wombat
    wombat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11304

Why do people make it look like parlays are some complicated complex bet. A four team parlay is basically a single bet that you go all in four times. If you like the action then go for it. If you are more reserved then stick to single bets. I find parlays are the best way to bet tennis.

BeatTheJerk
    BeatTheJerk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

The only reason why I have the books money over the years is because of big parlay wins, have gotten lucky.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: trobin31

Mike Huntertz
    Mike Huntertz's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22604

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    Why do people make it look like parlays are some complicated complex bet. A four team parlay is basically a single bet that you go all in four times. If you like the action then go for it. If you are more reserved then stick to single bets. I find parlays are the best way to bet tennis.
    If you win one game and play the winnings to another etc., four times it will play considerably more than a 4 team parlay. Of course they need to be at different times. Thus parlays are a bad prop.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Entire United States sports books gear to parlayed it’s unbelievable

BeatTheJerk

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Huntertz View Post
    If you win one game and play the winnings to another etc., four times it will play considerably more than a 4 team parlay. Of course they need to be at different times. Thus parlays are a bad prop.
    This is true, the only thing I would contest of doing the parlay instead is that you lock in the numbers you want on all four games days prior to the game for football.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

hope no one had buffalo ml or spread in parlay or single bet lol can’t remember the last time a bowling green team scored 56 pts and they did it with only 11 first downs the entire game. buffalo had 36 first downs and 44 pts

wombat
    wombat's Avatar SBR PRO

No, it does not pay out considerably more. Do the math and try one out. It's the same payout.

A parlay is essentially rolling over all of your winnings into another bet consecutively.

Mike Huntertz

Quote Originally Posted by BeatTheJerk View Post
    This is true, the only thing I would contest of doing the parlay instead is that you lock in the numbers you want on all four games days prior to the game for football.

True that!

trobin31
    trobin31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10365

My my, my mamma says, parlays is the devil

Mike Huntertz

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    No, it does not pay out considerably more. Do the math and try one out. It's the same payout.

A parlay is essentially rolling over all of your winnings into another bet consecutively.
    Disagree but will try out a test for fun to make sure, you do one also!

Mike Huntertz

Quote Originally Posted by trobin31 View Post
    Mama be right!

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

I do parlays at SBR Book because it takes 3 days to grade plays. Anyone thought of this? Sometimes you don't have time between games to wait for book to grade play because the game lasted longer (Tenn/Ole Miss a few weeks back).

BeatTheJerk

Mike Huntertz

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    I do parlays at SBR Book because it takes 3 days to grade plays. Anyone thought of this? Sometimes you don't have time between games to wait for book to grade play because the game lasted longer (Tenn/Ole Miss a few weeks back).
    ......and there is that.........I may have to start slowly back pedaling.......hahahha

wombat
    wombat's Avatar SBR PRO

Parlays seem to always get a bad rep but they're a good way to perform a heat check while limiting exposure imo. It would cost you much more to place single wagers on four straight bets while you can do one 4 team parlay for a reduced amount. Its a good way to compound your winnings if you're running hot.

TommieGunshot
    TommieGunshot's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6350

The goal is to stay in the game and always have a bankroll so you can fight back.
    One option would be to change the goal to earn money. In which case the probabilities relative to payouts are what matter. And that does not change if the bets are in a parlay or not.
    Points Awarded:

KVB gave TommieGunshot 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Mike Huntertz

Quote Originally Posted by TommieGunshot View Post
    One option would be to change the goal to earn money. In which case the probabilities relative to payouts are what matter. And that does not change if the bets are in a parlay or not.
    That's true but if the goal is to earn money, play the stock market.
    It has a positive return, but gambling has a net negative return.
    Gambling company stocks go up because gamblers lose money.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

I have $500,000 in the stock market right now. I bet sports for fun to win a little..not that I need the money to pay bills. A lot of people here think that the average guy who works 8 to 5 has time to build models and calculate probabilities on a parlay. If I see a game I like I hammer it. And I'm most of the times correct. You get the experience from 30 years of watching sports and playing sports. You got to think like a player and a coach when you gamble and not like a Harvard mathematician.

mjsuax13
    mjsuax13's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 887

An example- just lost a parlay with Oilers -1.5 as my last play. They gave up the goal with 6 seconds left! Amazing.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11874

Parlays give gamblers hope for hitting that big payday.

Also if a couple teams they really like to win are playing at the same times and they don't want to risk the straight bets when placing the same amounts on each of those teams, they'll just parlay them up instead. Less money to risk.

I'm guilty of that at times. When betting odds are high on multiple bets you can parlay them up also.

Covering the #
    Covering the #'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4205

I've explained this before in a different thread. I never make a bet that I can lose more than I can win. For instance, take a standard line that is -110. Why not parlay a 2nd heavy favorite to make it plus odds? For example, let's say I like Steelers +4.5 vs Browns. I would have to risk 110 to win 100. Let's say for example take the Bills moneyline to add to this. Bills should be a slam dunk winner. Currently now I only risk 100 instead of 110, to win 112. So in the end my original risks drops 10 and winnings go up 12. You can always make it more than a 2 teamer with heavy chalk with other games or live bets. Then if you want to get real greedy, you can live bet on the opposite side of Bills game spread to catch a middle.

If none of this makes sense or appeals to anyone, play alternate lines at plus odds before game starts. You can always let that play ride or try to middle if things start out well. Good luck, everyone.

Covering the #
    Covering the #'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4205

Quote Originally Posted by Covering the # View Post
    I've explained this before in a different thread. I never make a bet that I can lose more than I can win. For instance, take a standard line that is -110. Why not parlay a 2nd heavy favorite to make it plus odds? For example, let's say I like Steelers +4.5 vs Browns. I would have to risk 110 to win 100. Let's say for example take the Bills moneyline to add to this. Bills should be a slam dunk winner. Currently now I only risk 100 instead of 110, to win 112. So in the end my original risks drops 10 and winnings go up 12. You can always make it more than a 2 teamer with heavy chalk with other games or live bets. Then if you want to get real greedy, you can live bet on the opposite side of Bills game spread to catch a middle.

If none of this makes sense or appeals to anyone, play alternate lines at plus odds before game starts. You can always let that play ride or try to middle if things start out well. Good luck, everyone.
    My point with this is, you don't even have to hit 50% to make a profit and it will work in the long run. Don't get taxed by the vig.

Gaze73
    Gaze73's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1192

4 teamer parlay at evens = +1500

Going all in 4 times at evens = +100; +200; +400; +800 = +1500

Do you even math bro?

I agree with the point that +EV picks multiply their value in a parlay, so they're not necessarily bad, but most people who do parlays have no idea if their picks are +EV, which means they aren't. You need a really good model to know if a -500 fav should really be -550 in the long run.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: wombat

manny24
    pay Bobby
    manny24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 649

I have $500,000 in the stock market right now. I bet sports for fun to win a little..not that I need the money to pay bills. A lot of people here think that the average guy who works 8 to 5 has time to build models and calculate probabilities on a parlay. If I see a game I like I hammer it. And I'm most of the times correct. You get the experience from 30 years of watching sports and playing sports. You got to think like a player and a coach when you gamble and not like a Harvard mathematician.
    so many lies hard to know where to start

carry on Mr racer

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32303

Not if you can bet them with a book that allows correlated bets they are not evil.

TommieGunshot

It is very much possible to bet on sports with a positive return. For example:

If I see a game I like I hammer it. And I'm most of the times correct. You get the experience from 30 years of watching sports and playing sports. You got to think like a player and a coach when you gamble and not like a Harvard mathematician.
    Depending on what rate you mean be "most of the time", it would be very easy to show that pavy would increase profits by taking money out of the stock market and putting it into sports bets.

TommieGunshot

Quote Originally Posted by Gaze73 View Post
    but most people who do parlays have no idea if their picks are +EV, which means they aren't. You need a really good model to know if a -500 fav should really be -550 in the long run.
    Is this really any different than most people who bet on sports with single game wagers?

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19593

Same as the lottery: the lure of risking a little and winning a lot while not knowing math.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Plus it’s great for small Gamblers you need $.10 to get into the game that’s incredible

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32303

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHorseplayer View Post
    Same as the lottery: the lure of risking a little and winning a lot while not knowing math.
    If you know the math sometimes it's to the bettor's advantage to make a parlay wager at times.

onetrikpony
    onetrikpony's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2480

Move some of that money to crypto if you want to really become wealthy

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop
    StackinGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4514

If you have any clue, in general, of what +EV or -EV means ... 99.9% you aren't betting parlays, certainly 100% you aren't betting 4 teamers and higher. Round Robins? Perhaps.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quuestion for math gurus:

Oct 31, 2021 12:04 AM Parlay $50.00 $78.20 Win Soccer - 117014 Rangers -312 for Game
    Soccer - 114014 Feyenoord -222 for Game
    Soccer - 107019 Inter Milan -295 for Game

This is a parlay I played last night that won this morning.

Tell me how I could have won more if I bet each game individually. What should I have bet on each game individually to win the same and risk less?

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11874

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Plus it’s great for small Gamblers you need $.10 to get into the game that’s incredible
    $1 multi team parlays can get you back in the game if you get lucky and can hit one.

I play 10 team parlays on NFL football every Sunday for $10 each just to see if I can hit one during the entire season. No luck so far. I do it for giggles and kicks. Did come close on one week though this season.

If one ever hits it will for cash out for thousands. Can always hedge out on the last leg on those parlays for big money also if it's about to hit.
    Last edited by JIBBBY; 10-31-21 at 01:38 PM.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9204

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Not if you can bet them with a book that allows correlated bets they are not evil.
    Most big books now offer same game correlated parlays, but obviously shade the odds on those against us.

If Titans are +100 ML and Henry is -110 to score a TD, am I gaining an advantage if the correlated parlay odds are +180?

Such a tough question to answer most times. For me anyway.

First 123 Last