JohnGalt2341
    46 and 2 are just ahead of me
    JohnGalt2341's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3703

Daniel is playing 3 hyper-aggressive players.

This is like my dream Section. But it has me nervous as hell now watching Daniel in these games..

The 2 Angelo's

https://www.itsyourturn.com/iyt.dll?...0003418743&t=3

gauchojake

robert sawyers

Ohhh man I wish these were my games!!!
    Last edited by JohnGalt2341; 07-14-21 at 12:46 PM.

Daniel Espinosa
    Daniel Espinosa's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 34193

Yep, two of them already owned me!
    Points Awarded:

JohnGalt2341 gave Daniel Espinosa 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Ian
    Tank Man Lives
    Ian's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33450

Life got in the way and I timed out of all my matches.

I had fun while it lasted. Thanks for hosting this, Galt. Good luck to everyone who is still in.
    Points Awarded:

JohnGalt2341 gave Ian 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

JohnGalt2341

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Life got in the way and I timed out of all my matches.

I had fun while it lasted. Thanks for hosting this, Galt. Good luck to everyone who is still in.
    It looks like your games with Angela haven't timed out yet and I think you have a good chance of winning those games. If you click on your games with RCCH you can request to get them reinstated if you are interested. If you don't have the time, then that's cool too. Thanks for signing up.

Ian
    Tank Man Lives
    Ian's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt2341 View Post
    It looks like your games with Angela haven't timed out yet and I think you have a good chance of winning those games. If you click on your games with RCCH you can request to get them reinstated if you are interested. If you don't have the time, then that's cool too. Thanks for signing up.

Thanks for replying. I didn't even realize 2 of my games were still live.

I don't think I'll ask for a reinstatement... that's too much like begging for my taste.

GL in your games!

JohnGalt2341

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Thanks for replying. I didn't even realize 2 of my games were still live.

I don't think I'll ask for a reinstatement... that's too much like begging for my taste.

GL in your games!
    Fair enough... but I know most of these players prefer that a player doesn't timeout even if they are way behind or even if they are way ahead. I know I am that way so, they don't mind re-instating. I always like to see a full board. But, I just thought I would let you know.

JohnGalt2341

Congrats to gauchojake for pulling a legit win vs robert sawyers!

Check this out:
    https://www.itsyourturn.com/iyt.dll?...0003431554&t=3 52 Point beatdown!

If you can get one more legit win you'll set the Hexversi Rookie Tournament Legit Win Record. I'll tell you what Jake, if you can get at least one more legit Win, I'll give you 500 more points for breaking the Record.

Here's Jake's other games... I think he's a long shot in his other game vs Daniel:

https://www.itsyourturn.com/iyt.dll?...0003431554&t=3

This one with Angelo has some really interesting board positions. I think he has a shot here:

This one vs Angelo could go either way as well:

gauchojake could very well Win this Section. I'd love to see both of you guys go 4-2 and both advance!

Section #8
    Player's Name Score Games
    com
    pleted
    Avg score
    per game
    cmpltd
    §Angelo Piantadosi 4 2 2.00
    gauchojake 4 3 1.33
    §robert sawyers 4 5 0.80
    DanielEspinosa 0 2 0.00

Daniel Espinosa

Well it seems like a still have a shot at first place!

blankoblanco
    blankoblanco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29958

It turns out Daniel does pretty well when he gets to play the game past, like, turn 10

Big congrats to Jake as well. Robert sawyers has played many games of Hexversi. He doesn't have the greatest record but it's still impressive to beat someone as experienced as him when you're a total newbie to the game
    Last edited by blankoblanco; 07-27-21 at 11:19 AM.

Daniel Espinosa

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13300

Thanks gents. Appreciate the offer JG.

blankoblanco

Do you guys ever feel like you've basically forgotten how to play the game and have no idea what you're doing? Or is that just a me thing?

I usually work it out, but I get into so many bad situations where I feel completely lost

JohnGalt2341

Quote Originally Posted by blankoblanco View Post
    Do you guys ever feel like you've basically forgotten how to play the game and have no idea what you're doing? Or is that just a me thing?

I usually work it out, but I get into so many bad situations where I feel completely lost

Occasionally, a few months back I was really in a rut. I lost several games in a fairly short time period. But I think I've got my mojo back now. Sweeping Mario in our fairly recent match was a big boost of confidence for me. I managed to beat Toptal in a recent Ladder game as well which was nice after losing that Tourney. Although now Jan has Hand on me, because he beat me in our Ladder game. It doesn't feel so bad though because I know where I lost that game.

Anyway.... well... I wish I had some advice but I don't really. I've been teaching my brother how to play and was I just thinking how I have sort of left you guys on your own for a long time now. So... if you guys have any questions about any specific moves in any of your past games feel free to ask.

Ian
    Tank Man Lives
    Ian's Avatar SBR PRO

I'm somewhat similar in that I know how to play a strategy where I can maneuver my opponent into giving up border spots, but that strategy doesn't usually lead to success against the better opponents. When I experiment with other strategies that's when I get into bad situations and feel lost.

blankoblanco

Occasionally, a few months back I was really in a rut. I lost several games in a fairly short time period. But I think I've got my mojo back now. Sweeping Mario in our fairly recent match was a big boost of confidence for me. I managed to beat Toptal in a recent Ladder game as well which was nice after losing that Tourney. Although now Jan has Hand on me, because he beat me in our Ladder game. It doesn't feel so bad though because I know where I lost that game.

Anyway.... well... I wish I had some advice but I don't really. I've been teaching my brother how to play and was I just thinking how I have sort of left you guys on your own for a long time now. So... if you guys have any questions about any specific moves in any of your past games feel free to ask.

That makes me feel slightly better at least. I was on a pretty crazy ladder winning streak that I'm sure was very fortunate. No way I should have won all those games. And now starting to lose some games and it feels like more losses are coming, and sometimes I can't really tell what my mistakes were, which is the concerning part

I think I'm still in decent position in my round 1 tournament games vs. maitreg though. That's definitely more important. Hoping I can win and face off with you guys again in the next rounds

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

Well I officially beat every opponent in my bracket at least once. Not really sure how that happened.
    Points Awarded:

JohnGalt2341 gave gauchojake 500 Betpoint(s) for this post.

blankoblanco

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    Well I officially beat every opponent in my bracket at least once. Not really sure how that happened.
    That's really genuinely great for your first time playing! Congrats. I promise you I'm not just being nice, that's impressive as hell. I'd be shocked if a first-time player ever again does better than you've done in this tournament

I think you probably still won't make it to the next round because you were unfortunate enough to be paired against Daniel, who is a very good player and is likely to win the rest of his games. But you also beat him, so that's pretty awesome too

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

Thanks for saying so blanco- I had been meaning to play in one of these tournaments for a while just hadn't committed. Glad I tried it out.

I definitely don't like the texture of my last game with Daniel - I tried to get too aggressive and it backfired. We'll see what happens.

JohnGalt2341

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    500 Point Bonus Paid Post #51 for New Legit Rookie Win Record. 3 Legit Wins. Congrats!
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: gauchojake

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

500 Point Bonus Paid Post #51 for New Legit Rookie Win Record. 3 Legit Wins. Congrats!
    Thank you sir. Appreciate the points!!

JohnGalt2341

That makes me feel slightly better at least. I was on a pretty crazy ladder winning streak that I'm sure was very fortunate. No way I should have won all those games. And now starting to lose some games and it feels like more losses are coming, and sometimes I can't really tell what my mistakes were, which is the concerning part

I think I'm still in decent position in my round 1 tournament games vs. maitreg though. That's definitely more important. Hoping I can win and face off with you guys again in the next rounds
    I looked this up earlier. Let me see if I have this right... 51 Game Ladder Winning streak from 12/03/20 to 7/11/21. including a Win over Jan, Toptal, RCCH, Ryan, and aragon, among other good players. Well done! Winning streaks in Hexversi really fascinate me a lot because I know how difficult they are to pull off. Because you have to be ready for every style, it's so hard to be consistent over a long period like that. Bravo!

The next Round of the Tournament should be intense. If there is anything you guys would like me to help you with feel free to let me know. I would love to see AT LEAST 2 guys from the SBR dojo make it to the 3rd Round. I'm thinking most of these guys don't play the sides particularly well. I've gone over some of the games so far but I've just kind of whipped through them really quickly. But I'm thinking we can outplay most of these guys on the sides.

JohnGalt2341

New comer Molybdenum041 is giving 2nd Place finisher of the last Tournament, WHUFC all he can handle here in section 7. If WHUFC Wins this game he secures himself a spot in Round 2. Molybdenum041 still has to win his other games and it looks like he probably will, including his other game vs WHUFC. This game below is close! Really interesting game here.

https://www.itsyourturn.com/iyt.dll?...0003431552&t=3

Section #7
    com
    pleted
    Avg score
    per game
    cmpltd
    WHUFC 8 4 2.00
    §2PI76F 2 4 0.50
    §jammer 2 4 0.50
    Molybdenum041 0 0 0.00
    Last edited by JohnGalt2341; 08-08-21 at 09:13 PM.

JohnGalt2341

mac bannister and Joshua have a couple of good games going in section 9

https://www.itsyourturn.com/iyt.dll?...0000852425&t=3

https://www.itsyourturn.com/iyt.dll?...0000852425&t=3

This will more than likely determine the Section Winner here.

JohnGalt2341

New comer Molybdenum041 is giving 2nd Place finisher of the last Tournament, WHUFC all he can handle here in section 7. If WHUFC Wins this game he secures himself a spot in Round 2. Molybdenum041 still has to win his other games and it looks like he probably will, including his other game vs WHUFC. This game below is close! Really interesting game here.

https://www.itsyourturn.com/iyt.dll?...0003431552&t=3

Section #7
    com
    pleted
    Avg score
    per game
    cmpltd
    WHUFC 8 4 2.00
    §2PI76F 2 4 0.50
    §jammer 2 4 0.50
    Molybdenum041 0 0 0.00
    Tourney Update

Looks like WHUFC will advance to Round 2. Molybdenum041 still has to Win his other games. He will definitely lose the one game with WHUFC . He should be able to sweep 2PI76F and he'll beat jammer in one game for sure but he's got this tight game going with jammer that might keep him from making it to Round 2. Let's see if Purple plays this right for move #36 in the game below. Round 2 is on the line here for Molybdenum041 Will he join WHUFC?

https://www.itsyourturn.com/iyt.dll?...0002977624&t=3
    Last edited by JohnGalt2341; 08-10-21 at 09:45 AM.

blankoblanco

I looked this up earlier. Let me see if I have this right... 51 Game Ladder Winning streak from 12/03/20 to 7/11/21. including a Win over Jan, Toptal, RCCH, Ryan, and aragon, among other good players. Well done! Winning streaks in Hexversi really fascinate me a lot because I know how difficult they are to pull off. Because you have to be ready for every style, it's so hard to be consistent over a long period like that. Bravo!
    Thanks man! It's funny because I feel like there were so many little things I didn't see or understand in those games but my instincts just worked out somehow. Makes me wonder if I'm overcomplicating things now and need to go back to basics a bit. On the other hand, there were several games I won that I should have lost if my opponents made the right plays, so it's hard to say. Perhaps a part of it is that the players are simply getting better

JohnGalt2341

Thanks man! It's funny because I feel like there were so many little things I didn't see or understand in those games but my instincts just worked out somehow. Makes me wonder if I'm overcomplicating things now and need to go back to basics a bit. On the other hand, there were several games I won that I should have lost if my opponents made the right plays, so it's hard to say. Perhaps a part of it is that the players are simply getting better
    I hear that. I win SO many games this way, it's rather incredible really. I'm pretty sure I should have well over 100 Ladder losses. But thanks to mostly poor endgames, I don't.

It really irks me when it goes the other way though... in some of my games vs Jan I realize where I made my mistake... sometimes immediately afterward and I'm thinking.... "I HAD THIS DAMN GAME WON!!! AND I BLEW IT!!!"

blankoblanco

Props to Daniel for shaking off the fluke 0-2 start, he's been crushing the rest of his games and is sure to win his group at 4-2. Don't call it a comeback!

I'm in 2 pretty interesting/complicated (at least to me) games against maitreg to decide which of us gets out of our group. I have access to first corners in both games, but they're low-impact corners that don't directly lead to control of the board, and he's punishing my "closed 2" set-ups a bit by gaining moves in some areas. It's an interesting dynamic, hope I can pull it out

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

Daniel got a little momentum. There's one that's still close though.

JohnGalt2341

Props to Daniel for shaking off the fluke 0-2 start, he's been crushing the rest of his games and is sure to win his group at 4-2. Don't call it a comeback!

I'm in 2 pretty interesting/complicated (at least to me) games against maitreg to decide which of us gets out of our group. I have access to first corners in both games, but they're low-impact corners that don't directly lead to control of the board, and he's punishing my "closed 2" set-ups a bit by gaining moves in some areas. It's an interesting dynamic, hope I can pull it out
    Yeah, these games between you and maitreg are great! I definitely like your chances here.

https://www.itsyourturn.com/pp?gm&g=...8716&t=3&gn=97

And this one is REALLY intriguing. I was just telling my brother how you play the Closed 2's really really well and the game below is a perfect example of this. I definitely like your chances in this game as well. This one looks like it's about to get really interesting.

https://www.itsyourturn.com/pp?gm&g=...8716&t=3&gn=97

blankoblanco

And this one is REALLY intriguing. I was just telling my brother how you play the Closed 2's really really well and the game below is a perfect example of this. I definitely like your chances in this game as well. This one looks like it's about to get really interesting.
    Wow, I'm honored!

I agree with you the first game seems like I have more moves to work with and should be able to close it out. The second feels like there's a bit more room for error. Fingers crossed that I don't screw it up

I know I only need to win one to advance in a tie but it'd be nice to win the group outright and knock out a strong player at the same time

blankoblanco

Sorry I gave you a crappy ladder game John, lol. Was sorta focused on my tourney games, and I also just screwed up majorly by being careless (again, you were winning anyway). I'll try to give you a decent game if we meet in the tournament, fingers crossed

JohnGalt2341

Sorry I gave you a crappy ladder game John, lol. Was sorta focused on my tourney games, and I also just screwed up majorly by being careless (again, you were winning anyway). I'll try to give you a decent game if we meet in the tournament, fingers crossed
    No problem. That was a really awkward and tricky game. I was expecting you to move elsewhere on move #26. Up until that point, I feel like the game was really super close and could have gone either way. I think my experience really saves me in games like this.

I see you are going to take down maitreg and sweep Section #11. Congrats!! maitreg is no slouch for sure, winning multiple Reversi related tourney's over the years including one with 114 players.

I see Daniel has made it official and has won Section #8. Congrats! I never had a doubt, check post #34. But I must also say... phew!! So... that's what... 3 straight tourney's now where all 3 of us have advanced to Round #2. Let's see if we can all get to the Finals in this one!

Great job guys!! You too Jake! Maybe in the next one you can make it to Round 2 as well.

Last edited by JohnGalt2341; 08-27-21 at 03:23 PM.

Daniel Espinosa

Yeah I was scared for a second. Props to Jake for winning 3 games!

blankoblanco

Indeed, very impressed by Jake's results in his first tournament, and great showing by the entire SBR gang so far!

blankoblanco

No problem. That was a really awkward and tricky game. I was expecting you to move elsewhere on move #26.
    So I'm assuming I should have taken g3 myself on move #26? I had my reasoning at the time for why I didn't want to take it before taking j1 (which never even happened because I blundered before that). In my head I was sort of stalling for a certain sequence, but my reasoning was probably faulty. Or is there another move you think I should have done? I might've totally missed something

Fwiw I already felt slightly behind at that point even if it was relatively close

First 1234 Last