209 Life
    Off to BMR. Deuces
    209 Life's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6750

Report: Amari Cooper's salary demands "shockingly high" in contract negotiation

Wants 18+ millon a year, Gruden was right to ship your butterfingers outta town. Gruden fleeced Jerry

The positive part of having good young players is obvious. The bad part is figuring out how to pay them all.

The Dallas Cowboys are going to have some tough decisions coming up, and their future free agents aren’t going to make things easy on them. Dallas just paid defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence among the largest contracts ever for a defensive player. And now onto the next order of business: Signing Dak Prescott, Ezekiel Elliott and Amari Cooper.
    [Join or create a 2019 Yahoo Fantasy Football league for free today]
    According to Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, that won’t be easy.
    Cowboys are ‘sold’ on Dak Prescott

At the moment it seems the Cowboys are moving faster on Prescott’s deal than with Cooper, but the two are related.
    Hill wrote that the Prescott deal will fall somewhere in the range of $30 million per season, and that apparently isn’t a problem.
    ”We are sold on Dak,” Jones said on “The Rich Eisen Show,” via Hill. “We do want to have him for the long term. We think he is worthy of investing in for the long term.”
    Quarterbacks always get paid. Guys like Prescott don’t hit the open market. Whether you’re unconvinced Prescott is worth $30 million a year doesn’t really matter. He’s going to get a lot of money.
    But when you pay your quarterback $30 million per season, it has an effect on the rest of the salary cap. That’s where Cooper comes in.
    Amari Cooper’s salary demands ‘shockingly high’

Hill wrote that more progress is being made with Prescott than Cooper, and we got some insight into why. Hill wrote that even though the Cowboys understand the floor of his contract is $16 million per season, Cooper’s contract demands are “shockingly high.”
    Cooper has leverage. The Cowboys traded a first-round pick for him in the middle of last season. Everyone knows it would be a bad look to trade a first for just a season-and-a-half of Cooper before he leaves in free agency. But what if Cooper is asking for more than $18 million per season (which would be considered “shockingly high” to a team that had planned on at least $16 million per season)? Browns receiver Odell Beckham makes $18 million per season, the most ever for a receiver. Cooper isn’t worth that, but the Cowboys won’t want to lose him.
    Then there’s also the Elliott conundrum, and the issue of NFL teams not wanting to overpay running backs.
    The Cowboys have plenty of star players; that’s why they’re NFC East champs. But now they have to figure out how to make them all happy.

Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

Not worth it but he'll likely get it

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Quote Originally Posted by Hman View Post
    Not worth it but he'll likely get it
    I agree 18 mil per is too much but Cowboys offense got a lot better when he got to town.

They can get creative with incentives and guaranteed money and make it work. Problem is the team needs new leadership.

RockBottom
    RockBottom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22623

I don’t think he’s worth it personally, but there’s no denying that he is the perfect compliment to Elliott. Dallas gave up a 1sr rounder for him, so they’ll have to pony up.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

no WR worth it

diamond dozen
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: jackbo

Harry N. Lloyd
    Harry N. Lloyd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12914

Like JJ expertly says......Diamond Dozen.

WR's are great in fantasy football. But they mean very little in the real game.

T.O., Moss, OchoCinco, Beckham, Dez, and many many others have never sniffed a Super Bowl ring. They're mostly self-centered divas who oftentimes are disruptive.

Paying a WR big money is a fool's game. Pay your QB, your linemen, and your defense.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

As long as the fools who rub the Cowbow's are still there, the Cowboys will NEVER get to another Superbowl, much less win one. Jones and his idiot head coach, Jason Garrett, have done NOTHING with some solid talent. That is because they have a losers mindset. They always play "not to lose" and as you guys who do the same thing when it comes to your wagers know, that is a sure fire formula for failure.

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

Quote Originally Posted by Harry N. Lloyd View Post
    Like JJ expertly says......Diamond Dozen.

Paying a WR big money is a fool's game. Pay your QB, your linemen, and your defense.
    Losing by 3 and 4 points in the Super Bowl twice as a big favorite is never sniffing a ring. And being on a team than was up 10 pts late in the NFC title game as well.

Ocho and TO lost in close Superbowls as well.

shocka1212
    [Too Long]
    shocka1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3355

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    As long as the fools who rub the Cowbow's are still there, the Cowboys will NEVER get to another Superbowl, much less win one. Jones and his idiot head coach, Jason Garrett, have done NOTHING with some solid talent. That is because they have a losers mindset. They always play "not to lose" and as you guys who do the same thing when it comes to your wagers know, that is a sure fire formula for failure.
    take a hike asshole

Harry N. Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by rm18 View Post
    Losing by 3 and 4 points in the Super Bowl twice as a big favorite is never sniffing a ring. And being on a team than was up 10 pts late in the NFC title game as well.
    Ocho and TO lost in close Superbowls as well.

Laugh all you want, Chuckles. They didn't get rings.

Jerry Rice was the last elite wide receiver to make a difference in a Super Bowl.......and that was 30 years ago!

Granted, Edelman was MVP this last year but he was a 7th round draft pick who dominates because he's tough as nails, not because he's an Odell Beckham type.

Other WR MVP's include Deion Branch, Hines Ward, and those types. Working class WR's, not "Get me the ball" divas.

Big name WR's are the most over-rated players in the game. Great for fantasy, great for selling jerseys, but they have limited cache when it comes to putting together Championship teams.

Amari Cooper is not worth what he thinks he's worth.

asiagambler
    asiagambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30492

Laugh all you want, Chuckles. They didn't get rings.

Jerry Rice was the last elite wide receiver to make a difference in a Super Bowl.......and that was 30 years ago!

Granted, Edelman was MVP this last year but he was a 7th round draft pick who dominates because he's tough as nails, not because he's an Odell Beckham type.

Other WR MVP's include Deion Branch, Hines Ward, and those types. Working class WR's, not "Get me the ball" divas.

Big name WR's are the most over-rated players in the game. Great for fantasy, great for selling jerseys, but they have limited cache when it comes to putting together Championship teams.

Amari Cooper is not worth what he thinks he's worth.
    Wasn't Santonio Holmes MVP? He doesn't really fit that mold I don't think.

krk1030
    krk1030's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4884

I don't get it. They knew it would be at least 16 million yet shocked he wants 18.

Call it 17 and move on.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Why did the Cowgirls trade for him if they can't afford to pay him?

Headline should be: Cowboys don't have money to pay Amari.

lonegambler23
    Org Mafia
    lonegambler23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13520

get rid of elliot

SmokingKing
    SmokingKing's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1126

no way gonna happen. they pay Dak. no way Cooper is gonna get what he wants

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

He has them by the balls. They can’t let him go after giving up a first rounder. He isn’t worth even close to that.

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

Dak $30mm?

Am I the only one not sold on Dak?

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
    Dak $30mm?

Am I the only one not sold on Dak?
    Not worth it either, but understandable at least. So hard to find a QB that when you find a halfway decent one then you gotta pay ‘em.

Harry N. Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by asiagambler View Post
    Wasn't Santonio Holmes MVP? He doesn't really fit that mold I don't think.
    Santonio Holmes did win a Super Bowl MVP.....but he had a total of 36 career TD's. Jerry Rice had 197. See the difference.

5 years into his career, Amari Cooper has 25 TD's and has never sniffed a Super Bowl appearance.

He sells jerseys, doesn't win rings.

rm18
    Update your status

WR was the strongest position on the Redskins dynasty that won 3 Superbowls in 10 years with 3 different trash QBs. But Im sure you're a millionaire from betting huge underdog MLs against Randy Moss in the playoffs. Moss played on the two greatest teams in the history of the NFL 16-0 and 15-1 with pts tiebreaker, and one had Cunningham at Qb at damn near 40 years old

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

Of course morons, you gave up a first for him

asiagambler

Santonio Holmes did win a Super Bowl MVP.....but he had a total of 36 career TD's. Jerry Rice had 197. See the difference.

5 years into his career, Amari Cooper has 25 TD's and has never sniffed a Super Bowl appearance.

He sells jerseys, doesn't win rings.
    I wasn't comparing him to Jerry Rice. Just pointing out he's not a "working class WR" and is much more similar to Cooper

Harry N. Lloyd

I'm not even gonna answer RM18 because perhaps he's not that bright. Look at the last 10 Super Bowl champs and remind me of one elite WR that made the difference.

As for you, Asia.....agreed, Rice was a man among boys and Santonio Holmes, among others, could not compare. But watch how Belichek works his payroll budget and you'll see that he doesn't give a ridiculous amount of money to wide-outs who think they're the best thing since slice toast. It's a team game. They should be paid well, but one would be a fiscal fool (and a poor GM) to break the bank on the Keyshawn Johnson's of the world.

SmokingKing
    SmokingKing's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1126

dallas is one of those teams that will self-implode in a couple years.. missed opportunities, they had their chances to make strides in the playoffs but failed to do so. i dont see Dak being the long term answer at QB. they'll find out when its too late. Zeke will probably be more diva-like and want out of Dallas and hit free agency. Jason Garrett will probably get fired too. you may see a wholly different Dallas team where they will be an under .500 team.

rm18
    Update your status

Josh Gordon single handedly beat the Chicago Bears to give the Pats their bye week dont forget that. It is called variance I am sure the Pats just are destined to win because the Chiefs have Hill and Rams have Cooks. You could of bet them as a dog in both games and 5xed your net worth. You must never lose a bet in the playoffs just bet the worse wide receivers.

Harry N. Lloyd

Betting on 'elite' WR's is what squares do, my friend.

We're talking NFL gambling, not FanDuel.

Take your jersey off and meet me at the sports book.

asiagambler

Pats are the model franchise but to say WRs can't impact the game is silly, especially as the league becomes even more pass oriented.

Not every team also has the luxury of having an all time great at QB, which is really the reason the Pats don't overspend for wide receivers- they don't need to, Brady makes average wideouts perform like great ones.

Harry N. Lloyd

I'm not saying that WR's don't impact the game. Of course they do. So do LB's and DB's and OT's. I'm saying WR's don't deserve ridiculous contracts because it takes away from the quality of talent a team can spend for to shore up the rest of the positions.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 456

The Dallas Cowboys' offseason has been all about identifying the long-term pieces of their core and figuring out whether they want to pay them big money, and if so, how much. First up was Demarcus Lawrence, who signed a five-year, $105 million deal. The Cowboys haven't done any big-money deals since, but it's been said ad nauseam that the next two guys up are Dak Prescott and Amari Cooper.

Prescott's situation is perhaps more pressing. He's a fourth-round pick heading into the final season of his rookie contract, and, well, he's a quarterback. Cooper is about to play on the fifth-year option season of his own rookie deal, and while the Cowboys traded a first-round pick to get him, he's still a wide receiver and thus a de facto less important player to the team's future than Prescott.

Cooper himself seemed to acknowledge that when discussing his and Prescott's respective contract situations during an appearance on ESPN. Asked directly whether he should be the highest-paid receiver in football, Cooper had an interesting answer.

"Not now," he said. "Definitely looking forward to earning that respect and definitely looking forward to coming into this year and just putting up those numbers for my team and really showing what I can do in a full season as a Dallas Cowboy. I know that I have the skillset to be one of the highest-paid receivers. I'm just all about going out there and proving it."

When asked about Prescott, Cooper was just as direct, but more forcefully in favor of making his teammate one of the highest-paid players at his position.

"Most quarterbacks don't have the best bodies or probably don't really care much about the weight room because they're more on the cerebral side of the game, but this guy takes every rep seriously," Cooper said. "He doesn't miss a rep and I think that's a big part of who he is. He's just a competitor, he wants to do everything the right way. I haven't played with too many guys like Dak Prescott, so I think he definitely deserves everything that's coming to him. He definitely deserves to be paid amongst the highest-paid quarterbacks in the league."