Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

What do you do in this situation?

This is a tourney I was in. I had pocket 9's. After the flop, (9 hearts, 10 hearts, Queen spades) I end up with trip 9's. Two other guys go all in. There's no doubt that at least one of the guys has a straight already.

What should I do?

Bullajami
    Bullajami's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

What is in the pot and what do you have left behind if you call? What do you have left if you fold? What are the blinds?

Bluehorseshoe

Quote Originally Posted by Bullajami View Post
    What is in the pot and what do you have left behind if you call? What do you have left if you fold? What are the blinds?
    I would have been all in also. I would have had nothing left.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

Tourney? That's a tough, but smart fold. Someone has the nuts or the nuts and a big draw.
    Without the Nuts there and a draw to improve, I'm folding in a tourney situation. HOWEVER - if it doesn't cost much to call, it might be worth your while, but you're praying for the board to pair at that point and the odds don't say call most likely.

Also, you could have a set under set... In a tourney spot with 2 all in, you CANT call there without the nuts.

Cash game? I'd strongly think about it. If the price was reasonable and not felt me if I bricked it, I'd play.

If you were short stacked to begin with, your chips should've been in the middle anyway preflop

Bluehorseshoe

That's what I did. I dropped it.

A fourth 9 came up on the river.

Bullajami
    Bullajami's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Quote Originally Posted by McBa1n View Post
    Also, you could have a set under set... In a tourney spot with 2 all in, you CANT call there without the nuts.
    I disagree. You could be priced in for the call depending on what you have left behind and what the blinds are at this point. For example, if the blinds are 400/800, the pot is 10,000, and folding leaves you with just 800, its an easy call.

It could also be the right call if the people pushing ahead of you have a really wide pushing range - but in this case BHS is sure at least one of them has him beat, so calling a couple of loose pushers is not part of this particular scenario.

Folding may be the right move, but I cannot say for sure based on the limited info given.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

It's a tourney situation, though - with a 3rd person in the pot, odds COULD dictate calling, but again - you also have a better chance of losing, also. Survival first IMO in tourney play.

But the situation you described makes it a good spot to call - however, you should've had it all in the middle to begin with.

Unbelieveable that a 4th 9 came... sheesh

libbert
    libbert's Avatar Become A Pro!

First of all, if we asume that one of the players have a straight and the other a fluch draw, your chances of winning the had is 35.55%. So just over a three way coin flip. Based on this, I would most often fold. I would hope that I can find a better spot to double up.

As mentioned it also depends on other factors. I believe that the main factor is your stack size compared to the big blind plus small blind (Harringtons M). If your M is low, around 5, I would always go all in. You will not get much better chances to get a hand before you are blinded out.

/Libbert

buztah
    buztah's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by libbert View Post
    First of all, if we asume that one of the players have a straight and the other a fluch draw, your chances of winning the had is 35.55%. So just over a three way coin flip. Based on this, I would most often fold. I would hope that I can find a better spot to double up.

As mentioned it also depends on other factors. I believe that the main factor is your stack size compared to the big blind plus small blind (Harringtons M). If your M is low, around 5, I would always go all in. You will not get much better chances to get a hand before you are blinded out.

/Libbert

jolub
    jolub's Avatar Become A Pro!

I've called in this situation a few times and I've been both happy and knocked out of the game. Sometimes it better to take the chance as if you win you have a huge stack.

jolub
    jolub's Avatar Become A Pro!

Like everything in poker, it depends. Is this a buy-in or a freeroll? How much is the buy-in for? How close are you to being in the money?

If it's at the beginning of a tournament, I'd go all-in, not just call but go all-in. If you end up winning, you're going to be in a good spot. If you're near being in the money, I'd pass.

Let's take a look:
    After the flop you have 7 outs. Three each of the cards on the board plus one nine. That's ruffly 28% chance of improving. I'm guessing here because I don't know how much is in the pot but I'd guess you're being offered 3 to 1 on your money.

After the turn you have 10 outs. Three each of the cards on the board plus one nine. That's about 20% chance of improving.

Keep in mind you're guessing that the other two players have a straight and you have to improve to win. They might have flopped trips, top pair with top kicker, or two pair and some fools will even call an all-in with a four flush.

So I can't really tell you what to do because there's so much that you haven't said but's very important. All I can tell you is that this has happened to me more than once and I've called and both won and been sorry.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Without any reads, I guess it's a fold. There's no way to know where you're at. There's too many hands that beat yours, not to mention draws that can get there.

Pots odds wouldn't have been there anyway. You're not short stacked or you'd already be all-in. Preflop must've been all limps, or you'd have said something, so the pot is small.

That other 9 coming does test your sanity, though. haha