robzilla
    An SBR Legend.
    robzilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 349

Should I still buy a dog from this breeder?

My wife and I are buying a dog, but today the breeder called and told me that 2 the dogs died cause the mom layed on the puppies. My dog is still alive though.

From what I understand there is a way to prevent the mom from laying on the puppies. Should I be concerned?

757sFinest
    757sFinest's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Ask for email addys or phone numbers of previous buyers. Check the breeders references.

robzilla
    An SBR Legend.

Quote Originally Posted by 757sFinest View Post
    Ask for email addys or phone numbers of previous buyers. Check the breeders references.
    Well the lady has been doing this for 30 something years, and the dog comes with a health guarentee... but still, I dont know if the mother laying on the pups is negligent on the breeders part or just part of what happens.

Kindred
    Bitcoin=Freedom
    Kindred's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 473

Just save a dog from the pound for free +EV and you get some good karma

robzilla
    An SBR Legend.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindred View Post
    The wife wants a specific breed.

Palcsi
    Palcsi's Avatar Become A Pro!

You should buy this dog as soon as possible, before he dies too...

Vol_Bengal
    Vol_Bengal's Avatar Become A Pro!

It happens. There are some things a breeder can do to reduce the chances (they call em pig rails to keep them from getting stuck under mother next to the sides of the kennel) but it still happens.

COYLO
    COYLO's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7608

it happens rob. just make sure the puppy looks in good health and has been raised with care when you go to collect it. are there no specific breed rescue shelters there
    what breed you looking for??

robzilla
    An SBR Legend.

Quote Originally Posted by COYLO View Post
    it happens rob. just make sure the puppy looks in good health and has been raised with care when you go to collect it. are there no specific breed rescue shelters there what breed you looking for??
    no, there arent any West Highland terrier rescues in my area. we just want a healthy puppy that is CKC.

Stallion
    Update your status
    Stallion's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16788

NO!!!

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

every puppy ive adopted from the pound either got parvo or kennel cough. most died.

so its prob a good idea to buy from responsible breeders.

stikymess
    stikymess's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 63

Quote Originally Posted by robzilla View Post
    does this mean like a kid once he/she isn't a puppy you are going to be the one taking care of the dog? Not try to sound like an ass but I've seen it over and over again.

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 687

not uncommon for a couple pups to die in a litter at all.

hunterwrot
    hunterwrot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

You cant prevent the female from laying on the pups. Dogs do weird things. I would probably get a shelter dog. It might be sick but you can run it by your vet first to check the health. Alot cheaper and mix breeds seem to be the healthiest dogs.

jw
    jw's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6737

Top 3 dogs I've ever owned have been pound/shelter mutts ... and all of my dogs from here until the day I die will also be pound/shelter mutts ... Have you checked to see if there is a "rescue" operation close by to where you live for the particular breed that you are interested in ?

oiler
    oiler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2500

what kind of dog was it

xlilsp1keyx
    xlilsp1keyx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

what do you mean laying on the puppies? as long as your dog is heathly u are good. and i believe if u have signed papers of the sale u have like a month to bring it to the vet and check out if the puppy is healthy if not u can always return it as a term of agreement. check up on that.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

This

nyed1010
    nyed1010's Avatar Become A Pro!

kudos to all the people that adopted the pit bulls from Vick's kennel.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ogs/index.html

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

yeah man go to a breeder i did been 1 year yesterday that i picked up my english bulldog shes awesome im not sure how i lived without her.

teaserpleaser

My wife and I are buying a dog, but today the breeder called and told me that 2 the dogs died cause the mom layed on the puppies. My dog is still alive though.

From what I understand there is a way to prevent the mom from laying on the puppies. Should I be concerned?
    Your breeder should be watching the mom and pups 24-7 for at least the first 3 weeks so things like this dont happen. My breeder did for the first 4 weeks her and her husband taking turns getting 4 hours of sleep then going to work .... she looked like hell at the end of that month.

boscokid
    boscokid's Avatar SBR PRO

My wife and I are buying a dog, but today the breeder called and told me that 2 the dogs died cause the mom layed on the puppies. My dog is still alive though. From what I understand there is a way to prevent the mom from laying on the puppies. Should I be concerned?
    standard

Vol_Bengal

Quote Originally Posted by teaserpleaser View Post
    Your breeder should be watching the mom and pups 24-7 for at least the first 3 weeks so things like this dont happen. My breeder did for the first 4 weeks her and her husband taking turns getting 4 hours of sleep then going to work .... she looked like hell at the end of that month.
    This is bullshit. This would be the extreme except and not the rule. I guess when you can sell an English bulldog for $1500-2000 apiece the breeder would have a little more invested in each puppy though to. As opposed to $400-600 each.

teaserpleaser

Quote Originally Posted by Vol_Bengal View Post
    This is bullshit. This would be the extreme except and not the rule. I guess when you can sell an English bulldog for $1500-2000 apiece the breeder would have a little more invested in each puppy though to. As opposed to $400-600 each.
    Ok bullshit or fact? This is my 2nd bully talked to over 20 breeders ALL of them stay 24 hours until at least 3 weeks All OF THEM. Now if you figure a dog isnt worth your time because its only worth $400-600 each thats a you problem. I'll be breeding my champ female with my brothers champ and keeping one or two giving the rest to family wont be making one penny best believe they will be watched by someone 24-7 during that first 3-4 weeks extreme or not better safe than sorry like this guys breeder. And i'd beware of a $1500 bulldog try more like 2k-3500k for Akc champ lines on both sides dame & sire not what i pay but is going rate here in Cali.

teaserpleaser

If your first question is PRICE.maybe this is not the breed that you should be looking into.In order to breed HIGH QUALITY and HEALTHY bulldogs it is NOT cheap!
    There is a great deal of time, effort and expense involved in raising a Bulldog litter. Without going into too much detail, it can cost $2000-$3000 to breed, deliver and raise a litter, without consideration for the time invested. The average litter size is 4. Getting the female ready for breeding requires pre-breeding testing, ovulation testing, etc. - approxiamtly 3 trips to the vet. Then the female is usually artificially inseminated, another 3 trips to the vet, not to mention the expense for the semen/stud service which is $500 and up. Then you wait 4 weeks for an ultrasound and/or x-rays. (It is important to be sure the female is pregnet). Special diets and constant monitoring for the next 5 weeks, plus getting the nursery getting with heating pads, bottles, blankets, medical supplies, milk replacer, puppy scale, and the list goes on and on. Then comes the C-section which can cost upwards of $500 assuming she went into labor DURING regular office hours and all went well. Females produce only 2 -3 litters. This is a special breed which requires the help of humans to bring a litter to 8 weeks of age. In spite of their appearance the Bulldog, as a newborn puppy is extremely fragile. It requires constant monitoring of the puppies (24 hours a day, 7 days a week). Bulldogs don't make the best mothers because they may lay on a puppy on accident and not even realize it. The puppies are normally checked by the vet at least 4 times during their first 8 weeks, uncluding wormings and puppy shots. It is a breed that requires MAXIMUM effort on the part of the breeder to make sure that all the puppies turn out healthy.

teaserpleaser

I can add a lot more if you want this isnt only for bulldogs.

Vol_Bengal

I can assure you it isn't that way for rottweilers, labradors, poodles, border collies...

just to name 4. And, that is because I have family / friends that have had litters / I've bought dogs from that didn't watch a litter 24/7.

I assure you, what you're suggesting is, BY FAR, the exception. Maybe bulldogs are just a dumber breed and need the extra handling...

teaserpleaser

Quote Originally Posted by Vol_Bengal View Post
    I can assure you it isn't that way for rottweilers, labradors, poodles, border collies...

just to name 4. And, that is because I have family / friends that have had litters / I've bought dogs from that didn't watch a litter 24/7.

I assure you, what you're suggesting is, BY FAR, the exception. Maybe bulldogs are just a dumber breed and need the extra handling...
    why would anybody buy those 4 types of dogs i can find those at a local shelter and you could save " throw away dogs " i assure you As far as being dumb my bullys can skateboard snowboard do anything any other dog can do very smart dogs. Myth that they are stupid dogs in many peoples minds lazy=stupid if you keep their weight down they are very active smart dogs this is fact. .... so rottweillers dont have 24 hour 7 days a week care for newborns??

teaserpleaser

Let me guess this is extreme too.... http://www.vonevmans.com/

Our whelping facility is a state of the art complex, separated from the other Rottweiler quarters where the mothers can quietly be very comfortable and deliver their puppies safely. The mothers have an indoor room and outdoor run so they can go in and out as they wish. Our whelping facility is designed to resemble a maternity ward decorated in pink and blue. A Veterinarian Laboratory is also in the whelping facility to perform tests on a regular basis to ensure the mothers and puppies health. Someone is with the mother and puppies 24 hours a day watching over them during the first few weeks.

Vol_Bengal

Quote Originally Posted by teaserpleaser View Post
    Our whelping facility is a state of the art complex, separated from the other Rottweiler quarters where the mothers can quietly be very comfortable and deliver their puppies safely. The mothers have an indoor room and outdoor run so they can go in and out as they wish. Our whelping facility is designed to resemble a maternity ward decorated in pink and blue. A Veterinarian Laboratory is also in the whelping facility to perform tests on a regular basis to ensure the mothers and puppies health. Someone is with the mother and puppies 24 hours a day watching over them during the first few weeks.
    I was just yanking your chain about the dumb comment... thought that might fire you up a bit.

Funny that you managed to grab a rottie breeder that chargers $1500 for non-show, non-breeding quality and $2000+ for show / breed quality. Anybody that has the possibility of realizing that kind of money for each puppy has significantly more interest in watching them more thoroughly...

Alas, from your local breeders where you could give three shits about "champion bloodlines", since you're not going to show the dog anyway and most will have them fixed, they're going to pay more like $400-$1000, depending on the breed. By and large, these breeders are not watching then litter 24/7.