Gmen30
    Update your status
    Gmen30's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1000

Draymond Green

Is he better than Horace Grant? No

Also, why do people love Rachel Nichols?
    Last edited by shari91; 05-30-19 at 08:34 PM.

big joe 1212
    big joe 1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5365

inmyownzone
    inmyownzone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 149

I think he is better than Horace. Also used to have a thing for Rachel...not so much anymore. She's still not bad though.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

way better than HO
    Points Awarded:

jtoler gave Chi_archie 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 444

Draymond Green was ostensibly talking about Marquese Chriss. The 22-year-old forward is with the Warriors in preseason on a non-guaranteed contract, but Stever Kerr says Chriss has been the “surprise of camp,” and with Golden State dealing with injuries to its other big men, Chriss seems likely to make the team. But Green had larger things on his mind, and used Chriss as an example of how he believes that when a player doesn’t pan out, it’s often not that player’s fault.

“I don’t think there was ever a doubt that he was a legitimate NBA player,” Green told reporters after Wednesday’s preseason loss to the Lakers, in which Chriss scored eight points and grabbed four rebounds in 25 minutes with an unrecognizable Warriors lineup.

“I think everyone was just waiting for [Chriss] to turn that corner,” Green continued, “and he seems like he’s turned the corner. But I think he’s been in some pretty tough situations. No one ever blames the situation, it’s always the kid. No one ever blames the shitty franchises. They just always want to blame the kid. It’s not always the kid’s fault. I’m happy he’s got an opportunity to show what he can really do. He’s a prime example. But no one still is going to blame any organizations, it’ll always be the kid’s fault, and it’ll be the next kid the come’s fault and the next kid after that.”

Chriss, the eighth overall draft pick out of Washington in 2016, is a hell of a test case. He’s basically never been put in position to succeed, so there’s no way to say whether his early-career struggles are his own fault, or if he’s been ruined by the irrepressible taint of Phoenix. The Suns acquired him in a draft-night trade, and he spent two seasons in that wilderness. Last year he split time between Cleveland and Houston, barely getting off the bench. He was, by then, a bona fide draft bust—up until the Warriors decided he didn’t have to be.

Now, we all know this, on a fundamental level—that it’s certainly not always a player’s fault, and maybe not even usually. So why does the label of “draft bust” continually get affixed to players more firmly than to the teams that keep busting them? Draymond’s got an answer for that one, too: it’s the media.

“Because you’re friends with them,” Green said. “And you want all the access from them. So the way you guys will come out and bash players, you don’t do that to organizations because it’s all about access and protecting your future. No one really protects these younger guys’ future because it’s all about what can I do for myself. So no one talks about the organizations. It’s always just the player, player, player because they can’t do shit about it but be young and their name carries no weight and then be out of the league and onto the next thing. So that’s what I think it is. No Phoenix writer is going to bash the Phoenix Suns. But let’s be frank about it: When he was there, the organization was terrible. Everything was going wrong, but he get blamed like he’s the problem. When he left, ain’t nothing go right.”

There’s truth in this. After a losing season, a local beat writer has to come back the next year and have a working relationship with a GM. That writer will never have to speak to the waived young player ever again. The same goes for national hoops writers, to a slightly lesser extent. This generally isn’t intentional or malicious, just a reality of an industry where coaches and front office types and reporters have longer careers than players.

So what’s there to be done about skewed perceptions of young players who don’t live up to expectations? Just keep in mind, I guess, that so much more goes into career success than just individual talent. Green’s out here raising awareness. And if Chriss can be a useful player for the Warriors, it’ll be a heartening message that there is life after Phoenix.

shadymcgrady
    shadymcgrady's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2978

Anyone with basketball IQ that's played at some sort of competitive level in their lives would realize how good Draymond is

franklee168
    franklee168's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17041

Was Horace also the heart and soul of his team?

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

He has a role that has helped Warriors win titles

BuckyOne
    BuckyOne's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19309

How many people can say they cost their team the NBA championship by kicking Lebron James in the balls? He is good but also a walking technical foul.

IBetYou
    IBetYou's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16179

1. Yes
    2. Because Americans LOVE sarcasm.

BigJay
    BigJay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 229

Quote Originally Posted by BuckyOne View Post
    How many people can say they cost their team the NBA championship by kicking Lebron James in The balls?
    He probably thinks it was worth it.

IBetYou

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    Draymond Green was ostensibly talking about Marquese Chriss. The 22-year-old forward is with the Warriors in preseason on a non-guaranteed contract, but Stever Kerr says Chriss has been the “surprise of camp,” and with Golden State dealing with injuries to its other big men, Chriss seems likely to make the team. But Green had larger things on his mind, and used Chriss as an example of how he believes that when a player doesn’t pan out, it’s often not that player’s fault.

“I don’t think there was ever a doubt that he was a legitimate NBA player,” Green told reporters after Wednesday’s preseason loss to the Lakers, in which Chriss scored eight points and grabbed four rebounds in 25 minutes with an unrecognizable Warriors lineup.

“I think everyone was just waiting for [Chriss] to turn that corner,” Green continued, “and he seems like he’s turned the corner. But I think he’s been in some pretty tough situations. No one ever blames the situation, it’s always the kid. No one ever blames the shitty franchises. They just always want to blame the kid. It’s not always the kid’s fault. I’m happy he’s got an opportunity to show what he can really do. He’s a prime example. But no one still is going to blame any organizations, it’ll always be the kid’s fault, and it’ll be the next kid the come’s fault and the next kid after that.”

Chriss, the eighth overall draft pick out of Washington in 2016, is a hell of a test case. He’s basically never been put in position to succeed, so there’s no way to say whether his early-career struggles are his own fault, or if he’s been ruined by the irrepressible taint of Phoenix. The Suns acquired him in a draft-night trade, and he spent two seasons in that wilderness. Last year he split time between Cleveland and Houston, barely getting off the bench. He was, by then, a bona fide draft bust—up until the Warriors decided he didn’t have to be.

Now, we all know this, on a fundamental level—that it’s certainly not always a player’s fault, and maybe not even usually. So why does the label of “draft bust” continually get affixed to players more firmly than to the teams that keep busting them? Draymond’s got an answer for that one, too: it’s the media.

“Because you’re friends with them,” Green said. “And you want all the access from them. So the way you guys will come out and bash players, you don’t do that to organizations because it’s all about access and protecting your future. No one really protects these younger guys’ future because it’s all about what can I do for myself. So no one talks about the organizations. It’s always just the player, player, player because they can’t do shit about it but be young and their name carries no weight and then be out of the league and onto the next thing. So that’s what I think it is. No Phoenix writer is going to bash the Phoenix Suns. But let’s be frank about it: When he was there, the organization was terrible. Everything was going wrong, but he get blamed like he’s the problem. When he left, ain’t nothing go right.”

There’s truth in this. After a losing season, a local beat writer has to come back the next year and have a working relationship with a GM. That writer will never have to speak to the waived young player ever again. The same goes for national hoops writers, to a slightly lesser extent. This generally isn’t intentional or malicious, just a reality of an industry where coaches and front office types and reporters have longer careers than players.

So what’s there to be done about skewed perceptions of young players who don’t live up to expectations? Just keep in mind, I guess, that so much more goes into career success than just individual talent. Green’s out here raising awareness. And if Chriss can be a useful player for the Warriors, it’ll be a heartening message that there is life after Phoenix.
    Non-story. Green is always talking up his young guys. He talked up Jordan Bell... where is he now? Buried on the T'Wolves bench that's where.

Chriss had all the opportunity in the world in Phoenix but he was very young (he and Bender drafted the same year, both very young) and obviously not ready for the challenges of NBA life. Bit more mature now and it shows. Ultimately a BAD pick, as was Bender.

When you draft someone so young & unproven you had better have a good eye for talent.

IBetYou

Chriss waived.

shadymcgrady

Wow

IBetYou

Green continued, “and he seems like he’s turned the corner. But I think he’s been in some pretty tough situations. No one ever blames the situation, it’s always the kid. No one ever blames the shitty franchises. They just always want to blame the kid. It’s not always the kid’s fault. I’m happy he’s got an opportunity to show what he can really do. He’s a prime example. But no one still is going to blame any organizations, it’ll always be the kid’s fault, and it’ll be the next kid the come’s fault and the next kid after that.”

So now it was the kid or are the Warriors a shitty franchise?

People like to point the finger, say it's someone else's fault rather than looking in the mirror.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7738

Green is a temperamental clown

MrSink
    MrSink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4888

why green stats detoriated this season ? his court vision is weaker ? his IQ is suddenly lower ?

he is a good player , but he is also massively overrated. he was important piece to win all those championship but without superstars he would not be considered as valueable as he was , I do not believe still is

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21689

Nobody under 35 even knows who Horace Grant is.

IBetYou

It's ironic that those words should come from Green because he made the most of every opportunity afforded him. Came in as a senior.

asiagambler
    asiagambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30455

Green is better

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11901

He texted his man junk pictures to groupies that's all I know. ..

Green solid role player on a team that is built to shoot 3's. He's the garbage man that cleans up when D's are spread out...

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

Every time I see her she's added a pound or 4

KRIT
    KRIT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20370

Green exposed now that he isn't on a championship team. Nice player to have on a good team, useless on a weak team.

IBetYou

Quote Originally Posted by KRIT View Post
    Green exposed now that he isn't on a championship team. Nice player to have on a good team, useless on a weak team.
    He played great over the festive period, but trash otherwise. Giant rollercoaster with him as he just doesn't have the energy/ desire to fight bigger players week after week. With hindsight you can surmise he was the main reason for the Warriors' up & down play in recent years. Getting time off from Kerr now...

Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

Tossup

shadymcgrady

If he's motivated, top 15 player overall maybe top 10. Boxscore nerds don't get it, his contributions are paramount and vast to winning. Shades of Rasheed Wallace
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: jtoler

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24020

Quote Originally Posted by DiggityDaggityDo View Post
    Every time I see her she's added a pound or 4

This is fuked up. I used to think she was hot in a weird sexy way. Now she's just like..bleh in a fat way I guess. Very sad.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: DiggityDaggityDo

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11901

Green has a flaw - he can't bottle up his emotions and keep them in check on the court.

He's always been a technical foul waiting to happen. He hurts his team and himself constantly when he blows up at the refs.. That's something you need to consider when comparing him to other players..

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32317

Quote Originally Posted by shadymcgrady View Post
    If he's motivated, top 15 player overall maybe top 10. Boxscore nerds don't get it, his contributions are paramount and vast to winning. Shades of Rasheed Wallace
    I’m a box score nerd and I get it.
    Green plays serious defense which is now a lost art form.

MrSink
    MrSink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4888

Quote Originally Posted by shadymcgrady View Post
    hahahaha the funniest thing I ve heard in 2020