TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Question On Home Audio Theater Setup Etc.

I have an old Kenwood receiver. It's 6.1 capable... I purchased it probably a decade ago. Does not have HDMI ports.

The issue I'm having... the audio out on my direct tv DVR to my receiver is causing "humming" noises out of my bose speakers. I'm using the 2nd from the best Monster Audio Cables... had them for years.

I also have my PS3 hooked up to the receiver and I'm using the simple AV Cable from the box... without using the video portion of that cable. Sounds pretty damn good.

Here's the issue that started happening....

1. Getting a loud humming noise anytime the AV cable is positioned any port on the receiver.
    2. Getting slight noise while listening to DirecTV. You can hardly notice. But only when its turned extremely high volume.

When you disconnect the audio from Direc TV... all the humming noises stop 100%.

So my question is... are Monster Cables that shi#$y?

Or

Does DirecTV have that much power/interference from their own receiver? This all started when I moved their DVR box just above my receiver.

Or should I just finally invest money in new receiver with HDMI Inputs? And that would clear everything up? What would you guys do?

Axman3000
    Axman3000's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 205

Monster Cables are good but they can go bad like everything else. Don't know your financial situation but investing in a new receiver with HDMI would probably be the best solution and save a lot of headaches. I purchased a 5.1 Yamaha receiver at Best Buy on sale for around $200 a couple of years ago and I'm using 15 year old Boston speakers. HDMI cables are nice because it's digital and the cable quality does not matter as much as it does with analog. I purchased my HDMI cables online for around $5 each and they sound great and have lasted. This is coming from a movie lover AND avid gamer so I'm pretty picking about my video and sound.

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

Before you replace the receiver use some other cables in place of the Monsters to see if that's the weak link.