Whoson1st
    Update your status
    Whoson1st's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 222

Online Bill Payment Very Late--Can You Sue the Bank?

A payment I made on June 24th from my online bank's bill pay to be delivered on June 30th, was not made.

Not only was it not made on time. it was mailed with several other checks to an institution that only accept paper checks. Those check had several different dates up to and including July 5th. Any check received after the 5th is considered late. My check although dates the earliest was also late BECAUSE the BANK WAITED UNTIL THEY HAD CHECKS FROM THE OTHER PEOPLE's ACCOUNTS THAT THEY KNOW NORMALLY MAKE THE SAME PAYMENT TO THE SAME COMPANY. I called the bill payment office (huge nationwide Bank) and got one of their representatives, who said he agreed with me that my check should have been sent earlier. He said he would file a "formal complaint".

I have been banking with this bank for more than 40 years and using their online bill payment for about 10 years. There is absolutely no more horrible feeling than having the rental office call and tell me your check is late.

The bank issued a letter stating I had made the payment in good faith on th date in question. What the bank did NOT TELL tell them is that THEY held the check waiting for the others.
    How far can a formal complaint be taken? Can I sue for distress and pure agony or whatever there term may be? The bank is definitely at fault.

Buffalo Nickle
    Buffalo Nickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 878

Quote Originally Posted by Whoson1st View Post
    A payment I made on June 24th from my online bank's bill pay to be delivered on June 30th, was not made.

Not only was it not made on time. it was mailed with several other checks to an institution that only accept paper checks. Those check had several different dates up to and including July 5th. Any check received after the 5th is considered late. My check although dates the earliest was also late BECAUSE the BANK WAITED UNTIL THEY HAD CHECKS FROM THE OTHER PEOPLE's ACCOUNTS THAT THEY KNOW NORMALLY MAKE THE SAME PAYMENT TO THE SAME COMPANY. I called the bill payment office (huge nationwide Bank) and got one of their representatives, who said he agreed with me that my check should have been sent earlier. He said he would file a "formal complaint".

I have been banking with this bank for more than 40 years and using their online bill payment for about 10 years. There is absolutely no more horrible feeling than having the rental office call and tell me your check is late.

The bank issued a letter stating I had made the payment in good faith on th date in question. What the bank did NOT TELL tell them is that THEY held the check waiting for the others.
    How far can a formal complaint be taken? Can I sue for distress and pure agony or whatever there term may be? The bank is definitely at fault.
    The bank does not process it own bill payments. They most likely use CheckFree. The account I use for bill payment guarantees delivery by the due date or they will cover the fee.

Don't think the bank has any liability. They cover themselves pretty well in that regard.

Whoson1st
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Nickle View Post
    The bank does not process it own bill payments. They most likely use CheckFree. The account I use for bill payment guarantees delivery by the due date or they will cover the fee.

Don't think the bank has any liability. They cover themselves pretty well in that regard.
    BkofAma is the bank in question. I never realized and they NEVER mentioned not processing their own bill payments... I will look into this next.

Very much appreciate your info!
    Last edited by Whoson1st; 07-12-17 at 12:09 PM. Reason: spelling

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

That's why I'd rather log into each one of my creditors... directly to their website and make the payment.

You make the payment by a certain time... it's credited same day.

Where as... this bill pay stuff... you pay on a Monday... you're lucky if it arrives on a Wednesday.

Not worth it to me.

Whoson1st
    Update your status

This company does not have a place on their website to make a rent payment....I would be happier to do it that way. They don't want to spend the money to get an "electronic system"

Whoson1st
    Update your status

I can't use Check Free because I don't get a paper bill. Only a lease... Looks like I'll have to stay with my bank or find another bank.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quote Originally Posted by Whoson1st View Post
    This company does not have a place on their website to make a rent payment....I would be happier to do it that way. They don't want to spend the money to get an "electronic system"
    There's always one bill that's like this... kind of sucks... I hear you.

I really haven't looked into online bill pay from a bank in a long time. Probably been about 4 years now. You'd figure they'd be quicker and more accurate by now?

Hope you get it resolved.