whatsgood5
    Let's fuckin' do it
    whatsgood5's Avatar Become A Pro!

? for ppl tht know about cars: Possible to misdiagnose a "valve cover gasket leak"?

I'm looking at purchasing a used car in NYC which is about four hours from me so I ordered a mobile pre-purchase inspection and this is what the report shows me:

Anyways, I called the scummy prick used car dealer selling it, and he told me that he took it to his mechanic and they didn't find that report to be accurate or some shit.

So I guess what I'm asking is, is it possible incorrectly diagnose this? Because I would think this isn't really an issues you can have an opinion on, it either is leaking, or isn't leaking. Is there any room for judgement on this?

Thanks in advance if anyone is able to help me with this!

Cap dat 4ss
    okst. -13.5
    Cap dat 4ss's Avatar Become A Pro!

No reason for your inspector to put that if he didn't really find it but very good reason for dildos wrench monkey to say everything is fine. Go with the independent, non-biased inspectors report or else you'll be replacing the head gasket and getting your valves machined

sharpcat
    sharpcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Nothing above your valve covers that could leak. So basically if there was oil around that area than it had to be from the valve cover.

Most used vehicles will have minor oil leaks if it is leaking bad it is usually really simple to replace valve cover gaskets, remove bolts, remove valve cover, peel of old gasket, wipe everything down, put new gasket on, replace valve cover and tighten bolts in a criss-cross pattern making sure not to over tighten and split the gasket.

If it is no leaking fresh oil and is only stained with oil residue it does not need to be replaced.

jpowderly
    I have alzheimer's disease
    jpowderly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

I would say it is probably leaking oil. The valve cover gaskets are not always easy to change. I would research the year and make of the car on the internet, to find out who hard it will be.

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

If the mechanic is a retard than I would say yes

Doug
    Doug's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1298

Quote Originally Posted by sharpcat View Post
    Nothing above your valve covers that could leak. So basically if there was oil around that area than it had to be from the valve cover.

Most used vehicles will have minor oil leaks if it is leaking bad it is usually really simple to replace valve cover gaskets, remove bolts, remove valve cover, peel of old gasket, wipe everything down, put new gasket on, replace valve cover and tighten bolts in a criss-cross pattern making sure not to over tighten and split the gasket.

If it is no leaking fresh oil and is only stained with oil residue it does not need to be replaced.
    the problem is that costs $100 an hour to do.

whatsgood5
    Let's fuckin' do it
    whatsgood5's Avatar Become A Pro!

Called in to the local mechanic I use for a quote on it yesterday, and he said the part's relatively cheap, but it's a three hour job, so I'd kinda be getting boned there on like $80/hr labor. Apparently from what I've found online since it's a V6 they have to like completely take the engine out or some shit like that.

Thanks for all your answers guys, I've got one more quick question for anyone that'd be able to answer it.

What's the deal with the belts? I know this is probably tough to answer without actually seeing them, but is it usually necessary and/or a good idea to replace "worn belts", or do you wait for them to break or something? What's the strategy involved there?

Roadtrip635
    Roadtrip635's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21078

Change the belts if they look worn, glazed, frayed or starting to show cracks. DO NOT wait for them to break, could lead to a catastrophic failure.

sharpcat
    sharpcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by whatsgood5 View Post
    Called in to the local mechanic I use for a quote on it yesterday, and he said the part's relatively cheap, but it's a three hour job, so I'd kinda be getting boned there on like $80/hr labor. Apparently from what I've found online since it's a V6 they have to like completely take the engine out or some shit like that.

Thanks for all your answers guys, I've got one more quick question for anyone that'd be able to answer it.

What's the deal with the belts? I know this is probably tough to answer without actually seeing them, but is it usually necessary and/or a good idea to replace "worn belts", or do you wait for them to break or something? What's the strategy involved there?
    You had better learn some key mechanical words and some slick talking before you go to see a mechanic or else he is going to bury you on every possible part that is due to be replaced, even though you really do not need to replace it.

This mechanic is going to be drooling like a bookie taking on a new player asking "what is a 10 team parlay?"

Looks like that point stiffing history may be coming back around on you!!!