BChrisB
    BChrisB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

Let me ask a serious question

Throughout all your years sports betting, some of the craziest things happened that we all paid attention to (because it's funny how more closely we pay attention when we have money on a game.) I'm sure that there had to have been at least one point (if not many, times, and times again) that we actually asked ourselves if some of this is really fixed.

Just to raise a question and not to speculate, am I the only one who found it quite peculiar how Vegas never budged on Bama to be a favorite even when they where #5 and were barely less than 1% to make it in over Ohio State. I watched that one closely and it doesn't add up to me. Just wonder if it by chance crossed other minds.

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

What odds are you referencing? The initial odds to win title?

I'd say that regardless, at the time, no-one thought OSU could win the title hence odds were low. Regardless, every book kept solid odds on SEC and Heisman winner.

Makes sense to me.

BChrisB

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
    What odds are you referencing? The initial odds to win title?

I'd say that regardless, at the time, no-one thought OSU could win the title hence odds were low. Regardless, every book kept solid odds on SEC and Heisman winner.

Makes sense to me.
    Favorite in the futures and never changed from losing to Auburn and not making it to the SEC Championship. Never changed from 6/5 even at #5 after that loss against Auburn with such a slight chance to make it in.

MinnesotaFats

Well, let me ask you this....

You're a book

You assume Alabama has 0 chance to get in

You know, by play, OSU has 0 chance to win

Why wouldn't you offer some odds in the hopes that a bettor lay action pending either the committee ruling Bama out or the OSU losing to (insert GA or CLEM).

If, out of 100 bettors prior to committee, 50 put long odds on OSU that's profit, the Bama bet still value....

And, now, they (everyone else) will be laying -150.

It's about the juice!

BChrisB

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
    Well, let me ask you this....

You're a book

You assume Alabama has 0 chance to get in

You know, by play, OSU has 0 chance to win

Why wouldn't you offer some odds in the hopes that a bettor lay action pending either the committee ruling Bama out or the OSU losing to (insert GA or CLEM).

If, out of 100 bettors prior to committee, 50 put long odds on OSU that's profit, the Bama bet still value....

And, now, they (everyone else) will be laying -150.

It's about the juice!
    Don't get me wrong, I understand your logic. Nobody should question it as in words in makes sense.. However. why would they keep a team a favorite damn well knowing the actual odds of a team not being in the top four and odds were barely 50% to even have the chance to make it to the top four would be a favorite.

This is exactly what I grew up as a kid when my grandfathers would take me to the track. I used to stand there acting like I was some dumb young kid that didn't know the conversations that went on before me in front of owners and trainers. "Keep the favorite the favorite, don't worry but bet the #3 horse instead, but wait til the last second."

Georgia will win ... all the favorite money will be collected. Say what you want, but this will be worse than any fixed horse race.

fried cheese
    Update your status
    fried cheese's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17048

why would they make bama the favorite if they were fixing it so they lose? wouldnt they give better odds to encourage more ppl to bet them?

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

lol fixing

We still talking about that??

BChrisB

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    lol fixing

Without a doubt... You may not believe me but Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster are working for them too.
    Last edited by BChrisB; 01-06-18 at 04:55 AM.

BChrisB

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    lol fixing

Go ahead, bet Alabama .. just see what happens.

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Quote Originally Posted by BChrisB View Post

Go ahead, bet Alabama .. just see what happens.

MinnesotaFats

I completely understand your point and the analogy w the track...

...i guess my point wasn't that the books goal was to set a fix but rather put lines out that encouraged as much pre committee action as possible and by including Bama, as the favorite, entice rhubes and homers to bet their futures on a team that very well could be cut out of the picture.

It backfired, books stand to lose on futures w a Bama win now. However, I don't think the action on the futures would have been nearly as enticing without Bama in it.

No conspiracy brewing, just using the prestige of Bama to elicit more action.