VegasVixen
    Update your status
    VegasVixen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1357

Crazy hand played in 1/2 NL last week...

So I spent the last 2 weeks out in Vegas playing a few deep stack tourneys / a little cash getting ready for WSOP events at end of June...

I was in a 1/2 NL game @ GNugg when this hand came down. I limped from the button with 5c6c and there were about 5 players in the hand, $10 pot. Flop comes 2h4c7c for open-ended straight flush. SB bets $20, folded to me I min raise to $40, he calls. Turn is 8c making my straight flush. He checks, I check behind. Riv is a meaningless Kd. He checks, and I reach for my chips thrying to figure out how much he may pay off this huge hand. As I'm cutting out a $35 bet, he states "I call whatever you bet"... WHat?!?!? I ask the dealer "Is that verbal action binding?" and she replies YES. So I declare I'm all-in. (I have $900 on the table, he has $750). The dealer then asks him if he wants her to call a floor to verify that his verbal declaration of a call is binding, and he says "No... I call"...

In a matter of 30 seconds I went from trying to get paid $35 for a straight flush to scooping a $1550 pot. All he said was "guess Ill never make that mistake again", and he proceeded to rebuy for another $700.

I never saw his hand, I have to assume it was a nut flush? Although I could have asked to see the cards, I chose to not add insult to injury...

FWIW, the Nugg had a very deep 1/2 NL game going nightly (it's a NO CAP buy-in there), with plenty tourists wandering into the room all night

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

I'm not sure he even had the nut flush. Checking out of position twice hoping you would bet, but making the mistake of "calling whatever" before you put your chips out their ... seems amateurish.

I say a weaker flush, or flopped set.

Congrats on the hand, and for not making him show.

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10512

iam glad for you vv , you and i need to be a team

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

I agree with Gummo. No way he had the nut flush, otherwise he would've not only called, but re-raised on the river.

Whatever he had, congratulations on the outcome, VV.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

what a clown. theres no hand he shoulda went broke with in that spot so deep and such a small pot.

beerman2619
    beerman2619's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

Played on the 1/2 nl table just right now. Went broke going all in with pocket kings had about 40 points. Guy calls with 5 9 offsuit. Flop comes 5 6 8 i wonder what the turn is going to be uhhh a 7 he gets a straight. What a bucking joke glad its just points

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

I actually saw a similar situation come up playing live two weeks ago. I wasn't in the hand and it was a flush vs flush situation...neither had straight flush. The guy said the same thing out of turn "I call whatever you bet"...but the player with the best hand didn't shove and just bet 3/4 pot or so instead. He asked the dealer after the hand if his words were binding and she said yes. He didn't pick up on it until after the fact. Guy missed out on some extra $

Jrod124
    Update your status
    Jrod124's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 535

wow thats crazy, u have to be careful what u say at a poker table. Lesson learned

VegasVixen
    Update your status
    VegasVixen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1357

Note that verbal is NOT binding at alot of rooms... I asked Bobby @ Palms room later that night what would have happened there and he said his action would not have been binding. When in doubt, ask the floor...

BiTeMe UsAdOj
    Profundity
    BiTeMe UsAdOj's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 716

Quote Originally Posted by VegasVixen View Post
    Note that verbal is NOT binding at alot of rooms... I asked Bobby @ Palms room later that night what would have happened there and he said his action would not have been binding. When in doubt, ask the floor...
    Yep. I had a guy last year say the same thing to me at Turning Stone and the ruling was that it was NOT binding.

I wasn't a happy camper.....

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

if he had ace high flush he might've felt he had to call regardless, even if you all ined.

If he didn't have at least king high, he's crazy.

GamblerSpirit
    TheCentaur, Spankie gone fishing :(
    GamblerSpirit's Avatar Become A Pro!

Wow, sweet pot. kudos