JohnGalt2341
    46 and 2 are just ahead of me
    JohnGalt2341's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3703

Hexversi Puzzle #3. Multiple Choice. 1st correct guess Wins 50 Points.

1 guess per person. If you guess a 2nd time, your 2nd guess will be ignored. First correct guess Wins 50 Points.

Hexversi has the exact same rules as Othello except the board is shaped like a hexagon and there is a dead spot in the middle of the board as seen in the image below. You cannot play through the dead spot, you must play around it. If you do not know how to play Othello, I recommend that you watch the minute and a half video below, and you will know ALL of the rules.

What's the best move for Green?(feel free to take a guess)

I'm going to add a 100 Point bonus for the first 10 players that post a screenshot of themselves beating this AI in the link below. Take the screenshot before your last move of the game so the AI doesn't block the image.

http://meta-site.net/hexlo/?fbclid=I...xXgSGPufKWHqTE

I'll keep this going until 10 people beat it. You can only win this ONCE. AND, you can't use someone else's screenshot. In other words.... it has to be a unique configuration. This is NOT a strong AI. It's VERY aggressive. Aggressive play is EASY to beat once you know how to deal with it.

Here's a hint to how games are Won. Games are not won by gobbling up as many pieces as you can on every single move. This is a TERRIBLE strategy. Games are won by trying to run your opponent out of Options/Moves entirely, and forcing them to give you a corner. Whomever has more Options/Moves, is ALMOST ALWAYS winning the game, regardless of what the score says. Once you run your opponent out of options(good ones at least), then you get to dictate the direction of the game, and getting your piece count up high and winning the game after that is easy. Good luck!

blankoblanco
    blankoblanco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29958

I feel like these recent puzzles are all using pretty much the exact same principle, no? Maybe that's your intent. And I know the answer, but I'd like to see someone else get it, so I'll abstain

Ian
    Tank Man Lives
    Ian's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33450

J6

Thanks for the contest, Galt.
    Points Awarded:

JohnGalt2341 gave Ian 50 Betpoint(s) for this post.

JohnGalt2341

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    J6

Thanks for the contest, Galt.
    We have a Winner!

j6 leaves Purple with exactly 2 options as seen in the image below. Purple must play either i7 or j7, no matter which move Purple plays, Green can play k6 next. Corners are good to have, because they are yours to keep. Once Green takes the NE corner. Green can simply start working FROM the NE corner by playing k2 next and then start working along that Northern side as well. It's an easy Win for Green from here on out as Green can now dictate the direction of the game and choose what moves to give to Purple.

This image below is from several moves later in the same game. And as you can see, Purple still has exactly 1 option/move. Green has 9(Green has a move at c8 as well). I think this is where Purple figured out that they were going to lose, and then they resigned. But Purple actually lost the game in the image above when they ran out of moves and sacrificed the corner.

Here's a link to the game starting from the original position.

https://www.itsyourturn.com/pp?gm&g=...1447&t=1&gn=97

JohnGalt2341

Quote Originally Posted by blankoblanco View Post
    I feel like these recent puzzles are all using pretty much the exact same principle, no? Maybe that's your intent. And I know the answer, but I'd like to see someone else get it, so I'll abstain
    Yeah, I was thinking of doing a handful of similar ones like this and then if more people start playing I will start mixing it up a bit more.

Ian
    Tank Man Lives
    Ian's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33450

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt2341 View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking of doing a handful of similar ones like this and then if more people start playing I will start mixing it up a bit more.
    Thanks for the points!

I started analyzing the positions counter clockwise from the top right, and realized I was staring at the correct move as soon as I started.

When I played in your tournaments a lot of my losses came from positions similar to purple's. I thought I was manipulating my opponent into giving me favorable real estate, and then I'd "force" him into a "bad" position and not be able to get the corner. If I ever have the free time to play another tournament I'll have to be more careful.