DJK
    Gee Joon/Teen Bo Guaranteed Winner
    DJK's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8043

Anyone else got Disney/ESPN raising rates notice by cable service?

This is what I got in my inbox by my cable provider Verizon FIOS.

As you may know, we must periodically renew our agreements with TV content providers to be able to provide you with the programming available on Fios® TV.
    Despite what you may be hearing from Disney, we have been negotiating a renewal agreement to keep their networks, which include those from Disney and ESPN, as well as ABC affiliates in Philadelphia and New York, in our lineup.
    Disney is currently proposing that Verizon pay hundreds of millions of dollars more for its programming, despite the fact that many of its key networks are experiencing declining viewership. In addition to the proposed rate increase, Disney is also demanding we include, and pay for, another regional sports channel, the ACC Network, in order to continue bringing you all the other Disney and ESPN networks we do today. The rising cost of programming is the biggest factor in higher TV bills and we are standing up to networks like Disney, refusing to accept these huge increases.
    We’ve given Disney a reasonable offer to continue providing you access to its networks. Unfortunately, as of today, they have rejected our offers and there is a possibility that we won’t be able to reach an agreement with them prior to our contract expiration on December 31, 2018 at 5pm EST.
    Rest assured, our goal is to reach a fair agreement allowing you to continue to have access to the networks you enjoy today while securing an agreement that is in the best interest of our customers.
    Thank you for choosing Verizon.

Venom72
    Venom72's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 974

Nah, got dish network

Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14416

So much for watching the Rose Bowl.

darrell74
    darrell74's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19492

Local CBS announced that Cox cable was possibly, gonna discontinue CBS as part of their basic package. Here in Vegas

Imo, pretty soon, only bars are going to carry cable for ESPN and sports from cable.
    Nobody's going to pay for cable anymore

big joe 1212
    big joe 1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5365

I don’t know which company tries to grab harder, Verizon or Disney. Both keep raising rates while quality getting worse.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Bad move charging like this

kingdom
    kingdom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1957

eventually espn has to go to a stand alone option like hbo, showtime, etc. i know they make a killing per subscriber with cable etc. but you can quit cable. so many streaming options that give better deals than even the bundles.

DJK
    Gee Joon/Teen Bo Guaranteed Winner
    DJK's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8043

If I wasn't betting on football, then I wouldn't watch any of it thus no need for ESPN at all. As a matter of fact, for the last 7 years I have not been betting on sports except for the Super Bowls, I don't think I watched any NFL games at all except for the Super Bowls. I don't give a crap about all other sports.

jjgold

I have streaming too slow .... 2 minutes behind cable

I might go back

Quote Originally Posted by kingdom View Post
    eventually espn has to go to a stand alone option like hbo, showtime, etc. i know they make a killing per subscriber with cable etc. but you can quit cable. so many streaming options that give better deals than even the bundles.

kingdom
    kingdom's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by DJK View Post
    If I wasn't betting on football, then I wouldn't watch any of it thus no need for ESPN at all. As a matter of fact, for the last 7 years I have not been betting on sports except for the Super Bowls, I don't think I watched any NFL games at all except for the Super Bowls. I don't give a crap about all other sports.
    its why espn bought a monopoly on all the bowl games and national championship. it then became a necessity. what the cable companies don't tell you is for every dollar espn goes up, they go up 2 or more. for 3 years in a row comcast/xfinity raised 10 bucks. cable companies only means for survival is bundling with cellular. why xfinity launched their service. streaming is gonna make cable a thing of the past.

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

Quote Originally Posted by big joe 1212 View Post
    I don’t know which company tries to grab harder, Verizon or Disney. Both keep raising rates while quality getting worse.
    Disney.. horrible company since the Disneys lost control of it.

Mr. Teaser
    Go Terps/Nats/Skins
    Mr. Teaser's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6161

Got the same email

kingdom
    kingdom's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    I have streaming too slow .... 2 minutes behind cable

I might go back
    i'm one minute behind. unless your live betting a lot it doesn't matter much. sucks when you're on the phone though and someone yells td! before you see the play lol.and honestly i was behind 30 secs with comcast compared to broadcast tv anyways. for what i'm paying to get every ufc and boxing ppv and all sports packages, i can sacrifice that minute.

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

Why are you knuckleheads even watching tv?

I can send murder she wrote copies free to you to watch on vhs

Just follow your games on sbrodds.com

jjgold

Good point

Rudy old school

Quote Originally Posted by kingdom View Post
    i'm one minute behind. unless your live betting a lot it doesn't matter much. sucks when you're on the phone though and someone yells td! before you see the play lol.and honestly i was behind 30 secs with comcast compared to broadcast tv anyways. for what i'm paying to get every ufc and boxing ppv and all sports packages, i can sacrifice that minute.