bettilimbroke999
    bettilimbroke999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 506

Why is it news when a skydiver falls to their death?

I mean honestly you are jumping out of a plane with nothing but a fabric sheet attached to strings to your back to keep you from dying

Strings get tangled....sorry you die

The chute is packed improperly and/or doesn't unfurl fully...sorry you die

Basically if everything doesnt work perfectly you die and ppl do this constantly everyday completely unnecessarily risking their lives....is it really a fukin news story when something goes wrong and they die?

NrmlCurvSurfr
    NrmlCurvSurfr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 600

This is why I dont like flying Yeah, its normal for humans to be going 500mph 30,000 ft in the air
    Last edited by NrmlCurvSurfr; 05-27-13 at 12:41 AM.

bettilimbroke999
    bettilimbroke999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 506

Single-engine planes go down all the time...poorly maintained private jets go down from time to time as well but an 80+ million dollar airliner is pretty fukin safe....alot safer than drivin, some of the drivers I see on the road must be either drunk, high, crazy or blind

Jumping out of a plane and then souly depending on a sheet attached by a bunch of strings to come out of a backpack your wearing and unfurl and open perfectly is absolutely fukin crazy

Think about it you're depending on some idiot that makes 8 bucks an hour to repack and check heavily overused parachute backpacks all day long and is high as a kite and sweatin the Yankees bet hes got his rent ridin on and forgets to check either the strings or sheet or release mechanism or whatever on one of the packs and the next thing u know ur lookin at a balled up pile of fabric above your head as you fall to earth at a 100 mph...the last thought that goes through your head before you die is what a fukin moron you are

BTW do life insurance policies pay out on failed plane jumps or is it considered suicide...its like 20 bucks a month for a guy in his 30s to get a term life plan for a half million...if you skydive frequently this has gotta be a huge +EV wager
    Last edited by bettilimbroke999; 05-27-13 at 01:38 AM.

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Saw a guy fall 200ft to his death "wing walking" last summer. Not a pretty sight.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

By your definition, driving a car is REAL CRAZY!

Sometimes, you just gotta let it ride. Live a bit.

darrell74
    darrell74's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19552

sky diving usually disqualifies you from life insurance

jacksonbird03
    jacksonbird03's Avatar Become A Pro!

Skydiving is very adventurous sport...
    But it is also very risky and dangerous...

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

i knew a guy who used to sky dive every week, he even had his own paraschute

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Hey OP would you say

Zip Lining is dangerous too?

i did that for the first time recently and it was kinda scary

Naz18
    Naz18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1940

Is their a limit on the amount of news that can be reported?....what is the big deal...fking idiots always whine about something...

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by bettilimbroke999 View Post
    Single-engine planes go down all the time...poorly maintained private jets go down from time to time as well but an 80+ million dollar airliner is pretty fukin safe....alot safer than drivin, some of the drivers I see on the road must be either drunk, high, crazy or blind

Jumping out of a plane and then souly depending on a sheet attached by a bunch of strings to come out of a backpack your wearing and unfurl and open perfectly is absolutely fukin crazy

Think about it you're depending on some idiot that makes 8 bucks an hour to repack and check heavily overused parachute backpacks all day long and is high as a kite and sweatin the Yankees bet hes got his rent ridin on and forgets to check either the strings or sheet or release mechanism or whatever on one of the packs and the next thing u know ur lookin at a balled up pile of fabric above your head as you fall to earth at a 100 mph...the last thought that goes through your head before you die is what a fukin moron you are

BTW do life insurance policies pay out on failed plane jumps or is it considered suicide...its like 20 bucks a month for a guy in his 30s to get a term life plan for a half million...if you skydive frequently this has gotta be a huge +EV wager
    You do have a point there.....people relying on some stoned scrub with their lives. I guess same could also be said for trusting them with your life on a ride at an amusement park.....Skydiving worse though

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9318

I learned how to sky dive and did about 6 or 7 solo jumps over 2 weekends.

It was fun, but there was definitely an expectation you would not die. Maybe break a leg at worst if you rooster up a landing learning.

next time i went back a month later it was cancelled as someone had died the day before.

Newspaper story I read next day said there had been 8 people in 3 years die at this school.

I decided I did it, I enjoyed it, I survived it, so wasn't going to push my luck any further.

This was mid 80s using round ex-army parachutes as the square ones were just really new at that time.

billysink
    billysink's Avatar Become A Pro!

Jumped three or four times in Erie Pennsylvania back in the early 90's. Good rush but after a few times no big deal. Spend a lot more time learning to do it than actually jumping.

Not for the faint of heart but never felt in danger. I do get the point here though.

When the best thing that can happen is still no good you should probably get another hobby.