AchillesTG
    AchillesTG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6000

Who is the best band/song for your generation?

Yeah, I am a little bit older than most.

I jammed on Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd.
    My parents would come in my room and say, "Are those dogs barking"? Rock and Roll was new to them.

I am sure my generation says the same thing about "Hip Hop" and "Rap".
    I just don't get it!

My best band and song during my time is:

Eagles -- Hotel California

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

AchillesTG

Living in Austin TX, have to do Lyle Lovett

If you figure this out, let me know!

magyarsvensk
    magyarsvensk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

For my generation and my subculture, it's gotta be Nirvana. So many artists who are dead are overrated, but if anything Nirvana were underrated. They covered a lot of ground in a short time, much like the Beatles. Soundgarden and Alice in Chains also made some great music. But that was Rock N Roll's last dying cough. It's like showing Kobe highlight clips from the 2014-15 season.

A few years later after rock and roll died forever, I really think that Hip-Hop blossomed into a true art. You don't get a lot of life-long musicians or perfect albums like you did in the 70s, but certainly Dr. Dre, Biggy, Snoop, ** Tang, ATCQ and others of that time explored an entirely new dimension of music.

AchillesTG

magyarsvensk, I certainly appreciate your in insight, Thank you!
    Last edited by AchillesTG; 09-20-15 at 09:14 AM. Reason: spelling

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Quote Originally Posted by magyarsvensk View Post
    For my generation and my subculture, it's gotta be Nirvana. So many artists who are dead are overrated, but if anything Nirvana were underrated. They covered a lot of ground in a short time, much like the Beatles. Soundgarden and Alice in Chains also made some great music. But that was Rock N Roll's last dying cough. It's like showing Kobe highlight clips from the 2014-15 season.

A few years later after rock and roll died forever, I really think that Hip-Hop blossomed into a true art. You don't get a lot of life-long musicians or perfect albums like you did in the 70s, but certainly Dr. Dre, Biggy, Snoop, ** Tang, ATCQ and others of that time explored an entirely new dimension of music.
    You really think Nirvana were underrated? I think they got the recognition that they deserved and then some. I was 17 when Nevermind was released and it got ridiculous airplay. That album brought in a whole new wave of rock fans even though Pearl Jam's 10 came out before it.

AchillesTG

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    I always loved ACDC, Back in Black and Shook Me.

magyarsvensk
    magyarsvensk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    You really think Nirvana were underrated? I think they got the recognition that they deserved and then some. I was 17 when Nevermind was released and it got ridiculous airplay. That album brought in a whole new wave of rock fans even though Pearl Jam's 10 came out before it.
    That was at the time though. Every band/musician is highly rated when they are popular. Their music is just as impressive today, but you will only hear the songs here and there. Most people who grew up with grunge are in the process of distancing themselves from it. I remember in the late 80s people wanted to forget about disco, but there is some quality music that came out of that era as well.

In the eyes of the public, they haven't transcended the "90s Seattle grunge" genre -- at least not yet. They might experience a revival with a future generation of kids like Pink Floyd did in the 90s-2000s. The music deserves to transcend though, in my opinion.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9233

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

No way I'm distancing myself from grunge, it was great and defined my generation.

It just depends on what side of the fence you were on though. Metallica was every bit as big back then, as was Pearl Jam, as was REM. REM gets points off because they spanned 30 years, which is a bit unfair, but they never defined a generation like the others. Same with the Cure, Pixies, bands like that. Iconic, but not of one particular generation.

Nirvana is the one band most kids that grow up and play guitar 20 years form now will want to learn, so I guess you can give it to them on that alone.

Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14404

Zeppelin,, And early Aerosmith

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

i still find myself pulling up nirvana's concerts on youtube, particularly the Reading '91 and 92 shows, and the Halloween 1991 show at the paramount......

damn good stuff when you're taking bad beats in poker.........

ac/dc (highway to hell, back in black) and van halen defined my high school years; Waylon Jennings and Johnny Cash my childhood; and NIN my sex life post-divorce.......

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3533

Guns and Roses

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

I was going to go see Pearl Jam tonight at Rupp Arena but decided to hold off because I'm already going to the show at Wrigley Field!

Shout-out to SBR for the gift cards!

slayer14
    slayer14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6231

Amazing

slayer14

So much emotion in this song.

PittsburghPlayer
    PittsburghPlayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10667

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YCKMQOwGBAU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

slayer14

slayer14

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20493

Lynyrd Skynyrd!

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Skid Row - Youth gone wild

slayer14

slayer14

So much emotion in this song it a classic.

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

Joe Cocker, Deep purple, Grand funk railroad, Chicago, Steven Stills and Nash, Lover boy, Bread, Aba.....

Wonder how the OP is doing? He and his dog are cancer survivors. Haven't heard from him for awhile.

slayer14

slayer14

Amazing performance from Micheal

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

teenage wasteland

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status
    R.P. McMurphy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

Guess my "generation" was more early 90's if based on teen years. Like some of that but being an early bloomer jamming to Vh , Motley, Zep goodness etc since I was 5 or so. I'm going with original mighty VH none better! On heavier side in teen years probably Pantera best known band along with a TON of underground metal. Obviously nothing from today's era can touch the more mainstream stuff from 90's and prior. Do "mainstream" even produce testosterone these days? I don't think so bunch of pussies lol

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status

Here's a question ....how many have got to that point in life where you have just given up new music? There is truth to the theory around 30 you just know what know like what you like to around certain age and that's it. I'm pushing 40 and found myself getting their here recently and I'm a musician to boot. For me lack of quality from all genres is a major contributor.

Plaza23
    Plaza23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13787

Quote Originally Posted by R.P. McMurphy View Post
    Here's a question ....how many have got to that point in life where you have just given up new music? There is truth to the theory around 30 you just know what know like what you like to around certain age and that's it. I'm pushing 40 and found myself getting their here recently and I'm a musician to boot. For me lack of quality from all genres is a major contributor.
    I'm 35 and I only listen to 90s Alternative Rock for the most part. It's the music I liked growing up, and it's basically stuck. I doubt I'll ever like anything "new" or change. You know you are getting old when the alternative rock you grew up with gets put on the "Classic Rock" station. Like Nirvana is "classic rock" now? GTFO.

What I wonder about is if the music from the 60's will always be considered "oldies". Like when I'm 70 years old, will music from the 90's be considered "oldies", and music from the 60's won't even be played anymore?

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status

Lol here ya on that Plaza! Weird if you hear Chains or Primus type shit on "classic rock" station no doubt. Just a few years on ya but feel what you feel! Sad truth is all our heroes are old and clinging on but what's next? Almost 40 years later and nobody has taken Eddie's throne on guitar. Been a ton of imitations and some did it well and even further. But not on his level! Seriously 2016 who's your EVH in past couple decades even? Answer = you don't have one

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status

Honestly it's just sad state in rock when depending on 60 year old men or even guys in their early 50's now to bring it back. Definitely a void in all music now. Rock = true shit now days with ZERO balls or testosterone. Rap= same old crap about getting booty or chilling in da club= yawn, cuntry = mostly pop rock. Rip Cash Jennings, Jones it's now just tatted up failed rockers with fo hawks playing pop rock for masses. Music in 2016 truly blows with few exceptions in underground!

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status

That's why music is dead folks! Those of us old enough to remember good times embrace it. Seriously from ANY genre in modern era who is your Stones, Zeppelin, VH,ACDC, GN'R , Nirvana, Public Enemy , NWA, Beasties , Johnny Cash, Elvis, Waylon , Hank people who will be celebrated decades later and still going. Name me one of your powder pop groups will you think will honestly matter in 20 years on a level even close to the aforementioned?

Plaza23
    Plaza23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13787

Quote Originally Posted by R.P. McMurphy View Post
    That's why music is dead folks! Those of us old enough to remember good times embrace it. Seriously from ANY genre in modern era who is your Stones, Zeppelin, VH,ACDC, GN'R , Nirvana, Public Enemy , NWA, Beasties , Johnny Cash, Elvis, Waylon , Hank people who will be celebrated decades later and still going. Name me one of your powder pop groups will you think will honestly matter in 20 years on a level even close to the aforementioned?
    The 2000s and 2010s have been the shittest decades of music in the last 70 years. There's been nothing to come out of it that could be considered a ground breaking or sustaining 'genre".

60s music was iconic
    70s music had disco and then some other rock
    80s was heavy metal and classic pop music
    90s i think was great for R&B and Alternative Rock and Rap.
    2000s and 2010s is just really shitty autotune manufactured garbage and it's affected all genres. Country music is shit, rock music same thing. Rap sucks.

PittsburghPlayer
    PittsburghPlayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10667

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fWu110jGQqU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe><iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3u7UZPxu7H0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12 Last