Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 494

NBA Might Be Leaving ESPN/ABC And TNT

The National Basketball Association’s exclusive media rights negotiating window with current partners Disney
    and Warner Bros. Discovery
    is likely to expire Monday without a new deal, according to people familiar with the matter.

Beginning next week, the NBA will be able to work on agreements for new partners to show packages of games. Amazon, Apple, YouTube TV, Comcast, NBCUniversal/Peacock and Netflix have all had preliminary conversations with the league expressing potential interest, CNBC reported last year. The exclusive negotiating window with the league’s incumbent partners officially ends Monday.

The NBA would like to bring in at least one new partner to serve as a flagship streamer, CNBC reported last year. The league wants a “robust” streaming partner that will use marketing and reach to make the games a priority on their platform, CNBC reported.

The NBA is looking to double the $24 billion it generated from its previous media rights deal with Disney and Warner Bros. Discovery by adding new partners and charging more for rights, CNBC reported last year. In 2014, during the NBA’s last negotiation, the league renewed its rights with Disney and Time Warner about five months before the end of its exclusive negotiating window. The NBA also doubled the price for its rights in that deal from its previous agreement.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32400

Expect all major sports to be streamed within the next five years, or less.

Headsterx
    Headsterx's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2221

I hope Peacock/NBC gets it and then bring back “NBA on NBC!”

mjsuax13
    mjsuax13's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 929

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    Agreed with this guy. It’s hard to make up that number paid in ad sales. Especially with digital ruling the ad space. Still some opportunity on marquee games but the average NBA game doesn’t move the needle for business and many times you are asked to buy at minimum spends that don’t make sense.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: DonnieBrasco23

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Headsterx View Post
    I hope Peacock/NBC gets it and then bring back “NBA on NBC!”
    My daddy used to tell me the NBA playoffs used to be aired on tape delay after the 11:00 pm news back in the 60's.

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8455

Headsterx

Quote Originally Posted by mjsuax13 View Post
    Agreed with this guy. It’s hard to make up that number paid in ad sales. Especially with digital ruling the ad space. Still some opportunity on marquee games but the average NBA game doesn’t move the needle for business and many times you are asked to buy at minimum spends that don’t make sense.
    This is true that it’s way overpriced, but one of these streamer will overpaid it. There’s not much difference among the many streamers and getting content is at an all-time high. One of these tech idiots will way overpaid it.

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3448

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    My daddy used to tell me the NBA playoffs used to be aired on tape delay after the 11:00 pm news back in the 60's.
    before Bird, Magic, and Jordan reinvented the association. imo.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

I stayed up late for Game 6 of the 1980 NBA Finals when Magic had his big game to win the title. Game was on tape delay at 10:30pm CST. I remember the sports guy on the 10:00 local news asking you to turn around if you didn't want to see the score flashed on the screen before they played the game.

Easy-Rider 66

I stayed up late for Game 6 of the 1980 NBA Finals when Magic had his big game to win the title. Game was on tape delay at 10:30pm CST. I remember the sports guy on the 10:00 local news asking you to turn around if you didn't want to see the score flashed on the screen before they played the game.
    soon after I assume it was not played on tape delay?

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Easy-Rider 66 View Post
    before Bird, Magic, and Jordan reinvented the association. imo.
    The league started to pivot when people took notice of what Dr. J was doing.
    Then Magic and Bird came along and by now you know the rest of the story.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

soon after I assume it was not played on tape delay?
    I believe 1981 was the last year that the Finals were on tape delay. I saw those live though because we lived in Houston and the Finals were Celtics-Rockets. The represented cities got to see the games live.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

mjsuax13

This is true that it’s way overpriced, but one of these streamer will overpaid it. There’s not much difference among the many streamers and getting content is at an all-time high. One of these tech idiots will way overpaid it.
    Absolutely. Amazon and Google fall over themselves for this shit. The NBA doesn’t care where their product is or even the presentation of it. They just want the check.

Easy-Rider 66

I believe 1981 was the last year that the Finals were on tape delay. I saw those live though because we lived in Houston and the Finals were Celtics-Rockets. The represented cities got to see the games live.
    OK thx for the info.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7738

Quote Originally Posted by mjsuax13 View Post
    Absolutely. Amazon and Google fall over themselves for this shit. The NBA doesn’t care where their product is or even the presentation of it. They just want the check.
    You know who loves the NBA? The migrants from the country below you guys. That young generation loves it.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47585

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    You know who loves the NBA? The migrants from the country below you guys. That young generation loves it.
    Yeah the young generation aligns with the woke and entitled...

Many old NBA fans(myself included) have been turned off for various reasons the past decade or so.

Easy-Rider 66

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    Yeah the young generation aligns with the woke and entitled...

Many old NBA fans(myself included) have been turned off for various reasons the past decade or so.
    funny thing is peavy the generation or two before you probably thought the same about your peoples back in the day. (when you were young)

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47585

funny thing is peavy the generation or two before you probably thought the same about your peoples back in the day. (when you were young)
    Most older generations are disillusioned with the younger generations for one reason or another.

You usually hear old timers waxing poetic about "the good ol' days"...

Easy-Rider 66

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    Most older generations are disillusioned with the younger generations for one reason or another.

You usually hear old timers waxing poetic about "the good ol' days"...
    agreed

mjsuax13

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Free ticket, hot dog and corona with proof of illegal status.
    Points Awarded:

lakerboy gave mjsuax13 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11961

Who cares? Does suck for people that has to switch providers and or pay more to see this garbage.

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19629

I wish the NBA would leave the country.

Enkhbat
    Enkhbat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 26355

Well the ESPN is supposedly broke, so no way they are paying for it. Even at current prices they are too expensive but they want more? lol I hope no one makes them an offer.

Headsterx

I ain't gonna lie though, it would be cool if Netflix got them and then place the Jerry West's silhouette over the Netflix colorful logo. That would be cool. And then during the 2025 you can have doubleheader of NBA on Monday followed by WWE Raw!

Enkhbat
    Enkhbat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 26355

WWE Raw is complete garbage now though, nothing like when I was a teenager during the attitude era. We had so good back in the day with Stone Cold, The Rock, Triple H, Undertaker, Kane, Kurt Angle, Edge and Christian, Hardys, Dudleys, Rikishi, Jericho, Benoit etc, NBA product was good too, not it is too soft.

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 191

Disney is a good place for such a clown league
    Points Awarded:

JAKEPEAVY21 gave unde0087 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Headsterx

Quote Originally Posted by Enkhbat View Post
    WWE Raw is complete garbage now though, nothing like when I was a teenager during the attitude era. We had so good back in the day with Stone Cold, The Rock, Triple H, Undertaker, Kane, Kurt Angle, Edge and Christian, Hardys, Dudleys, Rikishi, Jericho, Benoit etc, NBA product was good too, not it is too soft.
    I would completely agree with this a year ago but it has been getting better now that Vinny is gone. WM40 as predictable as you can get was still one of the best WM in a long time.

Art Vandelay
    Corona on St. Pats... WTF!
    Art Vandelay's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 57589

Actually it was the 1980s believe it or not! The regular season NBA is garbage with all the "load management" and bad teams. The playoffs are somewhat watchable. The Stanley Cup playoffs are the best product!

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Enkhbat View Post
    I try to watch as much AEW as I can, correct, WWE is soft as Grandma Plopwell's cheesecake.

Covering the #
    Covering the #'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4205

These TV contracts make all the major sports impossible to get it all in one service. You would think that these new ways would all be some sort of a package as a PPV option on all levels of cable and satellite. Unfortunately it's not the case, and I can't for the life of me understand how the advertising industry would want any part of that.

Headsterx

Quote Originally Posted by Covering the # View Post
    These TV contracts make all the major sports impossible to get it all in one service. You would think that these new ways would all be some sort of a package as a PPV option on all levels of cable and satellite. Unfortunately it's not the case, and I can't for the life of me understand how the advertising industry would want any part of that.
    Well, if advertisers won’t cover the cost, they have no problems in having the consumers cover it.

Covering the #
    Covering the #'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4205

Well, if advertisers won’t cover the cost, they have no problems in having the consumers cover it.
    I highly doubt that's what happening. Many are not bothering with the extra fees to watch a couple games here and there. Plus there's allegedly illegal streaming of games for free. I just don't have any interest to pay extra or go out of my way to see a game(s) that we as a public keep getting taxed over and over.

Headsterx

Quote Originally Posted by Covering the # View Post
    I highly doubt that's what happening. Many are not bothering with the extra fees to watch a couple games here and there. Plus there's allegedly illegal streaming of games for free. I just don't have any interest to pay extra or go out of my way to see a game(s) that we as a public keep getting taxed over and over.
    Wait, you haven’t heard of Netflix raising prices and changing its different plans. Paramount+ went higher. Prices are gojj in up and that’s WITHOUT new content.

12 Last