VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20481

When Is The L.A. Angels Manager Going To Do Something To Fix His Team?

So, the Angels hire Perry Minasian, a nobody from the Braves, as their General Manager. He's a f'n moron. During his introduction press conference, all he could say was that he knew this player, met that player, worked with these players. He has done absolutely ZERO to fix the glaring problem of the Angels - pitching.

Ausmus could have grown into the managers job if given a chance, but he was fired after year 1 of a 3 year deal, after having to deal with multiple injuries and the Skaggs death. Then Arte hired old fart Joe Maddon. He's a washed up senior citizen that should be fly fishing, not managing an MLB team.

I feel sorry for Mikey Trout - he'll never get a ring with the way this team is managed. I bet Arte calls Jerry Jones for advice every week. "Hey Jerr, how can I run my team into the ground even more?"

Meanwhile, other teams are shoring up their rotation and pens with trades and free agents. Angels? Nope. Just keeping the same pitchers that dragged them to the bottom last year.

pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

trout chose to stay there. he could have easily left and is being wasted year after year.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 100

joe maddon is so over rated, guy tried to give away the world series against cleveland with his in game decisons

pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

i agree. maddon is hailed as some guru when in reality he is average.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Trout has to go and rebuild young arms

Hitters do not win

mjsuax13
    mjsuax13's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 886

Trout doesn’t really want to win or play in the playoffs. Doesn’t want the spotlight or pressure. Otherwise, he would push them to get better.

jjgold

Quote Originally Posted by mjsuax13 View Post
    Trout doesn’t really want to win or play in the playoffs. Doesn’t want the spotlight or pressure. Otherwise, he would push them to get better.
    yep he is not competitive just a great hitter

sackofdoorknobs
    sackofdoorknobs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 264

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Yeah 3 MVPs and 4 2nd place MVP finishes and he's not competitive, give me a break. The guy actively works on his throwing arm and positioning in defense after hearing fans make half-jokes about him not being a 5-tool player, and now can gun down runners from the outfield. He just set a career high in hard hit balls % and takes an extra base on a hit 16% more than MLB average. He led the league both in WPA and WPA/Leverage for most of the years he has been playing. If Mike Trout isn't a competitor I don't know who is but even the guy we signed who literally pitches and hits got injured and over the last ten or so years we average one dead starting pitcher during the season a decade. Add in some Arte Moreno's meddling with the FO and the Sosh crew being late to the analytics game and the expected over-correction and what can one Mike Trout do? He already adds more wins to a team than any other player in the league.

jjgold

Have to get rid of trout you can’t win with sluggers need pitchers

SteveKerrsJunk
    SteveKerrsJunk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 134

The Pujols deal killed Mike Trout's chancing at winning, guy hasn't had an .800 ops season in 8 years. I can't say I've followed the Angels lineups all that closely but if you have that guy batting in front or behind you good luck getting pitches to hit. Guy is the real deal to keep putting up his numbers with some of the line-ups he's been a part of. Not his fault management can't put the right pieces around him and over-invest in guys like Pujols, Ohtani.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13300

Last year in Pujols deal and he will be a part time player this year. They have the next 1B up and ready. Their problem is pitching which they still attempt to fix by signing has beens on short deals. They are basically betting that Ohtani stays healthy and pitches well, Canning becomes a stud who finally puts it all together, and the trash heap reclamation projects they signed have good years. The only chance they have at making the playoffs is if the other teams in the AL West are trash too which they very well might be.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32317

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Goldy.
    Stop.

The guy is a five tool player in every sense of the word.
    He hits for major power, drives in and scores triple digit runs.
    Steals (not as often as he gets older) bases.
    Plays elite defense in the outfield....
    There's nothing he can't do except come out of the bullpen and save games.

Let's throw out the stat book for a second, don't take my word for it, almost every baseball person to a man says Trout is the greatest baseball player since Mays and Mantle.

Yes, agreed the Angles need arms, who are you going to trade Trout to to get those quality pitchers.
    Dodgers? Kershaw? He's getting old, Price? Please? Beuhler? He's their future ace.
    LA just invested in Bauer and Mookie Betts big time last year?

San Diego?
    They just might have the Trout at SS, and they don't have the arms to trade.
    That's why they signed Darvish and Snell.

The only possible fit for Trout would be NY Mets, but the Angles would need deGrom, their closer Diaz, and prospects, and unless hell freezes over and the last I checked it has not, that ain't happening.

Trout was born and raised in the Philly, New York area, if he wanted to play back home for either the Mets, Phils, or Yankees he never would signed that long term big money contract, he's happy in Southern California.

One last item.
    Angels drafted a stud lefty Reid Detmers out of Louisville who has a killer curve that scouts say is on the fast tract to the big show.
    On the farm Chris Rodriquez has a plus changeup/fastball, and Jose Soriano scouts say has a major league ready fastball.
    But the guy the Halos are banking on for the future is Detmers.

The Angels farm system is stable, not top five, but fine.
    They're on the right track.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

Artie just seems reluctant to spend money on pitching but will approve signings like Josh Hamilton, Vernon Wells, Justin Upton et al. The staff needs an ace and they just don't have it and seem unwilling to pay a top free agent pitcher.

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6898

Quote Originally Posted by VeggieDog View Post
    So, the Angels hire Perry Minasian, a nobody from the Braves, as their General Manager. He's a f'n moron. During his introduction press conference, all he could say was that he knew this player, met that player, worked with these players. He has done absolutely ZERO to fix the glaring problem of the Angels - pitching.

Ausmus could have grown into the managers job if given a chance, but he was fired after year 1 of a 3 year deal, after having to deal with multiple injuries and the Skaggs death. Then Arte hired old fart Joe Maddon. He's a washed up senior citizen that should be fly fishing, not managing an MLB team.

I feel sorry for Mikey Trout - he'll never get a ring with the way this team is managed. I bet Arte calls Jerry Jones for advice every week. "Hey Jerr, how can I run my team into the ground even more?"

Meanwhile, other teams are shoring up their rotation and pens with trades and free agents. Angels? Nope. Just keeping the same pitchers that dragged them to the bottom last year.
    thank you if i actually bet some baseball by miracle ill just pick spots to fade this team

lonegambler23
    Org Mafia
    lonegambler23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13520

when the governor is gonna fix coo coo california

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

It seems pretty fixed. For example the electricity stayed on the whole time when I was running my ice cold ac today.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by lonegambler23 View Post
    when the governor is gonna fix coo coo california
    Newsom will be recalled in three weeks.
    He's totally lost his shit.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Newsom will be recalled in three weeks.
    He's totally lost his shit.
    Sadly there is no one on his level politically who will present a challenge.

SteveKerrsJunk

Julio Teheren getting 30 innings in 2020. Criminal.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKerrsJunk View Post
    Julio Teheren getting 30 innings in 2020. Criminal.
    Could have been worse.
    He could have made 4 starts and pitched 11 innings with a 7.71 going 0 and 3
    Here's the best part, Matt Harvey gave up 6 homers in those 11 innings.

The whole 2020 'season' if you can that a season was an aberration.
    Teheran is what he is. A .500 pitcher.
    Now he'll go to Detroit and do what he always does, go 9 and 9 with an ERA hovering around 5.

Hey the Orioles just gave Matt Harvey a spring deal, that move alone makes the Angels front office look like geniuses.

mjsuax13

Weird franchise. I don’t get it. Trout doesn’t flex his clout on them. He’s a great guy but should ask for a trade. Doesn’t seem like he wants to be a playoff killer. Hope I’m wrong.

SteveKerrsJunk

Could have been worse.
    He could have made 4 starts and pitched 11 innings with a 7.71 going 0 and 3
    Here's the best part, Matt Harvey gave up 6 homers in those 11 innings.

The whole 2020 'season' if you can that a season was an aberration.
    Teheran is what he is. A .500 pitcher.
    Now he'll go to Detroit and do what he always does, go 9 and 9 with an ERA hovering around 5.

Hey the Orioles just gave Matt Harvey a spring deal, that move alone makes the Angels front office look like geniuses.
    Good points. I didn't realize Teheran was only 30 as well. 77-77 with an under 4 era deserves a spot on most mlb clubs. The Harvey deal definitely makes the Angels look geniuses in comparison. Who needs a job when you can fade the Orioles all season.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKerrsJunk View Post
    Good points. I didn't realize Teheran was only 30 as well. 77-77 with an under 4 era deserves a spot on most mlb clubs. The Harvey deal definitely makes the Angels look geniuses in comparison. Who needs a job when you can fade the Orioles all season.
    I love the KC Royals, they're my favorite team I faded Harvey hard three times last season.
    It was like robbing a bank.
    The dudes fastball was barely reaching 92mph.
    It was batting practice.

mjsuax13

I love the KC Royals, they're my favorite team I faded Harvey hard three times last season.
    It was like robbing a bank.
    The dudes fastball was barely reaching 92mph.
    It was batting practice.
    I remember that. Harvey got roughed up.