757sFinest
    757sFinest's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

HORNSRGRT. I lost my dog two days ago. I understand!!

It is expensive my total came to 75 at vet and 205 at cremation. Two days ago my Snoop had to leave me, tuesday morning exactly 48 hours ago as I type this. HORNSRGRT I understand what you are going through.

I am almost 32 years old now and me and SNOOP met back in 1998 when he was just 4 weeks old and I was a freshman in college. I bottle feed him and everything. He was so small I could hold him in my palm. He was a lab/samoyed mix. Little did I know at the time what a gift I was blessed with!! He grew into a 130 pound ball of love and companionship. He was with me through my best of times and worst of times, when no one else was there, SNOOP was there!

He got hit by a car when he was two years old right in front of me. Luckily he was tall enough that when the car hit him the bumper impacted his knee so he didn't get run over. The impact though shattered his hind left knee, flipped him up on the hood of the car and when it finally came to a stop he was flung like a missile through the air hit the concrete and rolled like twenty times. My girlfriend (now my fiance) pulled her car through the traffic and pulled up right next to him. Somehow, when I opened the back door, he was able to throw his front paws into the back seat and the dragged the rest of his body in and collapsed. I thought he was dead. We rushed him to the VA Tech vet school and they did a wonderful job. He tore is acl,mcl, and pcl. They put titanium rods and fake ligaments in to repair his wounded leg. SNOOP was in a cast from his paw up to his hip. Talk about a funny sight, watching a dog trying to go number 2 with one back leg straight as a board. LOL!!...He recovered nicely and went on to live a great life, until a year ago.

He would not come inside and was shaking so bad in Jan 2010. I took him to the vet and they said his heart was around 270 beats per minute. The best thing i could do was take him to Richmond to a cardiologist and get a more certain answer to his problems. When we got there they took him back put the gel on his chest so we could see his heart on the monitor. The DR. asked me how many times he has fainted and I said none. He told me that SNOOP's heart was at 300 bpm and he should be dead, 5 beats a second. I can't even try to tell you how fast it looked on the monitor. I was so scared I was going to lose him them. They gave him some meds to slow his heart. Now for the past year my big guy was taking meds that us humans take. Sotalol, digjoxin, enalapril and two diuretics, lasix and spironalacton. Ten pills twice a day for the past 13 months. His heart was now under control but the Dr. told me that big dogs don't love that long with congestive heart failure. He came home and was back to him self though he started losing weight from all the diuretics. Six months ago he had to start having his belly drained form all the fluid build up, he lost 12 pounds of fluid. We had to do this with more frequency with the last drain being one week ago today. Last Friday he stopped eating and through the weekend he barely drank anything.

My fiance and I decided it was time to give him peace on Monday, valentines night. I cried all night long and just held my big boy. He was so tired and weak. 48 hours ago I held his head as I was laying on the floor with him. When they went to shave his arm to find his vein he turned away to find me and look into my eyes one last time to see if I was ok. That's all he ever wanted to know, that I was ok and here he was getting ready to take that trip. I stayed strong and told him how proud he made me and how his strength never ceased to amaze me. I layed there face to face with SNOOP and we talked for a minute. They then gave him the sedative first and he slowly start to lower his head in my palm. He was out, I just kept thanking him before they gave him that last shot. All of a sudden as the last breath left him and my face against his. I could feel his pain leave his body and his spirit was young and happy again, just as he was before the heart failure.

He earthly form was gone but he was in my heart and in a better place now, the "Rainbow Bridge." I do miss him dearly but feel content that he has no more pain and is at the Bridge waiting for me to come to him one day. I woke up this morning and your post was the first thing I saw, kinda crazy. I know what you are going through HORNSRGRT!!!

This is the Rainbow Bridge where my SNOOP and your furry friend will be waitng for us......

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

ABEHONEST
    Say what? I'll bite your head plum off!
    ABEHONEST's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4175

No one loves those precious animals more than I!
    I hurt for your loss HORNSRGRT! Believe me, being a senior citizen, I know just how great dogs are, and the fact their lifespan is so short is a genuine tragedy.

I have lost 3 good dogs already in my life, and I know you never get over the pain.
    Last edited by ABEHONEST; 02-17-11 at 03:55 PM.

757sFinest

Also check out petloss.com. it really healps. Great chatroom full of people who know what your going through. Helps me

Wulfman14
    The Great Khali
    Wulfman14's Avatar Become A Pro!

sorry about your loss dude. as some time passes it will make it a bit easier i suppose. mine is still only 5 years old but i care for him deeply. he is my best friend

757sFinest

They really are Wulfman. Something many people will never have.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

too bad for ya.

Ninersnut
    Money talks and bullshit runs marathons
    Ninersnut's Avatar Become A Pro!

I dread the day my dogs go