Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

So correct me if I am wrong...

These prickball marble mouthed gas station owners charging $3.70 right now for gasoline that when it went in the ground cost them for the price of lets just say $3.00. How are they getting away with it?

We won't see the oil that actually costs more until it is drilled, refined, and sent out. Now, I am not a jerkoff, I know it raises the cost of it in general, just like gold. I just don't see the fairness in the gouging.

SoV
    "Why always me"
    SoV's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    These prickball marble mouthed gas station owners charging $3.70 right now for gasoline that when it went in the ground cost them for the price of lets just say $3.00. How are they getting away with it?

We won't see the oil that actually costs more until it is drilled, refined, and sent out. Now, I am not a jerkoff, I know it raises the cost of it in general, just like gold. I just don't see the fairness in the gouging.
    I don't see what Zeta did to be included in this.

xkgb
    IN THREAD
    xkgb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23

because they are calling each others friends and those who own other gas stations and find out that the next shipment of gas is goingto cost them x amount more, so they rush to make a profit now, rather then waiting for the next tanker to bring in their gas at a premium and the'd b forced to only make 15-20 cents a gallon....They get away with it, because they can dude, but its not always the case

jw
    jw's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6737

... when they replace whats in the ground - they are going to have to pay next weeks price - which could be 20% higher than it is today ...

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

bp or whichever suppliers they are using are charging them based on today's prices.
    so except for the day or two worth of product that's in the tank at lower prices, they really aren't getting away with anything.
    and on the way down they get hit with higher priced product in the tank for a day or two.

typical gasoline margins are 15-20cents, back out 8cents/gallon in CC charges (on average 80% of purchases are credit), and gas station owners really aren't making as much money as you think they are.

an awful lot of gas stations have closed and declared bankruptcy over the last 3 years around here.

YorkHunt
    I JUST RELEASED
    YorkHunt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1507

It is not fair. But you think the govt. give a flying fukk?

Ninersnut
    Money talks and bullshit runs marathons
    Ninersnut's Avatar Become A Pro!

Simple case of supply and demand. You're lucky they aren't charging $5 a gallon. All these bullshit uprising and wars are for the most part planned, likely privately funded. Now this will string along until summer where the gas rises anyway cause everyone is traveling. The rich get richer, Brock gets poorer.

BatemanPatrickl
    JayVegas420 Contest Winner
    BatemanPatrickl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 129

Bottom line is Americans should be the ones revolting but we cannot. Government too powerful. Military too big. Weapons too bad.

If you are not on the Forbes 400 list you are NOT welcome.

onetrickpony
    onetrickpony's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by SoV View Post
    I don't see what Zeta did to be included in this.

underthe total
    under
    underthe total's Avatar Become A Pro!

shipments of gas are daily, so prices go up immediately

El Sol
    El Sol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1802

Just like you trying to get the best betting line or the best edge for yourself, business owners in any industry will try to get the most profit. How is this any different?

underthe total
    under

boys there is a pipeline that runs from louisiana and up the east coast. all gas companies get there gas from this pipeline. the trucks fill up and go deliever, they repeat this cycle everyday. the price they pay when they get it out of the pipeline changes daily. this is why we see price changes overnight.

the profit margin is not what you think less than 10%

rsnnh12
    rsnnh12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 205

They typically make a few pennies per gallon... they really make their money from the overpriced household items inside, most notably beer/wine/cigarettes

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

Filled up 2 days ago for $3.04.....same store has it at $3.31 tonight.

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

They charge what the market will bear.

DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!

Really? You're going after "gas station owners" while companies like Haliburton rake in billions?

paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7051

It is what it is..

FuzzyDunlop
    Poster of the Month October 2015
    FuzzyDunlop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

We'll hit a national average over $5 this summer.

pepper60000
    pepper60000's Avatar Become A Pro!

companies like to gouge consumers....

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

Quote Originally Posted by pepper60000 View Post
    companies like to gouge consumers....
    Always have and always will.

mr. leisure
    mr. leisure's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33158

There all a bunch of coksuckers

dherd
    dherd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 70

Quote Originally Posted by jw View Post
    ... when they replace whats in the ground - they are going to have to pay next weeks price - which could be 20% higher than it is today ...
    i realize that is their excuse but when you think about it it doesnt hold water. they are making an extra 50 cents per gallon right now. when they get the next shipment in they are going to make their
    normal profit, then when the price goes back down they are not going to cut prices as soon as the mkt price changes - they are going to maintain the higher prices until the next tanker is unloaded.

DONT FORGET - THE OIL COMPANIES OWN MOST OF THE STATIONS NOW - those of us old enough to remember know that back about 20 or 30 yrs ago the big oil companies forced most independent station owners out and took over the stations themselves.

we have to get off oil and get on renewables.

jimmy carter for whatever faults he has tried to do this back in the late 70's then reagan came along
    and reversed everything carter did to get us off oil. for example carter put solar panels on the white house - when reagan came in he had them removed.

conservative politicians are owned by big oil, big pharma, big banks, and big insurance. they have no
    motivation for changing the status quo. in fact thats what the word cnservative mean = against change and for the status quo.

rsnnh12
    rsnnh12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 205

Quote Originally Posted by dherd View Post
    i realize that is their excuse but when you think about it it doesnt hold water. they are making an extra 50 cents per gallon right now. when they get the next shipment in they are going to make their
    normal profit, then when the price goes back down they are not going to cut prices as soon as the mkt price changes - they are going to maintain the higher prices until the next tanker is unloaded.

DONT FORGET - THE OIL COMPANIES OWN MOST OF THE STATIONS NOW - those of us old enough to remember know that back about 20 or 30 yrs ago the big oil companies forced most independent station owners out and took over the stations themselves.

we have to get off oil and get on renewables.

jimmy carter for whatever faults he has tried to do this back in the late 70's then reagan came along
    and reversed everything carter did to get us off oil. for example carter put solar panels on the white house - when reagan came in he had them removed.

conservative politicians are owned by big oil, big pharma, big banks, and big insurance. they have no
    motivation for changing the status quo. in fact thats what the word cnservative mean = against change and for the status quo.
    Why force change? When the market is ready for renewable resources, they will come out. They just aren't cheap enough yet. Gas is still cheaper. Have you seen how expensive solar panels are?

I guarantee oil companies already have renewable resources ready to go... it doesn't make business sense for them not to. Until gas is not worth the investment though, we are stuck with it. And no one is stopping other companies from creating a renewable energy and marketing it to the people, are they? Having the government force things will only make things worse, because that's what the government does. If you don't believe me, look at the last time Amtrak ran profits for a year (hint- they never have)

underthe total
    under

just the simple fact that the gov has forced car manufacturers to a certain MPG on cars, moved the publinc and manufactureres to trucks, and making cars that look like trucks that they can call trucks since there was less MPG restrictions on them.

Another point on forcing away from oil. as our need for oil deminishes what will happen to oil prices? when there is less demand what will oild prices do? they will go up. that is how our economy is set up.

as the demand for items increases they become more affordable because they figure out ways to make them affordable for the market (middle class).

we are stuck with oil. for a very long time. 3 or 4 more lifetimes

BadNina
    I did troubles!!
    BadNina's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13869

Deuce, you also have to factor in federal, state and local taxes into the price per gallon. Just the governments way of saying "Please bend over".

shawnkang
    shawnkang's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

its $1.25 a litre out here.

lonesomeloser
    lonesomeloser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Time for everybody to just drive off without paying. Fuk em.

jw
    jw's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6737

Quote Originally Posted by dherd View Post

Are you sure. I would guess that the majority are still independently owned.

The "Brand" you see on the sign - may not even be the supplier of the gasoline in the tanks.

The current price rise has much more to do with the fluctuation of and relative strength/weakness of the dollar than it has to do with the pennies on the dollar profit the station owner actually makes.

I find it amusing that the same people that are here bashing the station owners for making a 5-10% or so profit on the gasoline in their tanks .. would not even think twice about going and paying a 200% markup on a new t-shirt or loaf of bread .. or will quite happily pay a pharmaceutical company a several hundred(thousand?) percent markup on a few chemicals ground together to form a little blue pill that will help them get it up well into their old age ;0)

The fact is - gasoline prices in this country and still VERY reasonable when compared to the rest of the world ... try paying $10 per gallon in the UK or most of Europe for a few months and then come back and cry over paying $3 a gallon to fill your huge-ass truck or SUV.

Personally I've just gone form a car getting 32 mpg to a nice big SUV getting around 20/22 ... I consider gas prices to be very reasonable .. if $5 a gallon is going to break you ... maybe you are driving the wrong car.

MEATHEAD
    MEATHEAD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Might break down and buy a moped. 90 Miles a gallon.

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

If you take into consideration the US and oil companies has a huge amount of reserve,
    gas prices should not be reflected right away. That's why oil companies make huge
    amounts of profit when the prices at the pump go up.

Stations and their owners watch the commodity price and instantly jack up their
    rates at the pump. It doesn't matter if their tanks are full or not.

Everything you buy is a direct result of commodity price. Doesn't matter what kind
    of reserves they have. Gas, milk, wheat or orange juice.

If the oil companies bought at $50 a barrel and have a 6 month supply and oil goes
    up to $100 today, they are going to charge the higher price today. That's why they
    make those huge profits.

So yes, bend over everyone, no matter where you live.

chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

Ah just shut up, every one of yah. Americans always gotta bitch about something. Try paying 2x retail for nearly everything, or paying $5 for a gallon of gas. Until you realize just how good you have it in America, quit yer bitchin'.

AribaAriba
    AribaAriba's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 97

We're addicted to Oil

hubie69
    I am JJs bookie
    hubie69's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 617

Ariba, how can you pin this on Bush? Do you really think it's bush's fault that gas is expensive right now?

zert
    zert's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3617

the price of gas will effect this summers economy

AribaAriba
    AribaAriba's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 97

Quote Originally Posted by hubie69 View Post
    Ariba, how can you pin this on Bush? Do you really think it's bush's fault that gas is expensive right now?
    didnt say that his fault but this was the same word he said and its a fact. IMO, he's the worst president in my lifetime by causing war in Iraq and duping us to believe on 9/11. Not saying it wasnt the terrorist who killed the 9/11 victimes but there was just a lot of shady things that's hard to believe.

12 Last