jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Floods head towards Australia's Brisbane, many evacuate

Ed Davies

Authorities urged thousands of residents to leave the outskirts of Australia's third largest city on Tuesday as others sandbagged homes and stockpiled food in anticipation of rising floodwaters and further heavy rain.

Passenger in a car waves for assistance as a flash flood sweeps across an intersection in …More Enlarge photo

Ten people died overnight, with cars and pedestrians swept away in a "super storm" that sent water raging through the streets of Toowoomba, west of Brisbane. More than 40 people were pulled from rooftops by helicopters, but 78 were still missing.
    The worst flooding in Queensland state in 50 years has killed 14 people in the past two weeks, but police warn the death toll could rise significantly, fearing many people may have drowned trapped in submerged cars and homes.
    Traffic jams clogged central Brisbane as people headed out by car amid heavy rains and initial flooding. Eighty suburbs were expecting flooding ahead of the crest of the swollen Brisbane River, expected on Thursday.
    Families poured into evacuation centres in Brisbane as well as neighbouring Ipswich, where a third of the town was expected to be submerged as water levels reach a peak overnight.
    Some 1,500 people were sheltering in centres as floodwaters spilled from 16 Queensland dams. A further four dams, including Brisbane's massive Wivenhoe Dam, released vast qualities of water, adding to the surge.
    Police said 9,000 homes in Brisbane would be flooded by Thursday and 30,000 properties would suffer some inundation.
    "The situation has obviously demonstrably deteriorated," Brisbane Mayor Campbell Newman told a news conference. "Today is very significant, tomorrow is bad, and Thursday is going to be devastating for the residents and businesses affected."
    The floods have at times covered an area bigger than France and Germany combined and caused an estimated $6 billion in damage, inundating 70 towns, some twice in recent weeks.
    Floodwaters have brought the state's $25 billion coking coal export industry to a virtual standstill, hit tourism and devastated agriculture.
    The floods will also hit economic growth this year, heighten inflation as food prices rise and dampen retail spending. They are also forecast to prompt Australia's central bank to delay an expected interest rate rise from February to May.
    The Australian dollar sank to a three-week low on Tuesday on concerns that Queensland's flooded coal mines, supplying Asia's steel mills, may take months to return to normal production.
    Prime Minister Julia Gillard said the flooding would not derail an expected budget surplus in 2012-13. But the National Australia Bank said the floods would reduce growth by 0.25 percent over this quarter and last.
    CALL FOR CALM AS FLOODWATERS RISE
    Authorities said the situation could even prove worse than devastating floods in 1974, when the Brisbane River burst its banks, cascading into thousands of homes and killing 14 people.
    "We need to make every effort to stay calm and stick together. If you live on high ground, now is the time to reach out and offer help to neighbors ... and offer a bed for the night," Queensland state Premier Anna Bligh said.
    Floodwaters carried trees, boats and large steel pontoons torn from moorings through the center of Brisbane.
    Workers deserted high-rise office towers in the center of the city as constant rain pushed river levels higher, lapping boardwalks and riverbank buildings. Water edged its way up to the steps of the Queensland state library.
    "It's taking on new proportions and getting worse by the minute," said Gary McGowan, a businessman from a western suburb, who said boats and pontoons were being swept away.
    Julia Zhu piled sandbags into a Mercedes to defend her high-end gown business in a low-lying district. "We have half-a-million dollars worth of stock and no insurance cover," she said.
    Shoppers stocking up thronged a supermarket in the city's west, with bread and vegetables already sold out. "They've been grabbing potatoes and other things," said a shop assistant.
    Crocodiles at a nearby Sunshine Coast zoo founded by the late television wildlife star Steve Irwin were being tied up in case they escaped in the deluge.
    The floods have been blamed on a La Nina weather pattern in the Pacific, with Australia recording its third-wettest year on record in 2010, with two wet-season months to go. Weather officials are also forecasting an above average cyclone season.
    "The Queensland floods are caused by what is one of the strongest, if not the strongest, La Nina events since our records began in the late 19th century," said Professor Neville Nicholls, an environmental science expert at Monash University.
    BROWN FLOODWATERS LIKE INLAND TSUNAMI
    Television footage showed brown floodwater gushing through the center of Toowoomba on Monday laden with debris, as people clung to telephone poles and rooftops to survive.
    Panicked motorists climbed onto cars to escape the deluge, which destroyed homes and bridges, and hurled cars into trees and buildings like corks.
    "Early reports would indicate that what hit Toowoomba could best be described as an inland, instant tsunami, with a massive wall of water that's gone down through the Lockyer Valley," Police Commissioner Bob Atkinson said.
    The Queensland floods have paralyzed operations that produce 35 percent of Australia's estimated 259 million tons of exportable coal.
    Australia contributes two-thirds of world exports of steelmaking raw material coking coal.
    Coal seam gas drilling in the Surat Basin, a big source of gas for an estimated $200 billion in proposed liquefied natural gas projects, was halted on Monday by flooding.
    Global miners Anglo American, Rio Tinto, Xstrata and BHP Billiton, have been hit by the floods, and all have made force majeure declarations, which release firms from delivery commitments.
    Flooding has begun to recede in the main Bowen Basin coal region, but many mines remain flooded and will take weeks to drain and resume full production. While some rail links between mines and the ports have been opened, others are under water.
    Stocks were running low at the key coal port of Dalrymple Bay, but it was receiving enough to keep loading ships, while the port of Gladstone said it could be days to weeks before it starts getting coal supplies back to normal.
    Hotel operators said the rain had caused cancellations in popular tourist strips on the Sunshine and Gold coasts, which claim a large slice of the $32 billion tourism industry.
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 05-12-16 at 03:55 PM. Reason: image does not exist

jjgold

jjgold

I have never seen flood footage that bad before

wow

Wulfman14
    The Great Khali
    Wulfman14's Avatar Become A Pro!

wow, wasnt there a tennis tournament there last week

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

This is devasating and so many of my friends are fukked, many of them with children and several missing family members. They're stuck on roofs and were trying to find floatie things for their babies last i heard. 5 kids already confirmed dead and some of the Facebook statuses I saw earlier today were heart-breaking. Mother Nature chucked this country again. Twice in two years.

I just hope our Brissie posters are all safe and well as this is really, really bad. No joking around.
    Last edited by shari91; 01-11-11 at 08:19 AM.

jjgold

I have never seen flood footage like that, the water pressure was unreal

QuantumLeap
    Let's go, Brandon!
    QuantumLeap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8218

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    This is devasating and so many of my friends are fukked, many of them with children and several missing family members. They're stuck on roofs and were trying to find floatie things for their babies last i heard. 5 kids already confirmed dead and some of the Facebook statuses I saw earlier today were heart-breaking. Mother Nature chucked this country again. Twice in two years.

I just hope our Brissie posters are all safe and well as this is really, really bad. No joking around.
    I believe poster Santo lives in Brisbane.

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!
    Ace_of_Spades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    I have never seen flood footage that bad before

wow
    Happens in South America all the time.

RLF
    RLF's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 496

This could turn out to be Australia's worst disaster of all time. Some of Brisbane city is now under water.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Who gives a shit about this get your head out of your ass and start picking winners

compaqDikk
    compaqDikk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

man this shitt is seriously gonna fukk up st. marys (CA) recruiting

Christina33
    Christina33's Avatar Become A Pro!

Sad. Thoughts and prayers will be with them. Life is so precious

chance
    chance's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 833

The water is due to peek in about 8 hours. Will only get worse especially when it hits Brisbane. The Brisbane river snakes through the Brisbane CDB.

decado
    decado's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

wtf is below the street surface? looks weird to me.

dizzy_7
    dizzy_7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

This is a terrible disaster and us Australians will bandy together to get through this.

jjgold

yes one of bigger disasters I have seen in a while

Horrible

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!
    Ace_of_Spades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Apparently someone spotted Bull Sharks in the Ipswich flood chasing fish. Don't know if its true, but thats what i heard on the radio.

brucethebear
    brucethebear's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hi Guys,
    I live 15km from the city.
    If it wasn't for the blanket news coverage, you wouldn't know it was happening at my place.

The CBD is a different story. Water has started to flow into the CBD. My work about 2km out of the city will likely flood.
    In short, we have had more than 600mm of rain this year. Our major dam (which was built as flood mitigation after similar floods in 1974) was almost full, so the authorities had no choice but to release as much as they could - or risk the dam overflowing and failing (that would be VERY bad.)

The day before, a super storm hit the city of Toowoomba - about 120km from brisbane, but on the top of the range. 6 inches of rain fell in under an hour. The result - well check out the videos posted above.
    All this water raced though the Lockyer Valley and met up with the water being released from Wivenhoe dam. On top of this, there are larger than usual tides. The sum of all this is one of the worst natural disasters in the countries history.

Shari - this one is for you - http://www.novafm.com.au/nova969/pho...ig-pool_245292

One thing to note - what we are experiencing is not like Toowoomba which was a flash flood. We are lucky that we knew all the water was coming, it would be a gradual rise and we had time to prepare..... but so far it has been devastating.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers.
    BtB

Bigmikesm
    Bigmikesm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1690

A horrible tragedy.

AMBlai01
    SBR Resident Drunk
    AMBlai01's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2152

Unreal...thoughts and prayers are with everyone out there. I hope it looks worse than it is....Only things to do at this point.

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Thank you so much for posting in here Bruce!! I was 99.9% sure you were one of our Brissie guys but I didn't want to PM you or say anything until I saw you post first. You have no idea how happy I am to hear you're ok!

And you're right - even though the end results from releasing water from the dam are going to be horrendous, it's nothing compared to what would have happened if it had burst or overflowed. Still though, I can't believe it's happening to you guys up there. I feel sick seeing everything on tv and from talking to friends both from the Toowoomba area and a few of the other little towns around the Lockyer Valley. Watching a few of them still plead with their family members on FB to at least make contact is heartbreaking.

Looking at that photo of Pat Rafter Arena makes it almost impossible to believe we were betting on tennis matches there a few days ago. And now we're on flood watch here in Melbourne because our catchments are already too full and we still have rain forecast every day until at least Saturday. So not what this country needs after still trying to recover from Black Saturday.

Thank you again for letting us know you're ok. I'll be watching when it peaks in a few hours and will be crossing my fingers that some kind of miracle happens and the damage is much less than is expected. All the best Bruce and pop in my tennis thread when everything is calmed down somewhat so I know it's all still ok on your end.

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1127

Wow. Terrible. Reminds me of the New Orleans floods.

jjgold

I think way worse than New Orleans
    Anyway I winder when it is going to stop

jjgold

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12161502

I have never seen floods like this, watch this video

sad

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party
    stealthyburrito's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11989

mother nature can be a real bitch sometimes.

be safe posters from down under.

sounds like it will be a long rebuilding project.

sickler
    Facade 101
    sickler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2983

Stay safe, Aussies....especially my favourite Sheila and her little one.

brucethebear
    brucethebear's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12161502

I have never seen floods like this, watch this video

sad
    Mate, that was the flash flooding from Toowoomba. It has been likened to an inland Tsunami.

In Brisbane, we have had some better news. The first high tide flood peak today was almost 1m lower than predicted. Don't get me wrong, complete suburbs are under water, but it could have been even worse.

Thanks also for your post Shari. I have been lurking in your tennis thread.
    Looks like the crappy weather has headed your way
    Stay safe.

Btb

RollPlayer
    RollPlayer's Avatar Become A Pro!

This is terrible... I remember reading about big rain storms during the tennis tourney last week but I didn't know it came to this. Hopefully everyone is okay

Gee
    Gee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2327

It is a real disaster. Black Friday was almost 2 years ago and it seems like yesterday. I'm over West, but know people in affected areas. They are safe thank god. I hope all posters and everyone elses friends and family are too. This is the type of thing that Australians of my generation (early 80s child) just aren't used to. Ash Wednesday? Cyclone Tracy? They were a long, long time ago.

It will be intereesting to see how they/we bounceback from this. I don't know about the insurance situation, but I'd imagine it would be fairly poor with many not having the type of insurance necessary or insurance companies folding (or making only small payouts that take long periods of time).

As for JJs last video, I hadn't seen that - its crazy. Pretty sure the narrators (at least 2 of them) are Kiwis.