Gaze73
    Gaze73's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1192

Why does Pinnacle put extra vig on parlays?

I can think of two reasons. 1. They think mugs don't care about a few % lower payout even though it's a blatant thievery. Though that doesn't make much sense because mugs don't play at pinnacle anyway. 2. They were losing money to parlay sharks without that extra juice. Now I'm gonna have to make another account just so I can make parlays with a bookie that's not a parlay thief.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9216

From their point of view parlays are regular juice and singles are at reduced juice. Not extra for the parlay.

It's probably to do with sharps using parlays as a way to increase their max bet there, more than hoping for mugs.

Gaze73

As far as I know you can do max bet multiple times, you just get lesser odds each time. The parlays also seem to put much bigger vig on the favs. E.g They had Benfica at 1.47 but only 1.43 on a parlay, that's a pretty big difference when their true odds are 1.4.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9216

If nothing else, it suggests parlays are not an obvious mugs bet as commonly believed.

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    If nothing else, it suggests parlays are not an obvious mugs bet as commonly believed.

Of course they aren't. Parlays paying the right odds are a dangerous weapon in a bettor's arsenal. I used to bet dozens of two picks a day.

Anytime you can decrease your risk and increase your reward it's a good idea. Over time the results won't be too bad and in line with your expectation. The bigger the parlay, the more losses between big wins, just volatility.

Unfortunately, the bigger the parlay, the higher the chance that the bettor is getting shorted on his payout.

You should be getting +265 for at two pick, but +260 is acceptable when you have no choice.

Barrakuda
    Barrakuda's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7305

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    Of course they aren't. Parlays paying the right odds are a dangerous weapon in a bettor's arsenal. I used to bet dozens of two picks a day.

Anytime you can decrease your risk and increase your reward it's a good idea. Over time the results won't be too bad and in line with your expectation. The bigger the parlay, the more losses between big wins, just volatility.

Unfortunately, the bigger the parlay, the higher the chance that the bettor is getting shorted on his payout.

You should be getting +265 for at two pick, but +260 is acceptable when you have no choice.

How does a parlay "decrease risk?"

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Quote Originally Posted by Barrakuda View Post
    How does a parlay "decrease risk?"
    Assuming your bet amounts are the same, and for the most part they should be, instead of risking two bets (one on each game) you are only risking one bet on the parlay.

That's half the risk and you are still betting both games.

One mistake bettors make is that they risk less on the parlay than they do on single games. Always risk the same unit, even on the parlay.

Gaze73

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    Assuming your bet amounts are the same, and for the most part they should be, instead of risking two bets (one on each game) you are only risking one bet on the parlay.

That's half the risk and you are still betting both games.

One mistake bettors make is that they risk less on the parlay than they do on single games. Always risk the same unit, even on the parlay.
    Depends on the odds. Would you risk the same $100 on a -330 fav and a +120 parlay having 3 such favs? The fav has roughly 75% chance to win and the parlay only 42%. But yeah, parlay can minimize risks. There's a difference between risk 990 to win 300 and risk 300 to win 360. I've seen people lose all 3 legs of a "dead cert" parlay many times.

littlekona
    littlekona's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5828

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    From their point of view parlays are regular juice and singles are at reduced juice. Not extra for the parlay.

It's probably to do with sharps using parlays as a way to increase their max bet there, more than hoping for mugs.
    That is a good point...heritage is same way