franklee168's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17041

RIP

eddycash
    eddycash's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15930

Sad bro he was awesome.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: thechaoz

blankoblanco
    blankoblanco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29970

Sad news. RIP

Guessing drugs were the cause?

Ryermkd
    God is Good
    Ryermkd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1882

Quote Originally Posted by franklee168 View Post
    RIP

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

That's way young. He was one of the "dudes" during the poker boom. A lot of those guys were actual pros and lived hard lives. Many have learned and use it as a money making hobby but it's pretty much unbeatable as a full time job now with Game theory and such.

Ryermkd
    God is Good

Quote Originally Posted by thechaoz View Post
    That's way young. He was one of the "dudes" during the poker boom. A lot of those guys were actual pros and lived hard lives. Many have learned and use it as a money making hobby but it's pretty much unbeatable as a full time job now with Game theory and such.

blankoblanco
    blankoblanco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29970

Yeah. Layne Flack was primed to be one of the superstars of the ESPN poker boom for a hot minute, then slowly (or quickly, depending on your perspective) faded into obscurity as too many other players surpassed him, including many other old school guys who just worked harder than he did to improve. I think he thought he could coast and realized far too late he couldn't, had major difficulty coping with going from a big shot to not

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

Quote Originally Posted by blankoblanco View Post
    Yeah. Layne Flack was primed to be one of the superstars of the ESPN poker boom for a hot minute, then slowly (or quickly, depending on your perspective) faded into obscurity as too many other players surpassed him, including many other old school guys who just worked harder than he did to improve. I think he thought he could coast and realized far too late he couldn't, had major difficulty coping with going from a big shot to not
    Yeah once the younger (mine at the time) 28 tabling/math/wallstreet/investment wizzes got in poker it changed a ton. I put myself through College playing super nitty/10 man tabes on Stars/PartyPoker/UltimateBet/Bodog from 2004 ish through my Masters. I believe that was the MoneyMaker year.

Played just barely breaking even or a little better and clearing rakeback and bonuses. The were VERY generous for years and reloads for days. Could just bounce back and forth if not.

Being super elite on stars was good enough money by itself. Between that and my grants I had no issues. I made way more money than minimum wage or any part time work. You didn't even have to really think.

Crazy now even drunk ass degenerate sbr players understand more advanced concepts now or at least use them effectively on accident some times lol. Eventually the top players knew they had to diversify with teaching sites/real jobs/business ventures/sponsorships now. Some even outright quit another then the occasional gamble because they margins became too thin as poker became closer to becoming "solved"

THAT BEING SAID. Live poker, especially cash games with elder statesmen are still fuggin gold mines. It's just not a lot of fun compared to sitting in my PJS at home, but a ton more cash to be had.

Ryermkd
    God is Good

Yeah once the younger (mine at the time) 28 tabling/math/wallstreet/investment wizzes got in poker it changed a ton. I put myself through College playing super nitty/10 man tabes on Stars/PartyPoker/UltimateBet/Bodog from 2004 ish through my Masters. I believe that was the MoneyMaker year.

Played just barely breaking even or a little better and clearing rakeback and bonuses. The were VERY generous for years and reloads for days. Could just bounce back and forth if not.

Being super elite on stars was good enough money by itself. Between that and my grants I had no issues. I made way more money than minimum wage or any part time work. You didn't even have to really think.

Crazy now even drunk ass degenerate sbr players understand more advanced concepts now or at least use them effectively on accident some times lol. Eventually the top players knew they had to diversify with teaching sites/real jobs/business ventures/sponsorships now. Some even outright quit another then the occasional gamble because they margins became too thin as poker became closer to becoming "solved"

THAT BEING SAID. Live poker, especially cash games with elder statesmen are still fuggin gold mines. It's just not a lot of fun compared to sitting in my PJS at home, but a ton more cash to be had.