gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13312

A Racist Article

I'm usually not one to stir the racial pot here, but this article was pretty offensive to me as a European-American. Can you imagine if the headline was reversed and a white reporter wrote this?

http://www.latimes.com/local/westsid...ry.html#page=1

grease lightnin
    &
    grease lightnin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3185

Yes. Very offensive. But the argument on the other side is that it is impossible to be racist toward whites because of our "white privilege". Simply impossible.

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

White people don't matter.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

I was discussing this article with some friends last night (white, jew, chinese, filipino, south african). One girl thought that this article presented a totally reasonable point of view. She (white) said that white people had no ground for finding this point of view offensive based on the historical treatment of blacks in the US. I was blown away. Talk about the poster child for white guilt.

ByeShea
    ByeShea's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11662

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    I was discussing this article with some friends last night (white, jew, chinese, filipino, south african). One girl thought that this article presented a totally reasonable point of view. She (white) said that white people had no ground for finding this point of view offensive based on the historical treatment of blacks in the US. I was blown away. Talk about the poster child for white guilt.
    Until black people stop rioting in fast food restaurants (see YouTube for more examples, roughly 10,000 more) it's tough for me to take them seriously when they tell others to change.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 456

Might want to look up some of the articles about Obama's next plan. I'm not where I can post a link, but there are plans for social engineering where they will move public housing into white, affluent neighborhoods.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

I'm not even the least bit offended that blacks want to keep their neighborhood black. I'm offended that the LA Times would run an article about it.

grease lightnin
    &
    grease lightnin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3185

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    I would ask her: at what point would it not be okay for the LA Times to publish an article like that? 5 years from now? 10? 20? Never?

bigtymer56
    bigtymer56's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9071

Quote Originally Posted by grease lightnin View Post
    I would ask her: at what point would it not be okay for the LA Times to publish an article like that? 5 years from now? 10? 20? Never?
    Not sure why people would have a problem with the LA Times reporting the news. Its like me getting mad at cnn for running articles about the kkk and confederate flag.

Thought it was a good piece on the history and changing demographics of the neighborhood. Actually learned a couple of things about LA.
    Last edited by bigtymer56; 07-20-15 at 09:53 PM.