Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

Check your browser for FREAK vulnerability

On Tuesday, March 3, 2015, researchers announced a new SSL/TLS vulnerability called the FREAK attack. It allows an attacker to intercept HTTPS connections between vulnerable clients and servers and force them to use weakened encryption, which the attacker can break to steal or manipulate sensitive data.

You can check whether your browser is vulnerable using FREAK Client Test Tool.

Chrome for Windows and all versions of Firefox are known to be safe. However, even if your browser is safe, certain third-party software, including some anti-virus products and adware programs, can expose you to the attack by intercepting TLS connections from the browser. If you are using a safe browser but our client test says you’re vulnerable, this is a likely cause.
    In addition to browsers, many mobile apps, embedded systems, and other software products also use TLS. These are also potentially vulnerable if they rely on unpatched libraries or offer RSA_EXPORT cipher suites.

Clients

Update (Mar. 5): Browsers are vulnerable to the FREAK attack because of bugs that allow an attacker to force them to use weak, export-grade encryption. One example is the OpenSSL bug described in CVE-2015-0204, but some other TLS libraries have similar problems. Far more browsers are vulnerable to the FREAK attack than was initially thought when the attack was announced, including:
    Vulnerable Browser Status
    Internet Explorer Security advisory
    Chrome on Mac OS Patch available now
    Chrome on Android
    Safari on Mac OS Patch expected next week
    Safari on iOS Patch expected next week
    Stock Android Browser
    Blackberry Browser
    Opera on Mac OS
    Opera on Linux

Google already released an updated version of the Chrome browser for Mac systems, meanwhile Safari on Mac OS and iOS isn’t vulnerable to the FREAK flaw.

To determine if your browser is vulnerable visit freakattack.com.

All Windows systems are vulnerable to the FREAK attack

According to a security advisory published by Microsoft all supported versions of Windows are affected by the recently discovered FREAK vulnerability

FREAK is major security SSL/TLS vulnerability recently discovered that for more than a decade left users of Apple and Google devices vulnerable to hacking when they visited millions of legitimate and secure websites.
    The critical vulnerability codenamed FREAK (CVE-2015-0204), also known as Factoring Attack on RSA-EXPORT Keys, could be exploited by threat actors to run man-in-the-middle attacks on encrypted traffic when Internet users visited supposedly secured websites. By exploiting the FREAK flawan attacker can force clients to use older and weaker encryption, then he can crack the traffic protected with 512-bit key encryption in a few hours. Once decrypted the traffic a threat actor can steal sensitive information or launch an attack by injecting malicious code.

Unfortunately, the impact of the vulnerability could be dramatic for Microsoft systems, according to a security advisory published by the company FREAK vulnerability resides in the Microsoft Secure Channel (Schannel)stack.
    “Secure Channel, also known as Schannel, is a security support provider (SSP) that contains a set of security protocols that provide identity authentication and secure, private communication through encryption. Schannel is primarily used for Internet applications that require secure Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) communications.”
    Secure Channel is vulnerable to the FREAK encryption-downgrade attack, the bad news is that affects all supported releases of Microsoft Windows, as reported in the advisory.
    “Microsoft is aware of a security feature bypass vulnerability in Secure Channel (Schannel) that affects all supported releases of Microsoft Windows. Our investigation has verified that the vulnerability could allow an attacker to force the downgrading of the cipher suites used in an SSL/TLS connection on a Windows client system. The vulnerability facilitates exploitation of the publicly disclosed FREAK technique, which is an industry-wide issue that is not specific to Windows operating systems. When this security advisory was originally released, Microsoft had not received any information to indicate that this issue had been publicly used to attack customers.” states the advisory.
    The Windows version affected by the FREAK vulnerability (CVE-2015-1637) are:

• Windows Server 2003
    • Windows Vista
    • Windows Server 2008
    • Windows 7
    • Windows 8 and 8.1
    • Windows Server 2012
    • Windows RT

Microsoft users are warned, hackers that share the same network could exploit the Freak flaw and force the software using Schannel component (i.e. Internet Explorer) to use weak encryption over the web.
    It is important to clarify that the attack could be effective if the server hosting the website visited by victims still supporting 1990s-era “export-grade” cryptography or 512-bit RSA.
    A scan of more than 14 million websites that support the SSL/TLS protocols has revealed that the FREAK vulnerability affects nearly 36 percent of SSL WEBSITES.
    “Based on some recent scans by Alex Halderman, Zakir Durumeric and David Adrian at University of Michigan, it seems that export-RSA is supported by as many as 5.2% 36.7% (!!!!) of the 14 million sites serving browser-trusted certs. The vast majority of these sites appear to be content distribution networks (CDN) like Akamai. Those CDNs are now in the process of removing export grade suites.” states Matthew Green.
    Let’s remind that the “expor-grade” feature was explicitly requested by the U.S. government for overseas export, the situation changed in 2000 due to a modification of the US export laws. Starting from 2000 vendors were allowed to include 128-bit ciphers in the products that were distributed all over the world.
    The Windows version affected by the FREAK vulnerability (CVE-2015-1637) are:

• Windows Server 2003
    • Windows Vista
    • Windows Server 2008
    • Windows 7
    • Windows 8 and 8.1
    • Windows Server 2012
    • Windows RT

Microsoft confirmed that its experts are “actively working” to fix the issue and to protect its users from cyber attack exploiting the FREAK vulnerability.
    “We are actively working with partners in our Microsoft Active Protections Program (MAPP) to provide information that they can use to provide broader protections to customers.” continues the advisory.
    Points Awarded:

muldoon gave Russian Rocket 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

i thought this was another anti-Seewead warning.........
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Russian Rocket

Seaweed
    Update your status
    Seaweed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6952

Rocket we're not nerds man we don't know alll about that

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman

Quote Originally Posted by Seaweed View Post
    that's why I've included a link at the top of the posting - so your dumbass can click on it and check if his browser is OK

muldoon
    muldoon's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Seaweed View Post
    Name:  nerd.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  7.3 KB
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Russian Rocket, and retard

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman

Quote Originally Posted by muldoon View Post

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Quote Originally Posted by muldoon View Post
    something's missing from this photo.......... can't quite put my finger on it...........

OH YEAH.... the bottle of Liquid KY that would be sitting next to him..........

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9243

Thanks Rocket.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Thanks for looking out man

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman

cheers fellas...stay safe

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

i use firefox, it says my browser is vulnerable. what do i need to do?

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Thanks Rocket for the link to test.

You the man, the Rocket Man...

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4547

Thank the lawd.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Russian Rocket

cashin81
    hvob
    cashin81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2436

Quote Originally Posted by Ghenghis Kahn View Post
    pray

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR

Quote Originally Posted by cashin81 View Post
    pray
    to whom?

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman

upgrade your browser to the latest version and try again - it should be fine then

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    Thanks Rocket for the link to test.

You the man, the Rocket Man...

what a great old school tune

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Rocket View Post
    upgrade your browser to the latest version and try again - it should be fine then
    also all versions of Firefox are known to be safe. However, even if your browser is safe, certain third-party software, including some anti-virus products and adware programs, can expose you to the attack by intercepting TLS connections from the browser. If you are using a safe browser but the client test says you’re vulnerable, this is a likely cause.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR

i'm using avast. maybe that's causing it.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR

is anti-virus necessary or should i just delete that shit?

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman

is anti-virus necessary or should i just delete that shit?
    It depends on what you do on a computer and if you really need a live 24/7 protection (most people don't)...all browsers and email clients nowadays come with some sort of a built-in protection.
    If you're on WIN box, you can run a free program called Windows Defender a few times a week...you can also disable your antivirus program and only manually run it on certain days..or once a week.
    Points Awarded:

Ghenghis Kahn gave Russian Rocket 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

I use multiple browsers and only IE has been vulnerable until today. Last night Microsoft ran an update and now IE "appears to be safe from the FREAK attack."

Thanks again for the link to test Rocket, I know many of us appreciate it.

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    I use multiple browsers and only IE has been vulnerable until today. Last night Microsoft ran an update and now IE "appears to be safe from the FREAK attack."

Thanks again for the link to test Rocket, I know many of us appreciate it.

IE is known to be the slowest and most vulnerable browser
    Aslo MSFT likes to drag its feet with the security updates
    I'm glad, that we are all safe now