Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

Why the Point Spread Hasn’t Mattered When Betting Bowl Game Underdogs

Why the Point Spread Hasn’t Mattered When Betting Bowl Game Underdogs

Steve Petrella
    12/12/18

• Bowl game underdogs win games outright at a much higher clip than they do during the regular season.
    • Here's how bettors can take advantage of this trend that's been reliable over the past 40 years.

Bowl season (most of it, anyway) pits college football’s best teams against one another. It seems like the perfect time to take underdogs with the points, figuring the dog can keep it close given the relative talent and ability of each team is pretty even.
    But that just hasn’t been the case during bowl season. Underdogs usually win outright, or lose and don’t cover the spread. Let me explain.

The Four Results of a College Football Bet

There are four possible results when betting college football games against the spread.

• The favorite wins and covers the spread
    • The favorite wins, but doesn’t cover the spread
    • The underdog wins the game outright (which means it also covers the spread)
    • A push (favorite wins by the exact point spread)

During the regular season, underdogs win 24% of games outright. In bowl season, they win about 37% of the time.
    We have 457 bowl games in our Bet Labs database, which goes back to 2005. In those games…

• 171 underdogs won outright (37.4%)
    • 68 underdogs covered but lost the game (14.8%)
    • 218 favorites won and covered (47.7%)
    • 6 games pushed

Since 1980, using KillerSports.com, the results from 784 bowl games are similar (excluding pick’ems and pushes):

• 303 underdogs won outright (38.7%)
    • 127 underdogs covered but lost the game (16.1%)
    • 354 favorites won and covered (45.2%)

In 25,371 regular season games since 1980 (excluding pick’ems and pushes)…

• 5,553 underdogs won outright (22.8%)
    • 6,241 underdogs won but lost the game (25.6%)
    • 11,806 favorites have won and covered (48.6%)

In bowl games, the point spread comes into play (the underdog covering but losing) about one in every seven games. During the regular season, it’s about one in four.

But the Teams Are Better and the Spreads Are Smaller … Right?

You can’t just use winning percentages in this exercise, because there are more 20-plus-point underdogs during the regular season that have little chance of winning outright. You rarely see a bowl game spread that high.
    It still works, even with a betting spin. Betting moneyline underdogs has been profitable in the past 13 years. (For those unfamiliar, you’ll get a bigger payout if you bet an underdog to win outright. Oklahoma beating
    Alabama straight-up pays 4-1 — $100 to win $400 — while betting the Sooners +14.5 is around even money — $110 to win $100.)

Blindly betting every dog straight-up in a bowl game since 2005 has yielded a 6.8% ROI and +31.4 units.
    But this trend isn’t reliable every year. It’s had good ones and bad. And it in part relies on one or two big underdogs to cash each year to be profitable.

Year Record ROI Units
    2005 13-15 42% +11.7
    2006 11-21 -4.20% -1.3
    2007 8-24 -19.50% -6.2
    2008 11-23 -13.30% -4.5
    2009 16-18 33% +11.2
    2010 12-23 -6.40% -2.24
    2011 11-24 -27.40% -9.6
    2012 10-25 -5.40% -1.9
    2013 14-21 44.40% +15.5
    2014 22-17 46.10% +17.9
    2015 11-30 -25.30% -10.03
    2016 15-26 13.30% +5.46
    2017 16-24 14.50% +5.8
    Total 171-292 6.8% +31.4

Why Does This Happen?

The easiest explanation is motivation, but I don’t know if it’s the complete one.
    Point spreads are largely derived from power ratings based on a team’s entire body of work. They don’t fully account for whether or not a team wants to be in Shreveport, La., the day after Christmas.
    If a big favorite just doesn’t show up mentally, it can easily lose outright.
    But the fact that the numbers look similar from 1980 and from 2005 make the motivation argument shakier.
    When there were just 15 bowl games in 1980, every team should have been motivated. It was a big deal to play in the postseason, much different from today, with 40 bowl games on the slate.

Are There Specific Types of Dogs to Target?

Yes and no. You can cherry pick more profitable trends by moving the spread by half a point or a point.
    Generally, betting Group of 5 teams in this spot has been successful, and even more successful when they play a Power 5 team.
    But the real money has been made with big underdogs.

Spread Record ROI Units
    1-6.5 points 129-171 5.9% +17.5
    7+ points 42-119 9.9% +15.8
    10+ points 17-45 39.9% +24.7
    14+ points 5-15 60.9% +12.18

The units are buoyed by some big underdogs cashing — Oklahoma over Alabama in 2014, UCF over Auburn last season and Baylor in 2014, Louisville over Florida in 2013. They were all 4-1 or better to win outright.

What Should I Take Away From This?

Like I mentioned, this trend has had good and bad years. It’s been profitable in three of the four College Football Playoff years, since the playoff has created a perceived lack of emphasis on other bowl games. But here are some key takeaways:

1. No favorite moneyline parlays. Tying a handful of big favorites in a moneyline parlay for an even-money payout is becoming an increasingly popular betting option, but it doesn’t make sense in bowl season. If you really like the favorite, bet on it to cover.

2. No teasers. You should never tease college games anyway because of the scoring variance, but especially during bowl season. You need to hit 72.3% of legs with a 6-point teaser to be profitable, and bowl underdogs have only hit 67.7% of the time since 1980. Favorites hit at 68%.

3. Sprinkle some Christmas cash on an underdog moneyline. That’s the point of all this, right?
    If you like an underdog this bowl season, don’t be afraid to throw some change on that team to win outright.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Layoffs
    No home Field

simple

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

The first sentence is wrong and destroys the entire premise. "Bowl season (most of it, anyway) pits college football’s best teams against one another." That is totally false. Here is the proof. Las Vegas Bowl. Arizona State (7-5) against Fresno State (11-2). Camillia Bowl. Eastern Michigan (7-5) against Ga. Southern (9-3). New Orleans Bowl. Middle Tenn. (8-5) vs App State (10-2). Boca Bowl. NIU (8-5) vs UAB (10-3). Four Bowl games that certainly do not pit teams of equal records against one another. Then you have the games with mandatory participants. Rose Bowl. Washington (10-3) vs Ohio State (12-1). Military Bowl. Va Tech (6-6) vs Cincinnati (10-2).

That was a lot of work for nothing. There are way too many mandatory participants in Bowl Games. The fact is that there are way too many Bowl Games. These stats are meaningless.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Underdogs win because books set the lines wrong. Has nothing to do with team performance.

ex50warrior
    ex50warrior's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25112

Good info...thanks H.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

I'll agree with this.... points typically don't matter. One team always has a better game plan against the other... it typically follows suit past halftime as well.

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

interesting article...

i looked at last 5 years (random number). bowl game upsets were 37%. 6.1 point underdog average

i did same 5 years and looked at games that averaged 6.1 underdog average (with a tight range). came out to 34% SU win rate.

so not that huge difference................ and the big free sports databases don't have moneyline for predominately spread sports. so back test is hard.

orange5
    orange5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

The spread is lower, so the odds of the underdog losing but covering are lower. This really isn't surprising, complicated or hard to figure out. Not sure why somebody needed to write a whole article about it.

danshan11
    I am good at coin flips, I really am!
    danshan11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2888

this is all noise

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Underdogs win because books set the lines wrong. Has nothing to do with team performance.
    Pavy, we all know that you are one taco short of a #7 Combination Plate, but that was the dumbest statement you have made to date.

gojetsgomoxies

i think the idea is good, and the OP (or original writer) seems to have the data to back it up somewhat........ i do realize that data is probably behind subscription wall and collected by the writer's organization......

i do think the idea that the college bowl season is NOT that similar to the regular season is a good starting point.

i would love to see a model that just based the college bowl picks on the predicted point spreads premised on the pre-season power ratings i.e. picks based on the year before regular season....... basically, regression to the mean

mdunlap3
    mdunlap3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4843

Never buy points or tease games during bowl season.

danshan11
    I am good at coin flips, I really am!
    danshan11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2888

Quote Originally Posted by gojetsgomoxies View Post
    i think the idea is good, and the OP (or original writer) seems to have the data to back it up somewhat........ i do realize that data is probably behind subscription wall and collected by the writer's organization......

i do think the idea that the college bowl season is NOT that similar to the regular season is a good starting point.

i would love to see a model that just based the college bowl picks on the predicted point spreads premised on the pre-season power ratings i.e. picks based on the year before regular season....... basically, regression to the mean
    this stuff is the same thing as the Yankees on Wednesdays, if you bet the Yankees on Wed only since 2003 you would be killing it! its just noise, lots of that backtesting crap gives you these type of winners, no disrespect but it is just noise. Everyone in their right mind knows the Yankees winning a ton on Wednesdays is just noise. People design tons of systems off of these type things and they look great and have 1000s of records but in reality they are just a needle in a haystack of options. You go back and search MLB teams since 03 that scored a run in their previous game and the total of this game is between 6.5 and 9 and the opponent lost the last 2 you will have a 3000-4000 record winner long term but in reality that is just a needle that could have been something else just as easy. Filters dont cut out dirt, they make it dirtier!

gojetsgomoxies

Quote Originally Posted by danshan11 View Post
    this stuff is the same thing as the Yankees on Wednesdays, if you bet the Yankees on Wed only since 2003 you would be killing it! its just noise, lots of that backtesting crap gives you these type of winners, no disrespect but it is just noise. Everyone in their right mind knows the Yankees winning a ton on Wednesdays is just noise. People design tons of systems off of these type things and they look great and have 1000s of records but in reality they are just a needle in a haystack of options. You go back and search MLB teams since 03 that scored a run in their previous game and the total of this game is between 6.5 and 9 and the opponent lost the last 2 you will have a 3000-4000 record winner long term but in reality that is just a needle that could have been something else just as easy. Filters dont cut out dirt, they make it dirtier!
    i don't think that's true at all....... the original study is this thread just basically suggests bowl season is different than regular season and that was my point.... as an aside, bowl season is getting more and more like pure exhibition games every year. like teams barely care if they win up till about the last 6-7 bowl games.

definitely the OP study depended on a couple of big upsets a year. that is extremely variable. and author mentions that.