in that respect. Even with the threat of Zamora, i'd be shocked to see Fulham play 4-4-2 which would perhaps relieve the pressure on the Fulham defence, who should have a lot of work to do in this game keeping tabs on Aguero and Forlan.

The full backs for Fulham are going to have a tough time of it with Reyes and Simao looking to get the ball in, and with the constant changing of players that Hodgson has done, i do not think the team chemistry will be that of previous Europa ties.

Atletico have also had a pretty poor season by their standards, and will be of the same mindset here: to salvage a big cup from a inauspicious season so far.

The two teams have very differing aims, Atletico aim for Champions League, while Fulham are happy with mid-table. Whatever happens here for Fulham they have been on a good run this season. For Atletico however, they need this trophy or the season will be a disaster - mid table and no Europe next year to fund all the player investment.

The Scenario

In my opinion, everything points to an Atletico win. The similarities with Middlesbrough/Sevilla are uncanny:

Fulham have beaten teams rather closely up to this point, like Middlesbrough and also like Middlesbrough they experienced a huge turnaround in a game when they had to score 4 goals to progress (Boro vs Basel/Steau + Fulham vs Juve)
    Poor league form leading up to the final and dropping players to rest them for the big occasion. We did that and ended the season very badly, and then got humped 4-0 in Eindhoven.

Also, who does Fulham have going to the World Cup? No one, yet Atletico have Forlan, Aguero, Reyes (perhaps), Tiago to name just a few. They will want to come into the WC with that medal.

Betting

Atletico are roughly 11/10 to win the game outright, and 4/7 to lift the trophy.
    Fulham are 12/5 with the draw similar.

Fulham's rise to the final and media attention has been brilliant but i think they will fail to lift the trophy as overall quality should prove too strong for the Cottagers

Therefore, my bets are:

2 Units Atletico WIN @ 11/10

3 Units Atletico To Lift The Trophy @ 4/7

I just cannot see Fulham getting anything here, and i strongly believe that after a cagey 25 minutes, Atletico will dominate and win this by at least two goals.
    Points Awarded:

looch10 gave Smogs 5 SBR Point(s) for this post.

crow_ibanez
    crow_ibanez's Avatar Become A Pro!

agree with it

Sanka
    Sanka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2468

Yep, Atletico will take this me thinks.

Also thinking about taking the over 2,5 +130, maybe with a small safetybet on 2-0 exact score.

Smogs

I like the over also, cracking odds on it

Josu
    Josu's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2477

This game will be played on neutral ground right? 50-50 for the fans? Because Atletico still stinks outside of their home. I think Fulham will win the Europa League.

Smogs

Quote Originally Posted by Josu View Post
    This game will be played on neutral ground right? 50-50 for the fans? Because Atletico still stinks outside of their home. I think Fulham will win the Europa League.
    Fulham are just as bad on the road, neither team would convince me if i had to choose because of that reason

knightof7
    knightof7's Avatar Become A Pro!

even though it's neutral ground Bernabeau is in Madrid...not their homefield but not very far away either

Smogs

Quote Originally Posted by knightof7 View Post

even though it's neutral ground Bernabeau is in Madrid...not their homefield but not very far away either
    Wrong format dude, the Europa final is in Hamburg - The Bernabeu is the Champions League final

Wilforth
    Update your status
    Wilforth's Avatar Become A Pro!

Leaning Atletico here. Apologies to all Fulham fans.

ji03
    ji03's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 315

Like Atletico as well.

jscar3
    jscar3's Avatar Become A Pro!

expect draw in line with UEFA Policies.

mihaita666
    mihaita666's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 502

it's gonna be a close game until atletico scores once. Remember the last spanish-english Uefa Cup final ? Smogs surely remembers it :P

skrtelfan
    skrtelfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3337

The game is in Hamburg.

JOHON8
    gambling fallacy
    JOHON8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 338

Fulham rested players vs Arsenal for this final. Duff and Zamora rested weekend cause of injury, and coach says they are likely to play final.

Atletico are clear favorites just by looking at what the bookmakers have set for the odds you can tell. I'm just wondering if Atletico can fail in this game like they have domestically this season. Fulham have a better coach and returning players, personally I'd rather watch a couple mins of the match and see how both look like.

I don't like betting finals, clearly it's a different setting. The stakes are higher and it really is up to who wants it most rather than who looks better.

Giuvara
    Giuvara's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3033

I have to say I'm supporting Fulham in this match, I always cheer for the underdogs in such games. I'm expecting the neutral fans in Hamburg to be with the British also, even if they took out the home team, and with some good support from London, Fulham could be slightly favored by the audience. Atletico have the better players up front and it will be difficult for the Cottagers, especially with Zamora slightly injured. I expect it to be a duel between Atletico's offense and Fulham's defense. The winner of this duel will probably bring the cup home. If Atletico scores first it will be extremely difficult for them to lose the trophy.

Smogs

Quote Originally Posted by mihaita666 View Post
    it's gonna be a close game until atletico scores once. Remember the last spanish-english Uefa Cup final ? Smogs surely remembers it :P
    I also remember the semi-final mate

Bucharest is an amazing city

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!
    Ace_of_Spades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Fulham have this.

DarkNite
    DarkNite's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

If in case the draw occurs like 0-0 or 1-1, who will win the cup?

swiss88
    swiss88's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkNite View Post
    If in case the draw occurs like 0-0 or 1-1, who will win the cup?
    If there is a draw after 90 minutes, there is an extra-time of 30 minutes (2 periods of 15 minutes) and if there is still a draw after 120 minutes we have a penalty shootout. I guess it's the silver goal rule that applies in the extra-time but I'm not sure.
    As for the game, I think Atletico will take it but I haven't made any picks yet..

Smogs

Split decision so far, a lot of love for Fulham, but i haven't heard any solid reasoning for it except 'fairytale' etc.

My only worry as far as i can see is Madrid's proneness for mistakes at the back - what else have Fulham got that can put them above Madrid in this tie?

Socrates
    Socrates's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

I've got Atleti, too much talent up front. They want this more then Fulham, who I feel, are just happy to be there.

SoV
    "Why always me"
    SoV's Avatar Become A Pro!

Roy Hogdson is the reason why Fulham will win. Much more tactically astute than Flores.

Wilforth
    Update your status
    Wilforth's Avatar Become A Pro!

Result:

Atletico 1-1 Fulham

Picks:
    Draw +220
    UNDER 2.5 (-150)

Fulham +0.5 (if you have that option).

fuglyboy86hi
    fuglyboy86hi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 67

leaning atletico in 90 minutes but if it'll draw in normal time then surely FULHAM will snatch the trophy

mihaita666
    mihaita666's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 502

there is no metal rule (nor gold, nor silver, nor titanium) and I think it's better this way.

DarkNite
    DarkNite's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

Quote Originally Posted by Wilforth View Post
    Result:

Atletico 1-1 Fulham

Picks:
    Draw +220
    UNDER 2.5 (-150)

Fulham +0.5 (if you have that option).
    I have the same feeling, that it will be the DRAW of 0-0 or 1-1.
    The same thing happened on Tuesday that the majority of people picked Nothingham but I picked Blackpool.

nulldah
    nulldah's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 312

depends on how long fulham can hold atletico attack, once they r conceded, they will panic and start attacking like boro few years back, then atletico will do the same thing like sevilla did. but if they can hold and frustate atletico, probably scored a goal through counter, win or force it to extra time, the trophy will be fulham to throw away.

this will be played at neutral place, and both teams away form are very bad, but i will like to favor atletico. this is final, so there will be tickets for neutral, what is the odds these neutrals are pissed off hamburg fans?

history wise, how often we see spanish club destroy english club in european competition final? barcelona destroy arsenal years back at cl, then did the same thing to man united a year ago. sevilla did the same thing again in uefa cup to boro.

minet123
    Is JJ a Higher Power ?
    minet123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3753

Fulham has not impressed away from craven but the look like the team of destiny
    small punt on the Cottagers

JOHON8
    gambling fallacy
    JOHON8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 338

Quote Originally Posted by SoV View Post
    Roy Hogdson is the reason why Fulham will win. Much more tactically astute than Flores.
    You're right they have the better coach, but it actually comes down to Zamora and Duff being fit and playing well, otherwise they can't compete offensively vs Aguero, Forlan etc...

Arsenal
    Arsenal's Avatar Become A Pro!

I have a small play on Fulham to win the trophy.

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!
    Ace_of_Spades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    I have a small play on Fulham to win the trophy.
    Like that bet.

Czu81
    Czu81's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5709

Gogogo fulham!! Go gera!

valgan
    valgan's Avatar Become A Pro!

atletico will win the final

Smogs

Such a split of opinion, seems more like a coin toss. Still no official word on Zamora but looks like he will start along with Duff.

Possible Fulham line up:

Schwarzer

Hughes Pantsil Hangeland Konchesky

Gera Murphy Etuhu Duff

Dempsey

Zamora

Glada Tartan
    Swedish brännboll-expert ;D
    Glada Tartan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Fulham will win

123 Last