Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

USA vs Argentina Saturday- Would win be biggest ever for US Soccer?

(First, I dont care what happened in 1930 )

It feels like there have been bigger games but they were more like games the US shouldn't lose to teams like Algeria. The Spain win in 2009 was big. Where would this one rank? How about TV ratings?? Messi vs USA on US soil! Last time US played Argentina was 2010 and it didnt mean anything.

Argentina is big fav to win vs Venezuela for right to play the US. Argentina is priced between -328 to -460

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110

JJ, stop typing your post about how the US sucks and Argentina is going to kill us. Or that USA soccer should go feck itself. Just stop

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

We'll get crushed. Nothing to see here.

DA_MOSS
    Yepp
    DA_MOSS's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 676

With Jermaine Jones, Bobby Wood and Bedoya all being suspended for this match; yes, probably the biggest win in USMNT history

We'll probably get crushed 3/4-1 or something though

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4547

Would definitely be the biggest win in history. Though their odds of winning are slim. Argentina the number one ranked team in the world by a comfortable margin.

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDAY View Post
    We'll get crushed. Nothing to see here.
    Everyone pound US now
    Points Awarded:

gauchojake gave CanuckG 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Thunderground
    Thunderground's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 277

If the US parks the bus it won't be a blowout. But if the game opens up, it's all Argentina. The thing is that the US is still the same blue collar bunch as 20 years ago. Hard work and team spirit can get you somewhere, but not over the hump. The gap to the world's top teams is very real, and it will not be closed. But a lot of lesser teams have adopted a damage-control type of game, which makes for very boring games to watch, but also for closer games than the class difference would suggest. Off the top of my head I would say that out of ten games between these teams the US might win one because of luck, and there could be three or four ties, with Argentina winning five or six games.

mirinquads
    Eat my enormous ballsack boys
    mirinquads's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7742

Americans are beginning to care about suuccer now, the most boring sport on the planet? WHat's this damn world coming to?

gregmav1
    gregmav1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1350

it would be a big win... im not sure about biggest, but up there. our win in 2009 vs spain was very big, and win in 2014 world cup v ghana was huge too... would argentina be our biggest? win vs spain who was undefeated in like 32 in a row was pretty big, i'll say yeah argentina win probably bigger. and yes, very unlikely to happen haha. lets go usa

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110

Quote Originally Posted by mirinquads View Post
    Americans are beginning to care about suuccer now, the most boring sport on the planet? WHat's this damn world coming to?
    My theory is that more people are sick of the prima donnas in most US sports. Sick of leagues set up for Stars to be more important than teams. Soccer might be the only sport where its about shape and working together 100% of the time.

Im a basketball guy and love Curry but there are times where it feels like an All Star game. Dudes are just taking turns pulling up from 40 feet.

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dozer View Post
    My theory is that more people are sick of the prima donnas in most US sports. Sick of leagues set up for Stars to be more important than teams. Soccer might be the only sport where its about shape and working together 100% of the time.

Im a basketball guy and love Curry but there are times where it feels like an All Star game. Dudes are just taking turns pulling up from 40 feet.

Dozer, I'll convince you to be an MMA guy.

Much more entertaining than all the other sports.

CWD
    Update your status
    CWD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

like above said its up there if they somehow win it all that could be the one? the spain win up there too

that portugal draw in the WC still stings bad

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderground View Post
    If the US parks the bus it won't be a blowout. But if the game opens up, it's all Argentina. The thing is that the US is still the same blue collar bunch as 20 years ago. Hard work and team spirit can get you somewhere, but not over the hump. The gap to the world's top teams is very real, and it will not be closed. But a lot of lesser teams have adopted a damage-control type of game, which makes for very boring games to watch, but also for closer games than the class difference would suggest. Off the top of my head I would say that out of ten games between these teams the US might win one because of luck, and there could be three or four ties, with Argentina winning five or six games.
    Thats a good point and in this tournament with no overtimes, we could put the game in the hands of the keepers where we probably have better odds.

Valenzuela is +1000 or more. Considering we are at home and people want to bet on the US, I'll guess USA opens +650 ?

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

US could easily lose 5-0 with all the players missing.

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110

Quote Originally Posted by DA_MOSS View Post
    With Jermaine Jones, Bobby Wood and Bedoya all being suspended for this match; yes, probably the biggest win in USMNT history

We'll probably get crushed 3/4-1 or something though
    Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    US could easily lose 5-0 with all the players missing.
    We sure could. Thats what happens when #1 plays #31.

It will be a good scenario for Nagbe to show without any pressure on him and his coach. US can lose this game and smile if they have something to build on. Some people think Nagbe is one of our best players but hasnt had time to gel yet. Then there is the kid... on paper he should be starting for US. He plays at a higher club level than anyone.

If Argentina is -400 vs Venezuela, what line will USA get without the starters?

gregmav1

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dozer View Post
    We sure could. Thats what happens when #1 plays #31.

It will be a good scenario for Nagbe to show without any pressure on him and his coach. US can lose this game and smile if they have something to build on. Some people think Nagbe is one of our best players but hasnt had time to gel yet. Then there is the kid... on paper he should be starting for US. He plays at a higher club level than anyone.

If Argentina is -400 vs Venezuela, what line will USA get without the starters?
    i was wondering that myself, right now venezuela has +1900 odds to reach final and USA has +290 odds to reach final. that's actually not that big of an underdog... im sure bookmakers pretty much assuming argentina beats venezuela hence the +1900 odds, so USA looks like it will probably only be about +300 to advance vs argentina, which isn't too crazy high. probably about -450 moneyline for argentina

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

With missing players and Messi starting it could be -300 Argentina. It won't be -400 since US plays at home.

Grivas_Digeni
    Mini Horses FTW
    Grivas_Digeni's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23436

0-2 and only if Argentina feels like letting up.

Your best bet is to stay back, similar to what the Czech successfully did against Spain for almost two halves.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Copa does not mean a lot

It is the world cup

I guess would be a big win but does Argentina really care?

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

US can definitely get a draw then it goes right to penalties

People acting like Argentina will easily win like 3-0 or 4-0 are off base

They probably win but it wouldn't be a shocker if we advance

I would be surprised if we flat out beat them in regulation but not crazy shocked

Our players missing aren't a huge deal...Zusi, Yedlin, and Nagbe for Jones Bedoya and Wood isn't a huge deal

Missing Jones hurts but they could also play Beckerman if they need a defensive mid

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyLineDawg View Post
    US can definitely get a draw then it goes right to penalties

People acting like Argentina will easily win like 3-0 or 4-0 are off base

They probably win but it wouldn't be a shocker if we advance

I would be surprised if we flat out beat them in regulation but not crazy shocked

Our players missing aren't a huge deal...Zusi, Yedlin, and Nagbe for Jones Bedoya and Wood isn't a huge deal

Missing Jones hurts but they could also play Beckerman if they need a defensive mid
    Remember USA-Germany from 2014 World Cup? USA parked the bus and played with 10 defenders the whole game. Lost 1-0 but did not have any shots on goal. This will be Kluelessman's strategy for the game.
    Points Awarded:

lakerboy gave pavyracer 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16133

US plays winner of Agentina/Venezuela on Tuesday not saturday

jjgold

Most soccer games are competitive due to the nature of low scoring affairs I would think we're going to play decent whoever we do play in the next couple of rounds

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

Extra time? Draw? What are you guys smoking? US will get their shit pushed in the regulation time...it's not even a question at this point.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: cogiditopapa

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Rocket View Post
    Extra time? Draw? What are you guys smoking? US will get their shit pushed in the regulation time...it's not even a question at this point.

My thoughts exactly.

gregmav1

yeah i think most likely scenario is US on defensive pretty much all game, argentina doing through ball after through ball. we might get a lucky run or header or something, but overall 3-1 argentina or something in that realm. our D is honestly very very solid, but messi is going to crack us more than a few times

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13300

Pound the winners boys

Thunderground

I was in the stadium when the US beat Colombia in the 1994 World Cup. Colombia was among the favorites to win it all. I'd say that was the biggest moment in men's US soccer to date. It was a real step up. But there hasn't been a next step since then. The US will never win a World Cup, so the Copa America would be the most prestigious cup within reach. It's not impossible, because Argentina and Brazil don't really care that much about the Copa. Their eye is on mostly on the World Cup.

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderground View Post
    I was in the stadium when the US beat Colombia in the 1994 World Cup. Colombia was among the favorites to win it all. I'd say that was the biggest moment in men's US soccer to date. It was a real step up. But there hasn't been a next step since then. The US will never win a World Cup, so the Copa America would be the most prestigious cup within reach. It's not impossible, because Argentina and Brazil don't really care that much about the Copa. Their eye is on mostly on the World Cup.
    You obviously don't know about football that much to say those things. Both of those countries live and breathe football - they take every single game seriously including meaningless friendlies.

jjgold

I don't know if you guys were realize this copa is a dot on the map versus the euro cup going on right now

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6482

Be physical with the midgets, knock them on their asses a few times. Get them off their game who knows what happens. Not like Argentina hasn't disappointed before.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7726

Quote Originally Posted by swordsandtequila View Post
    Be physical with the midgets, knock them on their asses a few times. Get them off their game who knows what happens. Not like Argentina hasn't disappointed before.

USA is a joke. Argentina can beat them with 2n squad.

jjgold

Lakerman if you think so put $5k on them

blackbart
    blackbart's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20709

hfa is big

Thunderground

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Rocket View Post
    You obviously don't know about football that much to say those things. Both of those countries live and breathe football - they take every single game seriously including meaningless friendlies.
    Do you truly think that the world's top players in any sport would get up for a friendly?

Why do you think two of the three Barcelona stars didn't play, and Messi has only played about an hour so far? No Neymar, no Suarez, and Messi appearances in the second half only. The club has the priority. If this was the World Cup it would be a very different story.

Just look at the winners of the Copa America since 1995. Brazil is there. But other than that? Uruguay twice, Colombia, and Chile. What does that tell you? That's an opportunity for teams with virtually no shot at winning the World Cup?
    Last edited by Thunderground; 06-18-16 at 02:31 AM.

12 Last