Sanity Check
    A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships
    Sanity Check's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12959

2016 Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Kaepernick protests: I think it's dumb and disrespectful

National anthem protests

Of Kaepernick and others she says, she thinks their actions are "dumb and disrespectful".

"I would have the same answer if you asked me about flag burning. I think it's a terrible thing to do, but I wouldn't lock a person up for doing it. I would point out how ridiculous it seems to me to do such an act."

Kaepernick said Tuesday it was "disappointing to hear a Supreme Court justice call a protest against injustices and oppression 'stupid, dumb.' "

"I was reading an article and it refers to white critique of black protests and how they try to de-legitimize it by calling it 'idiotic, dumb, stupid,' things of that nature, so they can sidestep the real issue," he told reporters Tuesday, according to the Mercury News. "As I was reading that I saw more and more truth how this has been approached by people in power and white people in power in particular."

In 1989, before Ginsburg joined the court, the Supreme Court held that the conviction of a man named Gregory Lee Johnson for burning the flag was inconsistent with the First Amendment.

Of the athletes, Ginsburg said, "if they want to be stupid, there's no law that should be preventive. If they want to be arrogant, there's no law that prevents them from that. What I would do is strongly take issue with the point of view that they are expressing when they do that."

PHOTOS: Ruth Bader Ginsburg through the years

Ginsburg's words were similar to the comments that the late Justice Antonin Scalia made when he was asked about his vote in favor of Johnson in the flag burning case.
    "If I were King," Scalia told CNN's Piers Morgan in 2012, "I would not allow people to go about burning the American flag. However, we have a First Amendment, which says that the right of free speech shall not be abridged."

https://www.cnn.com/2016/10/10/polit...45PMVODtopLink

konck
    Listen the toilet is flushing
    konck's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2311

95% of the USA felt that way at the time!
    That's why he was blackballed
    In my books Copperdick is still an A hole

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

No question about it. Just a dumb SOB.

Sanity Check
    A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships
    Sanity Check's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12959

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: bonzaii

BOA12
    BOA12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2053

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    No question about it. Just a dumb SOB.
    The answer from a smart SOB.

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop
    StackinGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4514

BkofAma, who you got in the races today? The old nag died, just leave her, pick a winner, not a selfish political hack who screws her own base (and they won't admit) by being a dead puppet instead of retiring and allowing her handlers to pick a suitable replacement ... it's really funny how you can't make this stuff up