JohnGalt2341
    46 and 2 are just ahead of me
    JohnGalt2341's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3823

Hexversi Puzzle #13. Multiple Choice. 1st correct guess Wins 50 Points.

1 guess per person. No edits. If you guess a 2nd time, your 2nd guess will be ignored. First correct guess Wins 50 Points.

Instead of putting a cap on how many times you can Win, the way I am going to do it is, however many times you have Won already, you have to wait for that many number of guesses before you can make your guess. For instance, if you have Won twice already, for this particular puzzle, you have to wait for at least 2 people to guess before you can make your guess or else you will be DQ'd. I'll list the puzzle Winners and how many times they've Won at the bottom of this post.

Hexversi has the exact same rules as Othello except the board is shaped like a hexagon and there is a dead spot in the middle of the board as seen in the image below. You cannot play through the dead spot, you must play around it. If you do not know how to play Othello, I recommend that you watch the minute and a half video below, and you will know ALL of the rules.

What's the BEST move for Purple?(feel free to take a guess)

I've added a 100 Point bonus for the first 10 players that post a screenshot of themselves beating this AI in the link below. Take the screenshot before your last move of the game so the AI doesn't block the image. Three people have beat the AI so far. They are: Housemoney, jackpot269, and Ian. Well done gentlemen!

http://meta-site.net/hexlo/?fbclid=I...xXgSGPufKWHqTE

I'll keep this going until 10 people beat it. You can only win this ONCE. AND, you can't use someone else's screenshot. In other words.... it has to be a unique configuration. This is NOT a strong AI. It's VERY aggressive. Aggressive play is EASY to beat once you know how to deal with it.

Here's some hints as to how games are Won. Games are NOT won by gobbling up as many pieces as you can on every single move. This is a TERRIBLE strategy. Games are won by trying to run your opponent out of options/moves entirely, and forcing them to give you a corner. Whomever has more options/moves at any given time, is ALMOST ALWAYS winning the game, regardless of what the score says.

When it comes to piece count, you'll usually want to think "less is MORE", until you can get a corner. Try to keep your pieces INSIDE of your opponents pieces. This will create MORE options/moves for you.

Once you run your opponent out of options(good ones at least), then you get to dictate the direction of the game, and getting your piece count up high and winning the game after that is easy. Good luck!

Here are the past Puzzle Winners so far:

blankoblanco 3
    Ian 3
    Optional 2
    gauchojake 1
    las8 1
    Daniel Espinosa 1
    jackpot269 1
    Last edited by JohnGalt2341; 10-11-22 at 07:20 PM.

Machba
    2X POTM JAN 2022 SEPT 2022
    Machba's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3376

j2.

JohnGalt2341

Quote Originally Posted by Machba View Post
    j2.
    Incorrect

JohnGalt2341

Any other guesses?

las8
    BigdaddyQH is a pedophile
    las8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16799

d3

double wedge
    Points Awarded:

JohnGalt2341 gave las8 50 Betpoint(s) for this post.

JohnGalt2341

Quote Originally Posted by las8 View Post
    d3

double wedge
    We have a Winner!

Once Purple wedges in at d3 as seen below, this allows Purple to get BOTH the SW corner at a6, as well as the SE corner at f1. From there, Purple can start working counter clockwise around the board by taking h1, i1, k1, and k6. And it's an easy Win for Purple from here on out.
    Here's a second screenshot from a few moves later. And now as you can see, Purple has 2 corners and Green is completely out of moves. I didn't fill in all of the notation for Purple but Purple has 11 different options to choose from. Purple can start by playing k6, and then h9, and then a6, and then b6 and then basically just sort of shove all of those Green pieces West and try to eliminate as many of them as we can, giving Green crappy moves 1 at a time along the way when needed. This will be a blowout.

And here's what the Final board looked like.

Last edited by JohnGalt2341; 10-12-22 at 11:10 AM.

JohnGalt2341

I just took a screenshot of the current Hexversi Ladder rankings. Top 4 are all guys from SBR.

las8
    BigdaddyQH is a pedophile
    las8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16799

Let's go jackpot!!!

You have made vast improvements lately. You have always had a stronger opening game than me but I would make it back on the side play. Not only has your opening play become more suffocating but you have improved your side play a great deal. These games against you have become stressful. Nice work!

Btw John, I am working on my board. I am somewhat of a perfectionist so I ordered some hexagon stencils on amazon. I can send you the link if interested they have like 30 different sizes so it looks like one will work. I didn't want to pay $15 for shipping a $11 item so I have to wait until 11/2 to receive it.
    Points Awarded:

JohnGalt2341 gave las8 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: jackpot269

blankoblanco
    blankoblanco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30102

First John slowly trains his army of SBR soldiers to take over the Hexversi ladder. Next step, world domination
    Points Awarded:

JohnGalt2341 gave blankoblanco 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Ian
    Tank Man Lives
    Ian's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33728

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt2341 View Post
    I just took a screenshot of the current Hexversi Ladder rankings. Top 4 are all guys from SBR.

I have some more free time now, so I decided to join the ladder.

I'm guessing I'll start at the bottom, dragging down SBR's prestige like a Vanderbilt to the rest of the forum's SEC. Like a good SEC team my plan is to beat up on some soft non-conference opponents at first and then maybe pull off an upset against one of you guys.
    Points Awarded:

blankoblanco gave Ian 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

JohnGalt2341

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I have some more free time now, so I decided to join the ladder.

I'm guessing I'll start at the bottom, dragging down SBR's prestige like a Vanderbilt to the rest of the forum's SEC. Like a good SEC team my plan is to beat up on some soft non-conference opponents at first and then maybe pull off an upset against one of you guys.
    Awesome!

I see you challenged irontown, and sht10. You should be able to beat irontown, as he plays pretty aggressively. sht10 is a pretty decent player though so, if he beats you don't feel bad.

Here's a list of aggressive players that I recommend you challenge until you can build your confidence up a bit. mary hunt, tc, Tammy, ~~Princess~~, robert sawyers, Freddo48, moose 3:O), Angelo Piantadosi, Frank, Honiahaka, and winbig2-Sherry.

That should keep you busy for a while.

Btw, the rankings aren't always particularly accurate because of the way that they do it. They're just sort of fun to look at.

And just be careful not to move into the X-hexes too early in games. The X-hexes are the Hexes in Red in the image below. The reason you don't want to move into X-hexes too early in games is because it makes you vulnerable to giving up a corner.

If anyone else is interested in joining the Hexversi Ladder, let me know! I'll give you a simple game plan on how to beat the aggressive players listed above on your very first game. I'll give you a better than 50% chance even. Good luck in the Ladder!
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Ian

jackpot269
    jackpot269's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8559

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt2341 View Post

Im at 5 right now so top 5 ! SBR yay team!!
    Last edited by jackpot269; 10-15-22 at 03:44 PM.
    Points Awarded:

JohnGalt2341 gave jackpot269 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

jackpot269
    jackpot269's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8559

Quote Originally Posted by las8 View Post
    Let's go jackpot!!!

You have made vast improvements lately. You have always had a stronger opening game than me but I would make it back on the side play. Not only has your opening play become more suffocating but you have improved your side play a great deal. These games against you have become stressful. Nice work!

Btw John, I am working on my board. I am somewhat of a perfectionist so I ordered some hexagon stencils on amazon. I can send you the link if interested they have like 30 different sizes so it looks like one will work. I didn't want to pay $15 for shipping a $11 item so I have to wait until 11/2 to receive it.
    Thanks buddy , we have some good games ! You are hard to beat!!
    Glad John got me involved It's great my favorite game to play!!
    Points Awarded:

JohnGalt2341 gave jackpot269 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.