nyplayer33
    nyplayer33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

is ethic slurs cause for being fired

Someone I know contantly uses ethnic slurs in my presence,,im italian..although not directed at me it is said frequently. He doesn't seem to think its an issue at all. He also uses company email to email co workers friends and uses slurs about asian,germans,blacks you name it.....isn't this illegal and a fireable offense. Please give feedback

v1y
    v1y's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1633

is he clearly a racist, or does he just use the words generally?

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9245

I think in most companies it would be fireable the first time if it was used in a violent/attacking way. But mostly they would counsel the person first time reported I think.

If it bothers you and you can't bring yourself to tell him or your boss personally, send an email to HR.

I really don't like people doing that either. Kind of putting you in the spot of either speaking up or looking like you tacitly agree with the attitude. But my adult son does it, and won't bloody stop, so I've decided sometimes you just have to put up with it. We can't demand everyone adopts our values same as they can't demand we adopt theirs (even though this behavior is a passive way of trying to do just that)

nyplayer33

He's amean mo fo....used to be a close friend

SEAHAWKHARRY
    Northern Lights
    SEAHAWKHARRY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2385

Get rid of the bastard

Blutarski
    Blutarski's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

Yes. If it is ignored or minimized by just counseling and/or suspension the company puts itself at financial/legal risk. Physical harm of employees is usually preceeded by verbal insults and threats. If this guy is suspended and comes into work a month later and assaults you, you could get a huge sum of money.
    Do yourself a favor document this stuff now. Print out emails save them. Also make sure you have a trusted co-worker present when he says these insults. You will thank me when it's time to sue your company. Also inform your HR department in writing, via certified mail of the abuse. If they do nothing and something happens you will have all the proof you need for a discrimination suit. Workplace violence happens, and it's clowns like this guy who do it.
    Last edited by Blutarski; 12-30-11 at 03:59 PM.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Most companies would fire the guy if he gets reported and investigation concludes claims are true. Documentation means everything today when lawyers get involved.

statnerds
    Put me in coach
    statnerds's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 103

Does biden know you are posting stuff about him in a public forum?

nyplayer33

getting rid of him seems best..hate people who constantly are full hatred

MARVEL
    MARVEL's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 935

It actually falls under harassment, I.E. hostile work environment. We receive training on this subject yearly at my job. Its no joke.

brettels
    brettels's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16

It can also land you in jail in many places around the world if done outside the workplace to any random person

Maniac
    Maniac's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8815

Does anything normally happen when the ethnic slurs are aimed at Caucasians, or is it pretty much ignored and not considered on the same scale as the same sort of slurs against an African American or any other race ?

Cant say that I have ever really heard of any instance whereby someone has been in trouble for saying something about a caucasian, yet hear plenty of instances where it is the other round - am not saying that it is right, but are there double standards or does it actually happen and I have just not heard about it ?0

Lookingtostart
    Lookingtostart's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4542

How is he getting away with it? Do a background check on him, see what you dig up and as another has said, document his moves best you can and have witnesses. This sort of stuff can get people fired easily.

nyplayer33

in the works as we speak

Marv001
    Marv001's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hell yes you can get fired.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Quote Originally Posted by MARVEL View Post
    It actually falls under harassment, I.E. hostile work environment. We receive training on this subject yearly at my job. Its no joke.
    A slot supervisor at Wynn is going to get whacked this week by H.R. for repeatedly using the word "******" when talking about Dr. J while he was playing machines over the past weekend. Dumb enough to say it in front of half a dozen employees and a few of us execs. She was sent home on suspension and I would guess she'll be unemployed by end of week after H.R. reviews all the statements and speaks to her. No shot at getting unemployment either.