Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Why does Herman edwards have a paycheck?

?????????

Enkhbat
    Enkhbat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 26391

What do you mean? Maybe because he works?

pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

ESPN loves him. Another know it all who knows things better than people actually coaching.

Former NFL and college football head coach Herm Edwards is rejoining ESPN as a football analyst. Edwards, whose coaching career spans more than 30 years, spent nearly a decade at ESPN from 2009-17. In his new role, Edwards will contribute to ESPN’s NFL and college football coverage across a variety of shows and platforms.
    Edwards will appear on editions of SportsCenter, Get Up, NFL Live, ESPN Radio shows and more as part of his new multi-year agreement. He will make his debut live from ESPN’s Bristol, Conn., studios on Friday, Nov. 4, on SportsCenter.
    “When Herm left for Arizona State, we said we’d keep a seat open for him. After all he did for us on the air and behind the scenes, he deserved that. We are thrilled to welcome him back,” said Seth Markman, ESPN vice president, production. “There is no better teammate, and we can’t wait for him to bring his unique coaching perspective and passion for the game back for our viewers.”
    Added Edwards: “I’m excited to work at a place that, in my opinion, is the greatest information provider in sports, and to have a role that allows me to give back to fans. I look forward to returning to ESPN where I spent so many wonderful years and established so many incredible friendships.”
    Previously at ESPN, Edwards contributed to year-round NFL coverage, including the Super Bowl, Pro Bowl and other key events. He appeared regularly on NFL Live, SportsCenter and more, while working a variety of other assignments – from calling college football games to participating in special projects.
    Edwards left ESPN in December 2017 when he was named the head coach at Arizona State. In four-plus seasons, he guided the Sun Devils to a 26-20 record and three bowl appearances.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32453

If Edwards doesn't scoop up Csonka's fumble he'd be coaching a JV HS team somewhere right about now.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 100

you play to win the game

trobin31
    trobin31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10470

I think he’s looked at as role model, mentor, god fearing man, blah blah blah….

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30722

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    ?????????
    Welcome back, Kid.

pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

Renegades
    Renegades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22206

ESPN staff is 80% former players/coaches and then they sprinkle in a hot girl for eye candy.

Poor kids paying 200k for a communications degree have no chance. You end up at some local news channel or local sports network making 40k a year.
    Points Awarded:

mjsuax13 gave Renegades 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9558

Quote Originally Posted by Renegades View Post
    ESPN staff is 80% former players/coaches and then they sprinkle in a hot girl for eye candy.

Poor kids paying 200k for a communications degree have no chance. You end up at some local news channel or local sports network making 40k a year.
    Yup, and even the talented ones have little chance with Ian Eagle and Collingsworth's kids going from college straight to NFL and college network broadcasts. Absurd.

The old Ralph Kramden line: "It's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know. If you don't have connections, you get nowhere."

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32453

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew View Post
    Yup, and even the talented ones have little chance with Ian Eagle and Collingsworth's kids going from college straight to NFL and college network broadcasts. Absurd.

The old Ralph Kramden line: "It's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know. If you don't have connections, you get nowhere."
    I did a little research before posting this, some broadcasters I already knew a bit about their backgrounds, some I did not.

There are certain schools/universities etc. that carry a certain amount of clout.

For instance, if you graduate from MIT, or Stanford, chances are high, and better than most you're going to have a successful career in IT, or similar. Black, Asian, or White, that diploma supersedes any race, or religion.

If you graduate from Syracuse, or Hofstra for instance majoring/focusing (when I was in college the term was 'major', nowadays I think the term is focus, whatever) in broadcasting/communications, chances are you're going to land a high paying broadcasting gig. Especially Syracuse, across the board recognized as the best, bar none, broadcasting/communications university there is.

(I can hear the groaning now, "Oh Christ, Nasher's going to get long winded again")
    I grew up in the metro tri-state are of NYC/NJ/Ct. and almost daily listened to WFAN with Mike and the Mad Dog.
    Since twelve my career interests were always, math, computers, sports, music, and communications. A part of me wanted to do sports broadcasting while playing sports, the other being a math geek.

Which is my lead in to Ian Eagle who I know a lot about from Mike and the Mad Dog show.
    Marc (Moose) Malusis was Mike and the Mad Dog's board op/producer, behind the scenes brains of that show, got that gig off of his Syracuse communications degree, and now Moose is top dog at NYC WPIX channel 11 sports.

Nobody gave Ian Eagle a leg up.
    He graduated from Syracuse, with honors yet, first in his class in communications.
    If you graduate head of you class, top dog at MIT, you're going to make six figures plus at places like NORAD, Syracuse, you can pretty much write your ticket in network broadcasting.

While Malusis was running the show for Mike and the Mad Dog, the countries most listened to sports show, Ian Eagle was doing 20/20 updates while wrapping up his honors degree, few years later was one of the top three play by play sports broadcaster for CBS, TNT, and TBS, he put in almost 20 years of the school and grunt work to get there, nobody gifted him.

His kid Noah, he's doing Clipper radio, having Ian as a dad helped matters I'm sure, but he put in the same exact grunt work as his father did, graduating with a communications degree from Syracuse.
    Amazing how much clout that school has.

Ian's father, died when he was a kid, he got no family help to get started, I'm sure junior had some of Ian's help, but he did the work to get there.

Collinsworth had 17 sports Emmy's, if you remember he was one of Madden's side kicks, and he begged NBC not to hire his kid.
    https://www.sportscasting.com/cris-c...his-co-worker/

Of the top twenty top paid broadcasters, and this is last years data, only four played the game, three in the top ten, Romo, Aikman, and Strahan, and Golic is in the top twenty.

Aikman and Buck (imo) suck, OK, Aikman is knowledgeable, he belongs in an analyst role, I'll give him that, Buck only has a gig because his father was an all time great, and the Buck family has major St. Louis clout with Budweiser/Anheiser-Bush, I'll concede Buck only has a major ESPN gig off of connections.

Love him or hate him, read Stephen A. Smith's bio, he worked all the way up to where he's at today. You have to give him his just due for that. Nobody gave him anything.

Tirico earned everything he got too, yep, another Syracuse grad.
    I can't stomach Sean McDonough, his father was the great Will McDonough (Boston Globe) but he's another honor's grad from Syracuse.

And the GOAT of them all (imo) one of the most decorated Syracuse grad of the all, Bob Costas.

Some had a lot of help getting to where they are, most did not.

TTA_President
    TTA_President's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

I find it ironic... Jeff Saturday leaves espn because he was hired as a head coach. Herm Edwards was the replacement. Why did herm Edwards leave? He was hired as a head coach at Arizona st. Just my 2 cents.

manny24
    pay Bobby
    manny24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 649

Quote Originally Posted by Renegades View Post

the plus + has so many college soccer lacrosse field hockey and volleyball games lot of opportunities there

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Collinsworth crew has really no business at all commentating. His kid is atrocious calling Notre Dame games. The reacharounds they did at NBC.... humiliating.

If you SMILE 100% with your PLASTIC FACE and act FAKE you get a job on Sunday Night Football. It's comical.

Tirico overtries.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew View Post

you cannot beat them period

All politics