View Poll Results: Reading F.C., are Kings of the Championship, but how will they do in the Premiership?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • They'll be Champions of course!

1 11.11%
  • Upper to mid-table success.

2 22.22%
  • Mid to lower table fiasco.

5 55.56%
  • They'll be relegated in their 1st season!

1 11.11%
    ourbet
    ourbet's Avatar Become A Pro!

Reading F.C.

2005/06 runaway champions of the Coca-Cola Championship, but how will they fare in next season’s Barclays Premiership?

adriano
    all-in
    adriano's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think probably they'll behave more like this year's Wigan, than Sunderland next year.

totobernal
    totobernal's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think they'll be closer to west ham than any of those two, or i think they'll be at mid table or at the bottom, but they'll remain in the premiership after the next season is over... you can already have an idea of what it would be by looking at the FA cup results

ourbet

Quote Originally Posted by totobernal
    I think they'll be closer to west ham than any of those two, or i think they'll be at mid table or at the bottom, but they'll remain in the premiership after the next season is over... you can already have an idea of what it would be by looking at the FA cup results
    That would indeed be ironic - West Ham I mean totobernal, bearing in mind Alan Pardew's (West Ham's current manager) ignominious departure from Reading F.C. in September 2003.

As for reading-in the result's of Reading's F.A. Cup run, you have remember please that Steve Coppell played pretty much the reserve team here.

natrass
    natrass's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think reading will be ok. Unlike sunderland they have won the title with passing, controlled football as oppossed to 'championship' football per se.

I think sheff united (if they go up) will definately come straight back down.

If Leeds or Palace go up in 3rd they will be ok. Watford would come straight back down (but they are the best championship side of the three).

Just my thoughts.

ourbet

Congratulations Reading F.C. on your first ever promotion to the top flight of English Football (Soccer) and your record final points tally (106!).

Congratulations too to Sheffield United who after 12 seasons are welcomed back to the Premiership!

ourbet

An update...

Here's a nice write-up by respected ex-Partick Thistle, Liverpool & Scotland defender, Alan Hansen - who now writes a weekly column for BBC Sport. Alan writes:
    It was a really good performance by Reading in their 1-1 draw with Manchester United on Saturday.

I think it goes back to Reading's first game of the season, when they were 2-0 down against Middlesbrough and their heads could have gone down and they could have fallen apart.

If they had been beaten by four or five goals then, instead of producing a fabulous comeback to win 3-2, their season may have taken a very different turn.

They have grit and determination but more so, organisation. And they do not panic, they just kept playing and are getting their just rewards.

Steve Coppell is a very experienced and very good manager - to take Reading into the Premiership and have them looking very comfortable is a tribute and testimony to him.

Reading are very similar to Wigan last year, they have lots of pace about them and I think it is essential when you come into the Premiership.

And against United on Saturday, Reading were really tested, particularly in the last 20 minutes when they were under siege.

That they survived tells you so much about the character of the team.

Perhaps people might say Reading could have hung on for the victory, but a draw was a good result for them as United pummelled them at the end.

For Reading to have the ability to consolidate so early in the season makes me think they can follow Wigan's lead from last year.
    So that's 8th position after 6 matches. I wonder where they'll be after 38?

adriano
    all-in
    adriano's Avatar Become A Pro!

I watched 2 or 3 Reading games already this season, and i tell you i simply love this team They still have further potential in midfield in Sidwell for example...

Go to hell all the Chelseas, MUs etc. The football this team plays is what i like most in soccer.

I see Hansen is mentioning Wigan there, something which i did do as early as the beginning of april

ourbet

Quote Originally Posted by adriano
    I see Hansen is mentioning Wigan there, something which i did do as early as the beginning of april
    Yes indeed you DID Sir. So kudos to you for that.