The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

The US Governments War on Drugs

Is it effective? If so, how? If not, why not?

Any good examples either way?

I've thought a lot about this and am looking for a new angle or perspective on this topic

Thanks

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

Krakalakin it's pretty obvious that Seattle life is taking its toll on you

Krakalakin call me when you get a moment

The Kraken

Possibly so RR

gonna call you on the 011 7 812
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Russian Rocket

TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3643

90% of the USA Population feels the War on Drugs is a disgusting failure.

And 100% of those 90% are correct.

And those other 10%? They are probably the ones getting paid to fight the War.

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4547

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

SteveKerrsJunk
    SteveKerrsJunk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 134

The war on drugs is a huge joke and everyone knows it.

COYLO
    COYLO's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7608

how can the war on drugs work if your government is/was complicit in bringing the shit in, in the 1st place!! give this movie a watch http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1216491/

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status
    R.P. McMurphy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

"War on drugs" always been a joke of epic proportions. Interesting now how there is a legal pharmacy being built every 4 blocks these days in every city. Even the legal shit prescribed is highly suspect and being exploited in epic proportions for monetary gain.

All you need to know about where this country is heading in a nutshell would be day by day more prisons and drug stores being built at rapid rates with increasing funds and education cuts being made across the board.

Fidel_CashFlow
    Fidel_CashFlow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30419

Kraken. Look no farther. This will answer everything.
    Everyone should watch this one.

<object name="player" id="_fp_0.0387358320876956" width="640" height="360" data="http://d38zt8ehae1tnt.cloudfront.net/swf/player.swf?v=912" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> <param value="true" name="allowfullscreen"/> <param value="always" name="allowscriptaccess"/> <param value="transparent" name="wmode"/> <param value="high" name="quality"/> <param name="movie" value="http://d38zt8ehae1tnt.cloudfront.net/swf/player.swf?v=912" /> <param value="config=http://www.disclose.tv/videos/config/yyy/192065.js" name="flashvars"/></object>

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

Quote Originally Posted by COYLO View Post
    how can the war on drugs work if your government is/was complicit in bringing the shit in, in the 1st place!! give this movie a watch http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1216491/
    he was lucky he just got a smear campaign, CIA killed the last guy we know of who talked about them poisoning a French town with LSD. Killed him by pushing him from the 13th floor then paid off his wife, never accepted guilt though; Frank Olson.

boomer62
    boomer62's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

Drugs?? The biggest drugs is our food and food supply. Our health care system is a joke and makes up most of our GDP. Health and disease are rampant. Half our kids today are becoming DIABETIC because of all the sugar and chemicals. More then half are OBESE. You don't think we have a cure for cancer. I've seen personally what happens and the big $$$$$ made on the elderly. now they have genetically modified food and all these toxins that we are exposed too. This is the biggest joke. Might as well legalize pot, safer then our food and much more enjoyable.

Fidel_CashFlow

Quote Originally Posted by boomer62 View Post
    Drugs?? The biggest drugs is our food and food supply. Our health care system is a joke and makes up most of our GDP. Health and disease are rampant. Half our kids today are becoming DIABETIC because of all the sugar and chemicals. More then half are OBESE. You don't think we have a cure for cancer. I've seen personally what happens and the big $$$$$ made on the elderly. now they have genetically modified food and all these toxins that we are exposed too. This is the biggest joke. Might as well legalize pot, safer then our food and much more enjoyable.
    you must watch that video I embedded
    it breaks it all down perfectly
    and then when you think it cant nail the point down any farther and more clearer
    it only continues to make fact based points throughout

Axman3000
    Axman3000's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 205

The one aspect of the war on drugs that irks me the most is the fact that people see this as politically sided issue. Both Democrats & Republicans are continuing this ridiculous drug war and there is no end in sight until we step back and realize that the government isn't our friend. We are suckers for actually believing that the government will actually legalize drugs nationwide and this needs to be handled on a more manageable state level while supporting the rights of the states to make laws that the federal government should never be able to make.

Jimmy Proffett
    Jimmy Proffett's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 954

You see how well prohibition worked with alcohol right? One of the worst periods in US history in terms of rampant criminal activity, and alcoholism soared.

The Kraken

It's a complete failure. Every statistic points to that. The most effective drug related legislation our government has passed in decades is the legalization of pot in CO and WA. This has actually hurt the Mexico drug lords more than the DEA's war on drugs. AND the government is taxing the shit out of it getting their share.

Roughly $50 BILLION a year is being spent waging this war. And for what? What has been accomplished? Nothing of significance. Other than qualudes, I could probably go into downtown Seattle and get anything my heart desires or I can hop on the web, find an SY dealer and get Oxycontin, morphine, whatever it is I want.

In 2013 there were 44,000 drug related overdose deaths and 87% of them were classified as "unintentional". So there were roughly 40k accidental drug overdose deaths, it seems to me that education would be a much better first line defense and much more effective, considering after all they were UNINTENTIONAL. There were 88,000 alcohol related deaths last year, where's the $50 billion at fighting that war?

Sadly, the only real losers are the people that are legitimately in pain and not looking to skirt the laws and find what they need on their own. They're the ones that are stuck paying ridiculously high monthly fees for (yes, monthly) office visits, drug screens, alternative treatments that are quite ineffective and copays. This is the category I am stuck in. Last month I saw my doctor and the total bill was $400 WITH insurance. I used to pay more. It's quite a racket.

Just recently the Dietary Guidlines Committee came out and admitted they were wrong and that whole eggs do not effect serum cholesterol. Many people have known this for nearly a decade. So I guess there is still a sliver of hope that some politician will see how ineffective this "war" has been and fight to reallocate those funds, preferably to children, education or the VA for better care of our soldiers. But I doubt it.

And yes, whole eggs being healthy is pertinent to the war on drugs.

Fidel_CashFlow

did you watch that Kraken ?
    they dismantle the governments reasoning on the War on Drugs
    as well as show how big of a failure and detriment it continues to be on society

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

the purpose of war on drugs was to never end the war on drugs.

too much fukking money for the drug czar.

muldoon
    muldoon's Avatar Become A Pro!

It's "our" war on drugs. The gov't wages it on our behalf - but we've had ample opportunities over the last 40 years to reign them in.

Problem being, is that it went from a "cause" (Protect our kids!) to an industry. People locked up for decades because they share an apartment lease with someone who is dealing weed/coke. People who get busted at concerts or parties with minor amounts -- anywhere from fines (with a record) to jail time (depending on the jurisdiction)

When we allow our society to take away many rights of a citizen because of what we deem to be criminal behavior (possession/trafficking/profits from the avails) - then it's tough to change the law (since many who made the legal misstep early lose their right to vote and change the law)

It's unfortunately like most things though. If it doesn't affect you directly - it's hard to get motivated. Angry people, or those with a narrow agenda vote at a much higher %.

It's been 2+ years since Colorado made it essentially legal to buy weed for any adult. I've only been to Denver once since then, but I didn't see the sky falling and criminal cartels running the streets while non drug users fled to neighboring states to protect their kids.

Takes one evening to attend a public forum and flat out ask someone running for office if they are for or against furthering this "war" on drugs. if they can't give a simple answer - they'll keep the failing trillion dollar war going.

It's a tough issue to take the logical side on if you're in public office though. Saying the war on drugs is a failure, can easily be spun into "he wants our kids to kill themselves" without much effort. Not exactly a recipe to get into office if you have more than that issue you'd like to see addressed.

The Kraken

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel_CashFlow View Post
    did you watch that Kraken ?
    they dismantle the governments reasoning on the War on Drugs
    as well as show how big of a failure and detriment it continues to be on society
    Not yet, weather here has been nice. I will soon. Is it the link in your first post?

Quote Originally Posted by muldoon View Post
    It's "our" war on drugs. The gov't wages it on our behalf - but we've had ample opportunities over the last 40 years to reign them in.

Problem being, is that it went from a "cause" (Protect our kids!) to an industry. People locked up for decades because they share an apartment lease with someone who is dealing weed/coke. People who get busted at concerts or parties with minor amounts -- anywhere from fines (with a record) to jail time (depending on the jurisdiction)

When we allow our society to take away many rights of a citizen because of what we deem to be criminal behavior (possession/trafficking/profits from the avails) - then it's tough to change the law (since many who made the legal misstep early lose their right to vote and change the law)

It's unfortunately like most things though. If it doesn't affect you directly - it's hard to get motivated. Angry people, or those with a narrow agenda vote at a much higher %.

It's been 2+ years since Colorado made it essentially legal to buy weed for any adult. I've only been to Denver once since then, but I didn't see the sky falling and criminal cartels running the streets while non drug users fled to neighboring states to protect their kids.

Takes one evening to attend a public forum and flat out ask someone running for office if they are for or against furthering this "war" on drugs. if they can't give a simple answer - they'll keep the failing trillion dollar war going.

It's a tough issue to take the logical side on if you're in public office though. Saying the war on drugs is a failure, can easily be spun into "he wants our kids to kill themselves" without much effort. Not exactly a recipe to get into office if you have more than that issue you'd like to see addressed.
    Well you seem to get to the crux of the argument

The change has to come from some where and this is a tough battle to choose to fight especially when it doesn't directly affect you. Parents of dead teenagers will make emotional pleas to continue the course because it gives them a sense of purpose and vindication for their dead child. That's easy to get behind as a politician because it appeals to the masses.

But I do think there is a logical argument to be made and if it's the right politician it could be an effective one. You said it, this has become a trillion dollar war and it comes at the expense of so many other important issues that simply lack funding to be effective.

I'm not even arguing we should scrap the entire plan because some parts of it are worth keeping but those are few and far between. For example, the states prescription monitoring programs are great, the stop individuals from doctor shopping, getting two or three scripts for a controlled substance from different doctors and then having them filled at different pharmacies. And it has been quite effective. It's certainly worth keeping around.

But drug use today is as rampant in America as it ever has been. One would expect after spending over a trillion dollars and throwing almost unlimited man power and resources at the problem that their would be a decline in drug use but it just isn't happening. It's absolutely embarrassing and shameful how much of a failure it has been.

Legitimate patients that once took a few Lortabs daily for pain now either live with pain, have resorted to buying meds on the web or worst of all, went to heroin. Heroin is super cheap right now as drug lords are looking to recapture market share they lost from MJ being legalized.

But again, I understand from a logical standpoint it's a hard issue to take up as a politician due to emotions involved.

But just like the legalization of recreational MJ, it started somewhere with somebody.

I do think we'll see an end to this War on Drugs as we know it but what it will morph into is anyones guess.

brooks85

damnt, what was the guy's name who was vocal on the failure of the war? He was either ex-dea, fbi or something. I thought I remembered he was a top dog at the DEA. He was in the news not long ago for something else too. Think it is Mike Levine.

You can't find anyone who doesn't think the war on drugs is a joke unless they have something to gain. USA houses 1/4 of the world's prisoners; big business.

Last edited by brooks85; 02-15-15 at 04:50 PM.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: The Kraken

The Kraken

Yep, prisons are HUGE business.

Good clip

grease lightnin
    &amp;
    grease lightnin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3185

Like most things the answer is not a simple yes or no. But I will say I believe the war on drugs is most definitely not +ev.

brooks85

I always say as long as kids are being born you're safe owning disney stock.

Well, can say the same thing about $GEO. As long as kids being born and prosecuted for unconstitutional laws prisons will fill up. $GEO is killing it right now because of illegal immigrants. Funny too because the CEO even said the same thing in his conference call but he wouldn't do an interview about it with cnn or whoever asked.

Fidel_CashFlow

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post
    damnt, what was the guy's name who was vocal on the failure of the war? He was either ex-dea, fbi or something. I thought I remembered he was a top dog at the DEA. He was in the news not long ago for something else too. Think it is Mike Levine.

You can't find anyone who doesn't think the war on drugs is a joke unless they have something to gain. USA houses 1/4 of the world's prisoners; big business.

if you liked this Kraken, then you will love the documentary.
    Richard Branson is in it throughout
    looks like we are all on the same page here on this topic

statnerds
    Put me in coach
    statnerds's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 103

thread pointless only to the point that you need never debate anything the government has done or is doing. it will be a failure.

drugs, poverty, illiteracy, you name it, a failure.

only war the government is winning is the assault on white heterosexual males.

boomer62
    boomer62's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

Love Richard Branson,great business man,and he speaks in common sense terms. The problem in our country is their is too much beaurcracy and many laws and regulations were adopted in the early and mid 1900's and have not kept up to date in the 20th century and the new world we live in. Our educational system and the medical establishment is a FUKING JOKE. Big PHARMA IS THE PROBLEM more then illegal drugs.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by statnerds View Post
    thread pointless only to the point that you need never debate anything the government has done or is doing. it will be a failure.

drugs, poverty, illiteracy, you name it, a failure.

only war the government is winning is the assault on white heterosexual males.

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status
    R.P. McMurphy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

Wow just watched movie "Kill the messenger" that poster Coylo recommended upstairs. Great fukkin movie based on true events. Good look at how sick our gov is and scary to think what they really do. But just 1 more fine example of our leaders hard at work to destroy this country.

Kicker was the reporter who blew up this story was found dead a few years later with not 1 but 2 shots to the head and it was labeled suicide?!? Uh yeah that sounds reasonable! When this story broke our sensationalism drawn b.s. media swept the story and scandal under the rug amidst the more important topic of Clinton getting his rooster sucked.

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

That strain hunter Doe WOW guy is the man

muldoon
    muldoon's Avatar Become A Pro!

Another "victory" in the war

http://www.mankatofreepress.com/news...946b09d9e.html

MANKATO — A Mankato man who sat in jail for weeks awaiting trial for possessing a large amount of powder amphetamine was released recently after the charges were dismissed.
    It turns out his story about the powder actually being vitamins was true.

brooks85

don't worry guys, they got em. 3 cops had to put their lives on the line but they are ok and they got the bad guys so totally worth it. We can rest easy tonight.

http://news.yahoo.com/three-texas-po...211203167.html

but... it gets better...!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=ezRDR8bJJrw

too bad there wasn't any infants around for them to kill this time with a flashbang or little girls to shoot in the head :/

The Kraken

Congrats US Gov't, Congrats DEA, sounds as if the war is going quite well... Less people are dying of Hydrocodone and are now dying of Heroin

Makes sense

https://www.yahoo.com/health/heroin-...474454392.html

Heroin deaths have quadrupled while the number of chronic pain patients going untreated has skyrocketed