tatommack
    cowboys make the playoffs
    tatommack's Avatar Become A Pro!

small business owners inside.............

i have struggled the last 4 years the previous 10 were great all my advertising is the same. Not sure what to do at this point but if this keeps up my wife will have to go back to work. Anyone else struggling with a small business?

Ernie Mccracken
    Ernie Mccracken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4304

What kind of business?

SportsPedagogy
    SportsPedagogy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 266

We get it. You are saying Obama is bad for small business.

tatommack

pool service

Bigbill365
    Big Money Bettors
    Bigbill365's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1016

hmm interesting is it hard getting small business loans?and if so whats the typical % you have to put down

Ernie Mccracken
    Ernie Mccracken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4304

Quote Originally Posted by tatommack View Post
    pool service
    What's your competitive advantage? Who are your ideal customers and what problem are you solving for them? Do you have a facebook/twitter/blog? What kind of promotions are you running to draw in new business?

You mad bro
    You mad bro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: -23

Quote Originally Posted by SportsPedagogy View Post
    We get it. You are saying Obama is bad for small business.
    We all know that already clown

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

My friend has the same business in Vegas and he gets contracts from property management companies to take care of all of their rental properties.

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4134

Though I do not agree with the fiscal policies of the President, I have to admit that under his presidency, I have done better than average. With that being said, my success is due to other businesses being forced to let go certain types of employees which has created a demand for the work that I do (without having to hire, pay the benefits, etc.). I work my a$$ off and I'm very reliable, which has helped me with repeat business, word of mouth recommendations, and very little money being spent on advertising. In my office I have a map of the U.S.. Before the President was elected, I was primarily doing work in Portland, Ore, Idaho, and Utah--I put a pin on the map for the location of every new client that I do business with. Over the last four years, I have conducted business in over 30 states with Texas, Illinois, Utah (I live here), and the Deep South, being my primary hotspots. Really, it's been Texas by a mile and I owe the Lone Star state big time!

I don't want to discuss what I do, but I will say that for me, it's about OVERHEAD, market demand, and competition. Tato, as hard as this might be to hear, you might need to work your way into something different. A while back, I encouraged one of my clients to explore a completely different field for applying his business/ skill-set. He had been supplying dentists with dental implants for 20 years and because of the economy, people were foregoing dental work and he nearly lost everything. At first he scoffed at the idea, which was to make dental implants for animals, but he now has more business than ever and he's been able to do business with major zoos and veterinarians across the nation.

Even when the economy sucks, there's still opportunity for those that want it. Good luck!!
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: SlickRick1382

ROFLcopter
    ROFLcopter's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1284

Quote Originally Posted by Grits n' Gravy View Post
    My friend has the same business in Vegas and he gets contracts from property management companies to take care of all of their rental properties.
    Who are your main clients? Think of ways to change the way you do things if what you're doing now isn't working. Reach out to hotels, motels, gyms, spas, etc.

daneault23
    daneault23's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4955

Internet is big now. Trying signing up to yelp, angie's list, etc and encourage your customers to write reviews of ur work on those sites if they're happy with your services.

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Housing is down the shithole... The last thing people are worried about are cleaning their pools, painting their houses or fixing anything in general... Has nothing to do with the president.. Lower your prices...

Naz18
    Naz18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1940

Doing very good, but so is the local economy..

Justin3587
    Justin3587's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 450

A guy I know is in the pool business. He is ballin out. His main source of income is community pools hire him to maintain their pools, but he also provides the lifeguards. Something to think about

hawley
    hawley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Quote Originally Posted by King Mayan View Post
    Housing is down the shithole... The last thing people are worried about are cleaning their pools, painting their houses or fixing anything in general... Has nothing to do with the president.. Lower your prices...
    Plus Mayan will do it all for half the price

Pump them hammies.

capitalist pig
    capitalist pig's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 346

I deal with pool service companies on a regular basis, and the ones who do really well have hotel, condo ,water park, public pool contracts. Its tough to make it just doing residential work. If your just cleaning pools your need to branch out and get your pool contractors license and do repairs, you need to eliminate the middle man on buying chemicals and go right to the distributor, which where I live if you have your CPO permit you can buy the chemicals from distributors.

In 2013 the handicap pool lift chairs become madatory on all non residential pools, condos, hotels, public pools, water parks, etc, and there is going to be a fortune made installing those, there will literally be millions of those that will need installing nationwide, there is a opportunity there to make a killing, something to think about, but you will have to get your pool contractors license.

Ive owned a company for 25 + years and have gone through great times business wise and not so great times.I did very well up through 2009, then 2010 and 2011 were terrible, and it still hasnt come back to where it was and doubt it will in the next 10 years. Im really considering closing up shop and retiring early.

later
    Points Awarded:

SlickRick1382 gave capitalist pig 5 SBR Point(s) for this post.

VegasVixen
    Update your status
    VegasVixen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1357

i have struggled the last 4 years the previous 10 were great all my advertising is the same. Not sure what to do at this point but if this keeps up my wife will have to go back to work. Anyone else struggling with a small business?
    Change it. The ad game is NOT the same as it was 10+ years ago. I own a retail store, and have a 1500+ name database of my customers. I use Constant Contact for e-mail marketing, and we are on Facebook, Twitter & have a website. This is all marketing & costs a fraction of print or TV ads. Google a book called "Guerilla Reatiling" or maybe "Guerilla Marketing"? He also has a website - it will open your eyes to fresh ideas. Also see if a forum exists of other business owners in your business across the country. The Gift Shop Owner's forum I belong to always gives me great ideas for products, displays, in-store events, etc.

Best of Luck!
    Points Awarded:

thunderous gave VegasVixen 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

tatommack

ill try and answer the questions the best i can hope i didnt miss any.

Im on angie's list and all the others like that.

King my pricing has been the same since i started. 100 lbs use to cost me 60.00 it runs around 127.00 now all parts have doubled. Im buddies with SCP the supplier so I get a special rate cost plus 10% most of the other guys dont get this rate and pay 20%.

Most of my work comes from word of mouth because im a straight shooter which really hurts my profit i wont sell you something you dont need or over charge for it.

Commercial properties are out of the question as far as weekly service most now use the maintenance man to do them. I didnt have enough service calls to warrant carrying ins. I still do them but under my buddies electrical company.

I have one rental company i work for but they are very small.

Sad thing is I used to be so busy i wouldn't answer my phone for small jobs. Basically anything under 500.00 profit I didnt waste my time.

One thing I did notice on yahoo and Google I use to be listed first when you would do a search now im on the second page. There were only 5 pool companies back when I first signed up now there are over 50 unreal.

I had 65 customers in 2007 currently 40.

I do appreciate all of yalls input.

tatommack

One thing I thought about was making a viral video on youtube something crazy to drawl alot of attention to my services. What do you guys think of this I figured with how critical some of you guys are I could get some great ideas from most of you.

robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

Stop gambling, because from what I saw, you are a better sized gambler. Also, who gives a flying F about Angies List? Bogus review for the most part.

muldoon
    muldoon's Avatar Become A Pro!

One thing I thought about was making a viral video on youtube something crazy to drawl alot of attention to my services. What do you guys think of this I figured with how critical some of you guys are I could get some great ideas from most of you.
    Viral videos (more often than not) rarely work when made intentionally (normally it's a guy mocking an animal at the zoo and gets his face smashed or something)

I sent you a PM as well.

ROFLcopter
    ROFLcopter's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1284

One thing I did notice on yahoo and Google I use to be listed first when you would do a search now im on the second page. There were only 5 pool companies back when I first signed up now there are over 50 unreal.
    I'm pretty sure you can pay to be listed on the first page/one of the first search results.

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4134

Viral videos work for some kinds of businesses, but quite frankly, they'd turn me off to doing business with most kinds of companies. I guess if there was a viral video of you wrestling snakes and gators free from a pool while one of your employees pokes you with a caddle prod while another pours acid into the pool, I'd say to myself, God damn that's a hard worker who is willing to get dirty.

Iwinyourmoney
    IWIN.........IN!
    Iwinyourmoney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 733

pool service
    Pool service is tough. Easy to clean your own pool.

I own my own building business in the summer and get sub contracted out from local companies. No store front, no advertising. nothing. Do mainly liner swaps in above grounds, build maybe 5 a year, but do like 15 liners. It's a bitch working 40 hours a week and doing this. Summers are fukin rough!

I service one pool regularly for the last 5 years, but at $65 a week (she's a doctor), most people can't afford that.

I guess what I'm saying is look to expand your pool business to more then just service.

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

cancellation due to non payment is higher than ever fact

VegasVixen
    Update your status
    VegasVixen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1357

Word of mouth is your best friend (assuming it's positive). Do a promo this spring for pool opening season - offer $25 off to current customers for each referral that uses you...

I hate the pool service I use, and I basically only use them because they're the only one in my area. Had a guy I used for a few years for side jobs & maintenance then he hurt his back so I'm back to the same Co that built my pool. Did I mention I hate them? I'm not covering my pool this winter just so I don't have to call them in the Spring for opening. I've been sweeping leaves daily just to not ever give them another nickle LOL.

chipper
    chipper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2174

I've been a small business owner for 17+ years now. Business is definitely down and the past five or so years have been very tough. BUT, I do think things are starting to get better and I have hopes that we'll soon return to the sales we've previously had.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Quote Originally Posted by ROFLcopter View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can pay to be listed on the first page/one of the first search results.
    not exactly

you can pay a search engine optimization company to get you there, which is likely considering the pool cleaning business in OP's neck of the woods isn't likely that competitive for web traffic...but getting on the first page isn't necessarily enough....this graph shows the general click proportions based on spots 1 through 10 on the first page....if you're on the second page you ain't getting much traffic but you also arent getting rich just because youre on the first page

stikymess
    stikymess's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 63

Pool guy i know here years back was one of the first to start salt water conversions, not sure if there is a profit for you there?

Also you said you went from 65 customers to 40 now, have you touched base with those and get answers to why? Or try to get the business back?

Last, if you don't do pool repairs then find some company that does, sit with them and see if you can do referrals for them for either a flat fee or percentage of the work done.

Best of luck.

tatommack

Quote Originally Posted by stikymess View Post
    Pool guy i know here years back was one of the first to start salt water conversions, not sure if there is a profit for you there?

Also you said you went from 65 customers to 40 now, have you touched base with those and get answers to why? Or try to get the business back?

Last, if you don't do pool repairs then find some company that does, sit with them and see if you can do referrals for them for either a flat fee or percentage of the work done.

Best of luck.
    i do all repairs most moved ive only been fired by 2

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Brick and Mortar is struggling. Everything is going online. Amazon among others are sucking the life out of small businesses. It takes a large percentage of money out of the local economy and it affects everyone like pool services that don't have online competition.

Can't really blame that on the president. Change of the times. They need to begin charging these online retailers tax though.

Bigbill365
    Big Money Bettors
    Bigbill365's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1016

Clean salt water fish tanks

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    Brick and Mortar is struggling. Everything is going online. Amazon among others are sucking the life out of small businesses. It takes a large percentage of money out of the local economy and it affects everyone like pool services that don't have online competition.

Can't really blame that on the president. Change of the times. They need to begin charging these online retailers tax though.
    its pretty amazing that you can go to a store to pick something out that you want and then find a site that doesnt charge shipping OR sales tax and save a bundle....sometimes from the SAME FUKKIN BUSINESS

i did it with a $2000 refrigerator at best buy....saved myself $100 in sales tax....and the best part was that i still picked it up at the store
    Points Awarded:

SlickRick1382 gave InTheDrink 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: High3rEl3m3nt

SlickRick1382
    If hustlin' is a must; be Sosa, not Tony
    SlickRick1382's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11517

Pretty much has already been well said by others such as capitalist pig. You need to branch out and create another niche within your industry. You have to be able to provide other services at a time like this especially if you're unable to partake in larger commerical work due to insurance requirements among other potential problems.

tatommack

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post

yeah i noticed that a few years back when i started getting service calls for something they bought online. most things like cleaners are cheaper online than i can get them for.

12 Last