ThePhenom00
    ThePhenom00's Avatar Become A Pro!

best book to read for beginner poker player

I am new at poker and am curious what book you recommend for a beginning poker player wanting to learn to play no limit texas holdem

mrmarket
    Update your status
    mrmarket's Avatar Become A Pro!

Getting Started in Hold'em by Ed Miller.

Anything else pales in comparison.

mikemca
    Update Status
    mikemca's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 98

Harrington on Hold Em is the consensus choice for learning NLHE Tournament strategy.It is where the Green,Yellow,and Red zone theory originated and is a strategy most successful tournament players employ.Basically its how many blinds you have relative to the tournament structure dictate what hands you should play by which zone you fall in.
    However I would recommend a poker coach because a book just can't give you the tools for your specific personality.

OTL
    OTL's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5277

I like Brunson's Super System. Other books teach players to play ABC poker, which may be fine for grinding out micro-limits online, but you're going to get robbed blind by the more advanced players once you start playing at higher stakes.

shady610
    shady610's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8603

phil helmuth. play poker like the pros...

it was good for me because it didnt focus and straiight strategy as much as it did style. it takes different styles and identifys them.

Congruency
    Congruency's Avatar Become A Pro!

sklansky: no limit holdem theory and practice

a bit hard to read since all sklansky books are like that but i do think this is your best option, GL

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by mikemca View Post
    Harrington on Hold Em is the consensus choice for learning NLHE Tournament strategy.It is where the Green,Yellow,and Red zone theory originated and is a strategy most successful tournament players employ.Basically its how many blinds you have relative to the tournament structure dictate what hands you should play by which zone you fall in.
    However I would recommend a poker coach because a book just can't give you the tools for your specific personality.
    Harrington on Hold Em is good, but there's Harrington on Cash Games out now. This is a great book for getting started in NL poker. Teaches you everything you need to know. Also if you're looking to get the books for free http://www.twoplustwo.com/poker-bonus/ is a great website to look at. Also a great learning website and lots of people helping improve your game.

Phightin' Phils
    Phightin' Phils's Avatar Become A Pro!

"small stakes hold 'em: winning big with expert play" by ed miller, david sklansky, and mason malmuth is a great book to read for beginner cash game players.

hoobiwan
    hoobiwan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2022

the harrington books are good for beginners.
    Also sklansky book

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Harrington on Hold em Vol 1. Get to know the basics first before moving forward. Figure out what your game is going to be (cash, sng, mtt) then find a book or videos online that specialize in those areas. I wouldn't get a coach if you are just starting. You can learn the basics on your own and save the usually expensive coaching fee. Coaching helps you take it to the next level and that's where you get your moneys worth.

IMO, Poker like the Pros and Super System 2 are a little out dated and, even though they are my favorites, everyone has read Harrington's books by now too.

ND25
    ND25's Avatar Become A Pro!

play poker like the pro phil helmuth. Simply strategy for beginners. It will help limit your loses while getting your feet wet.

sq764
    sq764's Avatar Become A Pro!

never read it but have to read supersystem

Phightin' Phils
    Phightin' Phils's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by sq764 View Post
    never read it but have to read supersystem
    if you've never read it, how do you know its a must-read?

sinmiedo
    sinmiedo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 369

Skalansky by far the most mathematical of all.

Ian
    Tank Man Lives
    Ian's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33486

If you're a total beginner the Howard Lederer DVDs aren't bad. They're very basic and they recommend a very tight strategy, but playing very tight isn't a bad way to start.

B1GER1C828
    Bostoneric
    B1GER1C828's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 318

harrington on holdem r by far the best when ur starting out...give them a go.

shroomysoup
    shroomysoup's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 67

Phil Gordon's Little Green Book and Little Blue Book. Very easy to read and easy to understand the mathematical concepts.

Czu81
    Czu81's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5709

These books are all good but I advice if u have a an experienced player mate watch him/her while playing, also try to find which poker form is suits for u (cash, MTT, sng).

Margin Walker
    Margin Walker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1255

Super System or LLNL by Angel Largay