SBR_John
    Wisky
    SBR_John's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42225

Forum suggestions? Increased traffic is a week away

What can we do to make the forum better? The football guys all come back next week so it will be a LOT busier. Or do you like it the way it is???

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

I 99.9% like it the way it is now but for the sake of being nitpicky (and since you asked )

1. Something needs to be done with points loans. Too many threads are being derailed by posters hunting down other ones to payback loans as it is right now during the slow period. If I remember correctly, there was talk of setting up some sort of neutral body to monitor this. Maybe that could happen?

2. Maybe a refresher of forum no-no's so everyone is somewhat on the same page? I realise infractions and/or bannings ultimately are at any particular Mod's discretion, but a timely reminder of what will definitely get you 86'ed posted somewhere highly visible probably wouldn't hurt as those issues seem to pop up every 2nd day either in a thread or through other channels.

That's all I can think of.

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Get raid of the posters that are posting betting 1,000,000, the 401k, the farm or whatever. These posters are making a joke out of the forums.

SBR_John
    Wisky

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    I 99.9% like it the way it is now but for the sake of being nitpicky (and since you asked )

1. Something needs to be done with points loans. Too many threads are being derailed by posters hunting down other ones to payback loans as it is right now during the slow period. If I remember correctly, there was talk of setting up some sort of neutral body to monitor this. Maybe that could happen?

2. Maybe a refresher of forum no-no's so everyone is somewhat on the same page? I realise infractions and/or bannings ultimately are at any particular Mod's discretion, but a timely reminder of what will definitely get you 86'ed posted somewhere highly visible probably wouldn't hurt as those issues seem to pop up every 2nd day either in a thread or through other channels.

That's all I can think of.
    Excellent. I'll fire that discussion thread up and remind everyone of SBR's policy on loan sharking and collecting.

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!
    Ace_of_Spades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

There are some people that post irrelevant threads in the players talk that has no substance to help or offer something to the forum and unfortunately i have no clue how one would stop that from happening. Seriously, people like Zboiz that posts a thread about how i love the Braves and they are winning in the top of the 7th is just a waste of everyone's time.

Meestermike
    Meestermike's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3908

Hey John... I put a note down in site suggestions but received no reply. The scoreboard links do not work in SBRodds for CFL and\or NFL. You will get a screen showing all preseason and weekly numbers but the links to these are non-responsive. Thanks to you and all the SBR management and crew; I am absolutely 99.9% very happy and satisfied with the almost endless amount of quality info and things to do here at SBR
    Points Awarded:

SBR_John gave Meestermike 5 SBR Point(s) for this post.

MadCapper
    MadCapper's Avatar Become A Pro!

It can get busier than this?

SBR_John
    Wisky

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_of_Spades View Post
    There are some people that post irrelevant threads in the players talk that has no substance to help or offer something to the forum and unfortunately i have no clue how one would stop that from happening. Seriously, people like Zboiz that posts a thread about how i love the Braves and they are winning in the top of the 7th is just a waste of everyone's time.
    I know,,,~sigh~ and great threads end up on page 3 from the afternoon to after dinner...and they are hard to find. Thats a tough one....

JerseyShop101
    JerseyShop101's Avatar Become A Pro!

SBRJohn,

Not that we would need it here from the top books, but looking at it from a newbies perspective or someone who might want to try a lesser than "A" book. I know the dispute resolution here is outstanding, but is there any chance of SBR offering a guarantee or some type of insurance for players that sign up for books here in the forum, that if a book fails to pay its players, that SBR would pay the players some type of compensation?

hawk 5
    Update your status
    hawk 5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8779

You need to find a way for me to win more often. This would be a much better place if you could get me to win more. Thank you.

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Quote Originally Posted by SBR_John View Post
    I know,,,~sigh~ and great threads end up on page 3 from the afternoon to after dinner...and they are hard to find. Thats a tough one....

Posters like cappinpicks, lolmcwinsy and the others that just post the bullcrap, and continue to recieve infractions and continue to have their threads closed, ban them to the private zone for good. It is not that hard to get raid of them. That would help to keep the good threads one the first page.

SBR_John
    Wisky

Quote Originally Posted by doublej95 View Post
    Posters like cappinpicks, lolmcwinsy and the others that just post the bullcrap, and continue to recieve infractions and continue to have their threads closed, ban them to the private zone for good. It is not that hard to get raid of them. That would help to keep the good threads one the first page.
    I'm not familiar with those guys but yes, in general I agree we need to tighten up slightly. In the offseason guys get a little bored and some weird stuff crawls onto the forum which is cool. But now I think the mods need to become a little more involved in dealing with the non sense.

mrmarket
    Update your status
    mrmarket's Avatar Become A Pro!

Just make it so that a person who creates a thread has the ability to ban people from posting/viewing in it. If that is too much power make a function where when a certain amount of people nominate a person to be banned from a thread they are (like the nominate a post button). It will cut down on the amount of stalking and the people who want to run their "pro capping" threads can choose to ban the riff raff if they so desire. It will also cut down on the amount of squabbling because people actually have consequences from posting.

You could also institute a "Isolation Thread" ability with mods. If there is a poster that is creating havoc while not doing anything against the rules the moderator has the ability to put the poster in their own "Isolation Thread" whereby they are only able to post in that one thread for a predetermined length of time (3 hours, 12 hours, 1 day etc.) It is not as harsh as a banning but it does the job.
    Last edited by mrmarket; 08-22-10 at 08:58 AM.

SBR_John
    Wisky

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyShop101 View Post
    SBRJohn,

Not that we would need it here from the top books, but looking at it from a newbies perspective or someone who might want to try a lesser than "A" book. I know the dispute resolution here is outstanding, but is there any chance of SBR offering a guarantee or some type of insurance for players that sign up for books here in the forum, that if a book fails to pay its players, that SBR would pay the players some type of compensation?
    We have looked at that several times over the years. Never found a workable plan. There is international law, Costa Rican law and other factors that keep anything like this on the ground.

mrmarket
    Update your status

Something needs to be done about loans as well. It's all well and good to have a hands off policy but when all this occurs within your own environment you need to exert some form of control or it will spill into everything. I know it's been beaten to death but there should be some arbitration panel nominated on a bi-monthly basis to deal with disputes, non-payment etc. They should be given the power to garnish daily points/contest point wins etc. Their ruling should also be final. The reason you need to rotate the members has to do with corruption. It's funny of course considering the circumstances but as long as their is some monetary value attributed to something corruption will happen. The shortened length of time diminishes its effect.

obamaismyuncle
    obamaismyuncle's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by mrmarket View Post
    Something needs to be done about loans as well. It's all well and good to have a hands off policy but when all this occurs within your own environment you need to exert some form of control or it will spill into everything. I know it's been beaten to death but there should be some arbitration panel nominated on a bi-monthly basis to deal with disputes, non-payment etc. They should be given the power to garnish daily points/contest point wins etc. Their ruling should also be final. The reason you need to rotate the members has to do with corruption. It's funny of course considering the circumstances but as long as their is some monetary value attributed to something corruption will happen. The shortened length of time diminishes its effect.

Or maybe it would be easier if people just did not loan points..

mrmarket
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by obamaismyuncle View Post
    Or maybe it would be easier if people just did not loan points..
    Unless banning of points loans is implemented it will never happen. This is a forum full of broke degens for the most part and greedy sobs. Loaning will always happen and it is naive to assume otherwise.

obamaismyuncle
    obamaismyuncle's Avatar Become A Pro!

Unless banning of points loans is implemented it will never happen. This is a forum full of broke degens for the most part and greedy sobs. Loaning will always happen and it is naive to assume otherwise.

I agree..

I don't think it's the job of SBR to monitor these point loans though, I mean where do they draw the line?

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

SBR is a monster now
    It it is hard to totally control it anymore.

Over managing is not good

I know a guy here booking numbers to the tune of $800 a week and going unnoticed.

I like the wild west type forum

The forum is now to busy to control, I love it.

It's all about fukkin numbers.

mdemps9190
    mdemps9190's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7237

Just make it so that a person who creates a thread has the ability to ban people from posting/viewing in it. If that is too much power make a function where when a certain amount of people nominate a person to be banned from a thread they are (like the nominate a post button). It will cut down on the amount of stalking and the people who want to run their "pro capping" threads can choose to ban the riff raff if they so desire. It will also cut down on the amount of squabbling because people actually have consequences from posting. You could also institute a "Isolation Thread" ability with mods. If there is a poster that is creating havoc while not doing anything against the rules the moderator has the ability to put the poster in their own "Isolation Thread" whereby they are only able to post in that one thread for a predetermined length of time (3 hours, 12 hours, 1 day etc.) It is not as harsh as a banning but it does the job.
    I really like this idea of people not being able to post in threads created

Domestic
    Domestic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1756

Uncensor swear words but leave racist words censored.
    Apart from that everything is Great.

ProfaneReality
    ProfaneReality's Avatar Become A Pro!

ban tonyyy and his IP

mrmarket
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by obamaismyuncle View Post
    I agree..

I don't think it's the job of SBR to monitor these point loans though, I mean where do they draw the line?
    SBR takes a hands off approach. That's fine but don't expect lenders to stay in the points forum when their stiff is posting elsewhere. SBR can preach not to but conflict will always spillover.

So on the one hand they won't ban points loans but don't like it when the conflict spills over into other parts of the forum. It just doesn't make sense. Either ban the points loans altogether or introduce some form of regulation. Otherwise nothing will change.

shari91

SBR takes a hands off approach. That's fine but don't expect lenders to stay in the points forum when their stiff is posting elsewhere. SBR can preach not to but conflict will always spillover. So on the one hand they won't ban points loans but don't like it when the conflict spills over into other parts of the forum. It just doesn't make sense. Either ban the points loans altogether or introduce some form of regulation. Otherwise nothing will change.
    This is what I referred to in my post and if I understood John correctly, they're going to readdress having a neutral body deal with point disputes as was suggested a month or so ago when John created the SBR suggestion thread. I must say I'm thankful, and very impressed, that right after he responded to me he posted a new thread addressing points loans, stiffs and forum bookies - the very issues I made mention of. It's a start and I trust that they'll look into doing something more to get this nonsense under control.

mdemps9190
    mdemps9190's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7237

I thought we had SBREscrow...I think they just need to make that more available and known, as long as they are willing to deal with it.

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by mdemps9190 View Post
    I thought we had SBREscrow...I think they just need to make that more available and known, as long as they are willing to deal with it.
    I was under the impression that the Escrow thread was more for bets between posters but I could be mistaken.

paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7051

Make Shari an Ambassador of SBR, she'll put all these clowns in check quicker than Big Ben on a chick in the bathroom

MadCapper

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    SBR is a monster now

I know a guy here booking numbers to the tune of $800 a week and going unnoticed.

betplom
    maniac
    betplom's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by SBR_John View Post
    What can we do to make the forum better? The football guys all come back next week so it will be a LOT busier. Or do you like it the way it is???
    Nigg.a please!

Bring back BigBoyDan and get rid of Reload.

Easy.

Thanks pal.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

1. Bring back the nominating button. What were you thinking when you removed it?

2. Get rid of Bookmaker lines for soccer in the points book. No one bets soccer on Bookmaker.

3. Hire a spelling consultant, a secretary and a butler for JJGOLD so he can focus on posting quality. His posts lack quality lately.

4. Give Lou a raise. He is carrying this place by himself. Hire an assistant for him and fire any employee that plays solitaire during work hours.

5. Get rid of the Segway in the SBR Store. No one is going to order that useless piece of crap that is not street legal. Instead offer a bicycle, scooter or a motorcycle.

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Put the "Non-Pro's" on a different server....why do we need to mingle with the commoners?

MadCapper

Quote Originally Posted by betplom View Post
    Nigg.a please!

Bring back BigBoyDan and get rid of Reload.

Easy.

Thanks pal.
    Ouch! Why?

PRC
    PRC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 49

double points again

PRC
    PRC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 49

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    SBR is a monster now

lol good post coach.

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

In all seriousness...how about limiting the points program to those over between 500 -1000 posts, which might limit the moochers and people just hanging around for a freebie? There are people logging on just for the points and angling to try and get something for nothing
    Eliminate Points loans all together
    Only allow the screename to use the points...no transfers

1234 Last