allang198
    allang198's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 32

Could soccer ever be number 1 sport in the states?

If yes why?
    If no why?

Biggest sport in the world!

farmhouse1
    farmhouse1's Avatar Become A Pro!

So you gonna watch the mls after the World Cup??? Hahahah fuxk no only World Cup is a big deal all over the world.

hurricane1091
    hurricane1091's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6469

I watch MLS and have season tickets. Can't wait till your dumb ass is out of the soccer forums after the World Cup.

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Tennis even more popular. Soccer will never be. Best talent in which we are used to in other sports resides in Europe. We only want the best.

THam12
    Money is the motivation!
    THam12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2280

Just a dumbass thread.

Obviously the answer is no.

Not hard.

hurricane1091

MLS is 3rd most attended sport. MLS can be more popular than basketball and hockey in the next 10-15 years easily.

http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer/s...american-sport

farmhouse1
    farmhouse1's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hahahaha don't kid your self buddy. People wanna see the best soccer players from all over the world. Don't nobody give a shit about the mls hahahah anybody who watches mls must be veryyyy lonely hahahah
    Quote Originally Posted by hurricane1091 View Post
    MLS is 3rd most attended sport. MLS can be more popular than basketball and hockey in the next 10-15 years easily.

saints1856
    saints1856's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4707

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Tennis even more popular. Soccer will never be. Best talent in which we are used to in other sports resides in Europe. We only want the best.
    Tennis?? Are you drunk?

I do agree with your second point though. Our best athletes play basketball/football/baseball in the US. Imagine if Lebron, Mike Trout, and LeSean McCoy grew up playing soccer.... we would dominate

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

No. If I have to tell you you're obviously not American.

We love action and violence which is the opposite of soccer. Only the massive Mexican population would even push us close to making it popular.

Football (nfl) mimicks an analogy of war. When Beckham came the only people that cared or knew watch Gossip shows and read people magazine who aren't even soccer fans

Cappinpicks
    Cappinpicks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Quote Originally Posted by saints1856 View Post
    Tennis?? Are you drunk?

I do agree with your second point though. Our best athletes play basketball/football/baseball in the US. Imagine if Lebron, Mike Trout, and LeSean McCoy grew up playing soccer.... we would dominate
    why would he be tennis is 10000000x better than boring ass soccer

hurricane1091

saints1856

Yesterday was proof that soccer has become more popular in the US. Bars everywhere were packed full of people watching the US/Ghana match where I live. But, those same people wont be watching Premier league or MLS on a regular basis. When the USMNT plays, it's like the Olympics - you root for your country

minet123
    Is JJ a Higher Power ?
    minet123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3753

No
    Draws

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Last edited by daneblazer; 06-17-14 at 03:43 PM.

saints1856

Quote Originally Posted by Cappinpicks View Post
    why would he be tennis is 10000000x better than boring ass soccer
    Nobody goes out to bars in droves (like they did yesterday) to watch tennis dude

hurricane1091

I wish you guys were at that game for the picture I posted. 26,000 people packed in for New York vs DC, the best rivalry in MLS. You couldn't help but love it. This is coming from someone who watches every sport and is a diehard hockey fan that has been to the Stanley Cup. Coming from someone who lifts weights , loves , drinks beers, and loves manly shit. European players play like pussies, not Americans.

I love sports in general though. Every sport has something to take away from it. Except basketball. That shit sucks.

DR225
    DR225's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

The only thing I like about soccer is that games start when they are supposed to start. Brazil/Mexico had a 3pm start time and it's 3:10 pm and they've played 10 minutes. The nfl is also sorta like this but not as exact, while baseball starts like 15-20 minutes after 7/8/10 pm.

hurricane1091

Honest question: I don't hate baseball. However, it's not that exciting. Very slow paced. Lots of time in between pitches. Lots of balls and fouls and all that. How does it manage to be so popular?

Cappinpicks
    Cappinpicks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Yesterday was proof that soccer has become more popular in the US. Bars everywhere were packed full of people watching the US/Ghana match where I live. But, those same people wont be watching Premier league or MLS on a regular basis. When the USMNT plays, it's like the Olympics - you root for your country
    people are always playing tennis in country clubs more than golf even probably just not in new orleans lol that was only because it was USA's first match nobody will care when they get eliminated again

DR225
    DR225's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

Honest question: I don't hate baseball. However, it's not that exciting. Very slow paced. Lots of time in between pitches. Lots of balls and fouls and all that. How does it manage to be so popular?
    The excitement in baseball is summed up in this situation: based loaded, bottom of the 9th inning, two outs, shitty closer on the mound and it's a one run game. These situations have aged me tremendously over the years. I think the only situation that's more intense is a no huddle offense going for the winning touchdown with like a minute and change left.

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

If no why? would rather watch fukkin paint dry

saints1856

Quote Originally Posted by Cappinpicks View Post
    people are always playing tennis in country clubs more than golf even probably just not in new orleans lol that was only because it was USA's first match nobody will care when they get eliminated again
    Judging by your punctuation and grammar (or lack thereof), I doubt you make enough money to know what a country club looks like dude.

Simon Gruber
    scientific thought and reasoning
    Simon Gruber's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

American football might have a shelf life to be honest. People are starting to figure out how dangerous the sport is long term health wise. If the NFL ever ceases to exist it's fathomable that soccer might replace it, especially with the influx of illegal immigrants to this shithole country over the last 2 decades and the rate at which they reproduce.

I don't see it ever overtaking baseball though as the most popular sport but wtf knows.

freeVICK
    freeVICK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6501

Not when our best player is make a wish cancer patient Michael Bradley

lovetobet
    lovetobet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2200

The question is could it ever be #1 and the answer, at least looking forward over a reasonable amount of time (30-40 years), is NO, period. This is coming from someone who watches a fair amount of soccer (not just world cup but not MLS) and enjoys the game but it's 4th on my list of spectator sports behind Football, Hockey and baseball (World Cup is technically higher up but I'm talking soccer as a whole since that's the real question).

The real answer to this is simple, history. Why do the Canadians like Hockey-History. Why do we like the sports we do history. Same with soccer, golf, etc. in other countries. These sports have such a foot hold it would be very hard to knock them out.

Focusing on #1 is silly the real question is can Soccer become the #3 or #4 sport in this country and with the influx of foreign influence and it's popularity with the younger demographic the simple answer is YES!! Or at least it has a chance over time. To start we will need a poster boy; our Ronaldo, Messi, Pele, Maradona, etc., soccer needs that American born superstar and that person is not on this team if he's out there he's between 6-16 years old.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Yes if we get a couple teams from the states to join the English Premier League and if USA wins the World Cup and if we get to host a World Cup preferably in Nashville Tennessee.

bob6199
    bob6199's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2477

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    Yes if we get a couple teams from the states to join the English Premier League and if USA wins the World Cup and if we get to host a World Cup preferably in Nashville Tennessee.
    you do realize that when a country hosts the world cup it's the ENTIRE country not just a city....

BennyBigNuts
    BennyBigNuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1078

Saloon this fukkin garbage.
    We play REAL sports in the USA.
    Not women's slide-tackling garbage.

SamDiamond
    SamDiamond's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Do you see the problem with that?

For one, the NBA and NHL play in arenas where 20-30K is the max capacity.

Soccer is being played in 75K seat stadiums and still only averaging 17K fans per.

Please.

SamDiamond
    SamDiamond's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    Seriously?

Nashville, penetrating, Tennessee?

You do realize Bear.. that when the 2022 World Cup is awarded back to the USA....it will involve NY, Chicago, Los Angels, Dallas, Denver, Miami?

Nashville is right up there with Pigsfuck, Arkansas.

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Quote Originally Posted by allang198 View Post
    If yes why?
    If no why?

Biggest sport in the world!
    It's too hard for you to comprehend...but in a nutshell it comes down to two things....dollars and a piece of the calendar that it can fit into the American Sports Year. The reason it will never be anything but a fringe sport is because it goes up against many other sports from football (including college) to basketball (including college) to baseball, to hockey, to NASCAR, etc. etc. that overlap one another and take up every inch of the calendar, and arena, and stadium, and the MLS has built the tiny little 20,000 seat stadiums that they're selling out in some rabid cities like Seattle, Portland, KC, and a few others, but other cities they can't fill but half of the stadiums. There is too many sports to go around and not enough dollars to support everything everywhere....so soccer falls probably down below hockey. Soccer does well in other parts of the world like Algeria, South Korea, Egypt, or Belgium because they don't nearly have the same sort of professional or college sports influence

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1842

Tennis?? Are you drunk?

None of them would do anything. You don't understand how soccer works or what body types fit it's positions.

That's like saying if lebron played ping pong all his life he'd be them Chinese for gold...never...

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

No although could easily surpass baseball and hockey though

trends say yes

homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11114

cut the field in half and let them pelt the goalie for 90 mins with shots,

then it could become a top flight sport in US

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

Soccer will get up there, it will take awhile though. First and foremost the US has to be more competitive internationally.

12 Last