habitualwinning
    habitualwinning's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6311

What's the best way to unload sports memorabilia?

I'm looking for the easiest way to sell my entire collection of sports memorabilia collected over the years. I have everything from autographed baseballs and cards; Pujols, Griffey Jr., Gwynn, Maddux, Musial, Maris, Mantle etc. Chairs from old stadiums. Entire season collections of cards from many sports; MLB, NBA, NHL. So several HOF rookie cards. Framed pics of big sports events.

Anyway, I don't have any goldmines like Babe Ruth or Honus Wagner or anything but it's all still worth something and I want to get rid of all of it. What's my best option? Auction house? Consignment shop? FB marketplace? Anybody know or sold your collections before? Thanks.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Ebay
    Auctions sites

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Garbage bags and curbside city pickup would be the absolute easiest way.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: gauchojake

hawkeye 16
    Update your status
    hawkeye 16's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10404

Ebay is probably the best as far as getting the most $$, that is if you are experienced with Ebay. It will take some time though and a lot of work, not to mention a lot of fees. The rules are also complicated, plus trying to price it at a point it sells versus paying fees for nothing (Ebay charges fees on listing, getting paid (Paypal) and final value fees, they even take a % of shipping costs).

Depending on your experience with Ebay, and how much work you want to put in, you might just want to go to a big card show and see what you can get. Be prepared to be disappointed though as it's not a great market.

It sounds like you got some good stuff. If you can afford to put in the time, Ebay will get you the best price. There are also some consignment sellers on Ebay that will take your stuff for a cut. Just be careful about who you contact. Look at their transaction history and feedback.

People usually think the stuff they have is worth more that what it is. You can usually get a good idea of what your stuff is worth by doing a "completed items search" on Ebay. Then deduct about 30% for fees.

Hope that helps.

Best of luck.

cmaulsby
    cmaulsby's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13702

Most everything produced from 1983-1995 is trash. Known as the “junk” era because everything was overproduced. Best thing to do is do a search for list cal dealers and have them look at it - if you’re lucky you’ll get an offer. Do an EBay Advanced Search to see what stuff actually sells for.

Ive been paying $6 per 1000 so that’s the market out there right now.

Hope that helps.

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 422

Quote Originally Posted by cmaulsby View Post
    Most everything produced from 1983-1995 is trash. Known as the “junk” era because everything was overproduced. Best thing to do is do a search for list cal dealers and have them look at it - if you’re lucky you’ll get an offer. Do an EBay Advanced Search to see what stuff actually sells for.

Ive been paying $6 per 1000 so that’s the market out there right now.

Hope that helps.
    Yes. You can still buy fresh cases of 1992 topps

hawkeye 16
    Update your status
    hawkeye 16's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10404

If you have a fireplace/wood stove, you would make more $$ by using just about anything after 1974 as fuel.

ace7550
    ace7550's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7772

Like everyone else said Ebay is where you will get the maximum payout for your stuff. That being said, it's a huge hassle and the fees are very steep. Your collection sounds like it would take months of work to sell on Ebay.
    If I were you I would sell the autographed baseballs/cards and the chairs from old stadiums on Ebay. Those items have some value. The complete sets probably have very little value.
    You could also put bulk lots up on ebay, but again, you'll lose some value selling in bulk.
    Sad that all those 20 year old complete sets are worthless...

habitualwinning
    habitualwinning's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6311

Cards are dead anybody under 35 doesn't care about cards at all. However, the autographed balls, bats, pucks, footballs etc. I have are still worth decent money. It could just be bc they just won the stanley cup but I had some Blues stuff that I recently sold on FB marketplace.

Sold a book about the history of the Blues that was made in the early 2000s for $200. Sold a seat from the old arena for $400. Sold some cards Hull, Pronger, MacInnis, Gretzky, Tarasenko and media guides for what I thought was decent price. Again it could be bc they just won the cup but people told me all that stuff was junk too and I got decent $$$$ for it.

I don't expect to get much for my card collections at all but I want to downsize and offload the autographed stuff and bulkier items like chairs and huge framed pictures I have.

I think I'm gonna just try out a consignment shop. Do a few items, see how it works. If it's good repeat, if not try something else. I'm not gonna try ebay myself. I have too much stuff and shipping will be a nightmare with some of the items.

Too bad there's not like a huge sports memorabilia convention cause I'd go to it. Shipping is a mfer. P2p is way to go. Too many scammers and no shows on some places like craigslist and letgo. FB mp is like only good P2p site.