JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11913

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    Was he a good manager?? I don't remember any playoff appearances from The Reds while he was managing.
    https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...on/3982711002/

Roger T. Bannon
    Roger T. Bannon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11760

Was he a good manager?? I don't remember any playoff appearances from The Reds while he was managing.
    Yes, he was incredibly good. I would say he was not only good, he was great.

The team he took over was BAD. No talent at all. Last place.

The first thing he did was put himself in the lineup hitting leadoff. But damn, if it did not work. They started winning. The next year they won 89 games. They did not make the playoffs but you have to consider that they were the worst organization in baseball and had a tightwad owner. What he did was incredible. He was one of the rare baseball managers that actually had the ability to make players better.

I thought hiring him was a joke. And it was just a publicity stunt. But it worked. He was excellent.

hostile takeover
    hostile takeover's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5372

Somebody needs to post his picks

Roger T. Bannon

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    I always wondered if Petey bet big on his own games when he was playing for the REDS and maybe even tried to determine the outcome himself. The fix could have been in with a few regular season games for sure during his playing career..
    I don't think he fixed any games. The guy had a .400 OBP and played his ass off and managed the damn game from first base. Pete is the kind of guy that might get paid to dump a game but then go out and win it because he can't lose. I don't think he was capable of throwing a game.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Petey Mr Baseball

Should name game after him actually

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

He already put on his name on a game, Gold...

Roger T. Bannon

I'm looking back at that Reds team and still wondering how they won 89 games. First, Pete put himself at first and had a .400 OBP and played a good first base. So he was a great leadoff man and improved the defense.

Then he took Nick Esasky and moved him from third to LF and he hit 21 HRs. When he wasn't playing Esasky, he played Gary Redus in LF and Redus murdered LHP pitching and played a great LF.

Then he traded for Buddy Bell who was probably the best defensive 3B that ever lived but was washed up. But even washed up, Bell was still the best defensive 3B that ever lived. He apparently was platooning Bell with Wayne Krenchecki who hit a little bit and played a solid third.

He had a washed up Dave Parker and Parker went bananas and was an All-Star again after sucking.

He had Mario Soto who was probably the best RHP in the NL and then got lucky and Tom Browning won 20 games from nowhere. He also had John Franco in the bullpen.

He mixed his starters well and was a master of using his bullpen. He also got a lot of mileage out of Bo Diaz as a platoon C and used his bench extremely well.

The guy was a hell of a manager. Not that surprisingly that a guy that clever could win at betting baseball, especially in the 1980s when you could just bet underdogs and win.

hehfest
    Tom, What do I do now?
    hehfest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4190

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyTheGoat View Post
    It's nice to see that Pete made it his life's work to see that he separated himself from gambling.
    Few ever quit gambling once they get the right taste (a little win streak going)...they will run their mouths and say they're done. Then, right when they thought they were out...it pulls them right back in.

I will say when Pete was on the Fox baseball show pre and post game; dude is dam funny. I would lmfao at most things he said. I was really pissed when he got booted.

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24911

Quote Originally Posted by hehfest View Post
    Few ever quit gambling once they get the right taste (a little win streak going)...they will run their mouths and say they're done. Then, right when they thought they were out...it pulls them right back in.

I will say when Pete was on the Fox baseball show pre and post game; dude is dam funny. I would lmfao at most things he said. I was really pissed when he got booted.
    I did it, Heh, and I don't regret it. Doing it on my terms.

Roger T. Bannon

Here is the best example of how good a manager Pete Rose was. On this 1985 team, Pete played 5 guys at catcher. None of these five guys were guys that anybody wanted. I pride myself on my knowledge of 1980s baseball and I did not even remember Dave Van Gorder or Alan Knicely. He also played Bo Diaz, Dan Bilardello and somebody else I am not even going to look up again. All of these guys were waiver wires guys. Some of them must have gotten hurt or Pete just got tired of them and tried somebody else.

But he somehow managed to get 12 HRs and 70 RBIs from these guys which is basically league average.

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24911

RogerT...remember when Eric Davis robbed Jack Clark of a Home Run over CF-wall on Back-to-Back nights?

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

everyone a loser that gambles

He would not be selling picks if dead broke

dollarbill
    dollarbill's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1290

can he give the reds out as a pick? I am

Roger T. Bannon

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyTheGoat View Post
    RogerT...remember when Eric Davis robbed Jack Clark of a Home Run over CF-wall on Back-to-Back nights?
    Not specifically but I do remember some of those catches. He was an amazing talent. The Reds had a good run of talent with Rose with Larkin, Sabo, Davis, Householder, Dibble, Browning, Franco and Charlton.

Roger T. Bannon

Quote Originally Posted by Roger T. Bannon View Post
    Not specifically but I do remember some of those catches. He was an amazing talent. The Reds had a good run of talent with Rose with Larkin, Sabo, Davis, Householder, Dibble, Browning, Franco and Charlton.
    LOL. O'Neill not Householder. Householder was supposed to be pretty good.

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13194

“Regardless of the verdict of juries, no player that throws a ball game, no player that entertains proposals or promises to throw a game, no player that sits in a conference with a bunch of crooked players and gamblers where the ways and means of throwing games are discussed, and does not promptly tell his club about it, will ever again play professional baseball," Landis decreed.
    Kenesaw Mountain Landis...

He never said you can't gamble, did he ????

spippen
    spippen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10669

Quote Originally Posted by stake1 View Post
    He will get a decent customer base, just look at all the marketing books and touts are
    doing on major networks and sports publications.
    plenty of NEW suckers and losers out there.
    Pete Rose will definitely send some of his vintage 8x10 Heritage signed glossies, and likely some baseballs, as welcome gifts to his customers
    No doubt!

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Quote Originally Posted by Roger T. Bannon View Post
    Yes, he was incredibly good. I would say he was not only good, he was great.

The team he took over was BAD. No talent at all. Last place.

The first thing he did was put himself in the lineup hitting leadoff. But damn, if it did not work. They started winning. The next year they won 89 games. They did not make the playoffs but you have to consider that they were the worst organization in baseball and had a tightwad owner. What he did was incredible. He was one of the rare baseball managers that actually had the ability to make players better.

I thought hiring him was a joke. And it was just a publicity stunt. But it worked. He was excellent.
    Did he only manage ONE year? Did he build off of the first year? Turning a team around in one year is not unusual in MLB. Other than you talking about 1989, barely being over .500 for his managing career, and zero postseason appearances it doesn't seem like he was more than an average at best manager. I've never heard anyone say that Pete Rose was a great manager.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post

Always makes you wonder when so called winning sport gamblers try to start selling off their picks.

Usually they are broke and need money like you say JJ. Some can pick them more then lose them but they get caught up in the gambling bug and lose bankrolls when not showing discipline in consistent bet sizing.

Example - (I can't lose and am so hot right now I'm gonna let it ride again and again mentality, when they do finally start losing they then start chasing and lose it all).

I'm pretty sure Petey needs some cash.. Going Tout is a clear indicator of that.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32341

Pete Rose was a compiler.

Roger T. Bannon

Did he only manage ONE year? Did he build off of the first year? Turning a team around in one year is not unusual in MLB. Other than you talking about 1989, barely being over .500 for his managing career, and zero postseason appearances it doesn't seem like he was more than an average at best manager. I've never heard anyone say that Pete Rose was a great manager.
    No, he managed several years and 1985 was his best year. They do not talk about him on TV as being a great manager. I do not judge managers by what they say about them on TV.

Billy Martin was probably the greatest manager of all time and he got fired from every job he had.

Pete took a last place team and made it into a team that won 89 games with the same players. That is a great manager. I am not impressed by managers that have 95 win talent and win 95 games and go to the post season.

In subsequent years, he still had lousy talent but pieced together winning teams with washed up and marginal players and a few good ones. His lousy pitchers eventually collapsed on him and then he got fired for gambling.

The Reds were the worst organization in baseball when was Rose took the job but they started producing great talent and after he was fired Lou Pinella and Davey Johnson won a lot of games that Rose would have won if he had those players. They don't talk about him as a great manager because he did not have those players and he got banned from major league baseball.

Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14416

If only he didn’t have these demons and was just considered the man with the most hits.

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop
    StackinGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4514

He'll probably be a great fade. But we shall see.

pilebuck13
    pilebuck13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1717

He’s got to be broke granted he probably is a decent baseball handicapper but he’s a degenerate This alone holds him from long term profits

manny24
    pay Bobby
    manny24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 649

Quote Originally Posted by StackinGreen View Post
    He'll probably be a great fade. But we shall see.
    dart thrower he has no more clue about todays game than we do

it's criminal that he will never be in HOF tho

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2187

Quote Originally Posted by manny24 View Post
    dart thrower he has no more clue about todays game than we do

it's criminal that he will never be in HOF tho
    Christ tells me games to play.

juicername
    Thomorino - Fade and Get Paid
    juicername's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3972

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post

Why wouldn't he? That doesn't make any sense at all.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

There's gotta be a commercial on this somewhere lol would love to see it. lol

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Pete fits the compulsive gambler profile.

1) Extreme competitor just like Michael Jordan and hates to lose at anything.

2) Touting now and just loves to gamble, working the angles to get extra cash now to gamble by charging for picks to the public off his name.

3) Has Asian chick as partner with fake as she will put up with his degen life style.

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop
    StackinGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4514

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    Pete fits the compulsive gambler profile.

1) Extreme competitor just like Michael Jordan and hates to lose at anything.

2) Touting now and just loves to gamble, working the angles to get extra cash now to gamble by charging for picks to the public off his name.

3) Has Asian chick as partner with fake as she will put up with his degen life style.

Spot on.

This also describes Lang to the T. What's funny is that he was an average high school ball player turned caddy, lol

clockwise1965
    clockwise1965's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18366

Peter Rose gone tout. Say it ain't so

Roger T. Bannon

He's not making the picks. Wayne Allan Root or whoever they have making picks is making the picks. Pete is just a spokesman. It is the last hustle for Charlie Hustle.

Roger T. Bannon

Pete was probably a winning gambler at baseball when he played because he understood matchups and he knew all the players. He would not win today and I doubt he even bets.

johnnyvegas13
    johnnyvegas13's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 191

I kinda wanna know what his picks r

we rarely get this stuff from former players

clockwise1965
    clockwise1965's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18366

So he just the front man?

First 1234 Last