AchillesTG
    AchillesTG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6000

Neil deGrasse Tyson disproves Intelligent Design with Hilarious statement

So during the episode, he pointed to a hilarious piece of evidence that he says disproves intelligent design.

"I think of, like, the human body, and I look at what's going on between our legs," Tyson said. "There's like a sewage system and entertainment complex intermingling. No engineer of any intelligence would have designed it that way."

Very interesting episode on Larry Wilmore Show

http://www.techinsider.io/neil-degrasse-tyson-god-religion-2015-11

Swinging Johnson
    Swinging Johnson's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5626

Everyone wants to irrefutably prove or disprove intelligent design but only the dead can do so.

LordVodka
    LordVodka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

Quote Originally Posted by Swinging Johnson View Post
    Everyone wants to irrefutably prove or disprove intelligent design but only the dead can do so.
    What does dying and God have to do with anything? Why can't there be a God without an afterlife?

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Quote Originally Posted by AchillesTG View Post
    So during the episode, he pointed to a hilarious piece of evidence that he says disproves intelligent design.

"I think of, like, the human body, and I look at what's going on between our legs," Tyson said. "There's like a sewage system and entertainment complex intermingling. No engineer of any intelligence would have designed it that way."

This is a very old Robin Williams joke and has been re told forever.. I hope DeGrasse gave credit where it is due.

Most certainly not original, not even close.

Jimmy Proffett
    Jimmy Proffett's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 954

The only explanation for us being here is intelligent design. Every other one explanation doesn't make sense.

Axman3000
    Axman3000's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 205

It could also be seen as efficient combining functions into a single body part.

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1932

All sharps are scientific minded.

Jimmy Proffett
    Jimmy Proffett's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 954

Just because he makes a funny about intelligent design..... it doesn't mean he's right

Swinging Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by LordVodka View Post
    What does dying and God have to do with anything? Why can't there be a God without an afterlife?
    Your incredulity is a wee bit pretentious, yes? Religion (and the god associated with each) all claim that belief in that particular deity is a ticket to the afterlife so to query as though such a concept is outrageous is over the top. However your second question which begs the first is interesting. I would say there could be a God without an afterlife but that would douse the motivation to be righteous by all but the truly righteous.

LordVodka
    LordVodka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    This is a very old Robin Williams joke and has been re told forever.. I hope DeGrasse gave credit where it is due.

Most certainly not original, not even close.

Also Robin Williams was famous for stealing jokes and repackaging them. He probably stole that one too.

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by LordVodka View Post
    Also Robin Williams was famous for stealing jokes and repackaging them. He probably stole that one too.
    Probably.

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

Quote Originally Posted by GunShard View Post
    All sharps are scientific minded.
    This. In life and many other things

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

Whaaaat? You aren't entertained when going to the bathroom? Try holding it for a while, come back and tell me
    how excited you are after relieving yourself.

Think about it, it's a very efficient design. You can pound the ol' lady with a piss hardon and you don't have to be very
    accurate, everything is within 2 inches.

AchillesTG

Quote Originally Posted by rkelly110 View Post
    Whaaaat? You aren't entertained when going to the bathroom? Try holding it for a while, come back and tell me
    how excited you are after relieving yourself.

Think about it, it's a very efficient design. You can pound the ol' lady with a piss hardon and you don't have to be very
    accurate, everything is within 2 inches.
    The older we get the more true this becomes.

1) "Don't pass up an opportunity to use the bathroom; 2) Don't waste a 'hard-on'; 3) Don't trust your farts" .....................Jack Nicholson The Bucket List

rkelly110

After a hard night of drinking, the morning after, I can't trust my farts. Beer farts are the worst!

sweep
    USA! USA! USA!
    sweep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2457

The older we get the more true this becomes.

1) "Don't pass up an opportunity to use the bathroom; 2) Don't waste a 'hard-on'; 3) Don't trust your farts" .....................Jack Nicholson The Bucket List

trobin31
    trobin31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10373

and He said "let there be blumpkins" and there was.....

raydog
    raydog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

people should pay attention to facts and those who are speaking them.. its 2015...you should be pitied for believing in such utter whoreshit as gods, heaven, hell, devil etc... evolution is fact... those who deny it, simply dont understand or care to understand how it works... its a shame to see grown adults believing in holy books that have been rewritten and rewritten to meet leaders wants... evolution is black and white and to deny it is irresponsible and illiterate.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: trobin31

existential
    existential's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 168545

the dead can't do anything. death represents the same period of time as the period of time before you were born. did you do anything noteworthy before you were born?

Swinging Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by existential View Post
    the dead can't do anything. death represents the same period of time as the period of time before you were born. did you do anything noteworthy before you were born?
    Death represents only what you conceive it to be within the narrow limits of your imagination. We only know that the dead have shed this mortal coil but beyond that none of us, from the bible thumping believer to the most ardent atheist, know for certain. While you say the dead can't do anything that may be true in terms of ballroom dancing or juggling but in another realm they may, and I say may, do quite a bit.

rkelly110

Death represents only what you conceive it to be within the narrow limits of your imagination. We only know that the dead have shed this mortal coil but beyond that none of us, from the bible thumping believer to the most ardent atheist, know for certain. While you say the dead can't do anything that may be true in terms of ballroom dancing or juggling but in another realm they may, and I say may, do quite a bit.
    Google life after death. Hundreds of stories of those who died and came back to life with incredible stories of
    what they saw. If the stories were different, I'd say they made them up, but the stories are basically the same.

Your spirit lasts longer than the body. The body is only a vessel for as long as you see fit.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Swinging Johnson

AchillesTG

From that segment, I found it interesting that 40% of scientists still declare themselves as religious. They are able to separate "Church and Science". Thomas Jefferson literally cut out the supernatural, miracle, and mythical parts of the Bible, so he could read just the portions pertaining to wisdom, how to treat others, and just plain common sense or goodness.

As for the suggestion that your spirit lasts longer than your body. I am a little skeptical. Your body, especially the brain and heart, is an electrical charge. When you die that charge goes somewhere, almost like a spark on a battery. Does the charge just dissipate or could that little wisp float around in the universe? Either way there is no consciousness involved.

b1slickguy
    WDKYWMYAK
    b1slickguy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29835

Google life after death. Hundreds of stories of those who died and came back to life with incredible stories of
    what they saw. If the stories were different, I'd say they made them up, but the stories are basically the same.

Your spirit lasts longer than the body. The body is only a vessel for as long as you see fit.

Google I was abducted by aliens. Hundreds of stories of those who were abducted by aliens with incredible stories of what they saw. If the stories were different, I'd say they made them up, but the stories are basically the same.

rkelly110

Quote Originally Posted by b1slickguy View Post
    Google I was abducted by aliens. Hundreds of stories of those who were abducted by aliens with incredible stories of what they saw. If the stories were different, I'd say they made them up, but the stories are basically the same.

Are you mocking me?!?

existential
    existential's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 168545

Your body, especially the brain and heart, is an electrical charge. When you die that charge goes somewhere, almost like a spark on a battery. Does the charge just dissipate or could that little wisp float around in the universe?
    the human electrical charge goes nowhere because, as you said, it's contained within the relationship between the brain, heart, and other vital organs. when any one of those fail, the charge ceases.

just like a battery, once any of its components fail, it's not longer useful. does anyone spend time thinking that dead batteries still float around in the universe in some other alternate form? of course not. the battery is disposed of and that's the end of it.

TheSchafe
    TheSchafe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 462

God is still a square thing, I see...

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by existential View Post
    the human electrical charge goes nowhere because, as you said, it's contained within the relationship between the brain, heart, and other vital organs. when any one of those fail, the charge ceases.

just like a battery, once any of its components fail, it's not longer useful. does anyone spend time thinking that dead batteries still float around in the universe in some other alternate form? of course not. the battery is disposed of and that's the end of it.
    Besides, when I have intelligent conversations with my batteries, they tell me that they already know there is no life after discharge. And they are batteries, so they would know.

AchillesTG

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    Besides, when I have intelligent conversations with my batteries, they tell me that they already know there is no life after discharge. And they are batteries, so they would know.
    And Organized Religion only allows Human Beings, so our poor batteries are just gone forever.

statnerds
    Put me in coach
    statnerds's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 103

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Proffett View Post
    The only explanation for us being here is intelligent design. Every other one explanation doesn't make sense.
    please tell me this is just a failed attempt at humor

TheSchafe
    TheSchafe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 462

I guess it comes down to the fact that we just can't accept that our existence is sheer randomness.

mikewlgm
    mikewlgm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 128

thats an old bit that has been reused for years by comedians......

grease lightnin
    &
    grease lightnin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3185

Quote Originally Posted by raydog View Post
    people should pay attention to facts and those who are speaking them.. its 2015...you should be pitied for believing in such utter whoreshit as gods, heaven, hell, devil etc...

I respect you as a poster, raydog, so don't take this the wrong way. I am not religious, however, your post above made me think of the following Bertrand Russell quote:

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."

And I don't see how the existence of evolution proves that there is no god.
    Points Awarded:

mikewlgm gave grease lightnin 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: mikewlgm

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

Yes, what does the fact that evolution exists have to say about the existence of God? Don't think the 2 are mutually exclusive at all.

b1slickguy
    WDKYWMYAK
    b1slickguy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29835

Are you mocking me?!?
    Just a little playful banter in The Saloon.
    Put the gloves away, Punchy.
    Good luck.