LVBOUND
    Living the DREAM!!
    LVBOUND's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 119

NCAAB Totals vs 11H totals

Guys,

I got a basic question, but it came up from tonight's game Texas at Baylor, Baylor -14 Game Total 131.5 and rising. 1H 61...

So the basic question is what half is normally higher scoring? I thought it would be second half in a tight game and lower is a blowout....

However this game is confusing, the line is -14 so Vegas thinks it's a blowout, but they see a 61 point 1H and 70.5 2H why????? Very confused...

I know Shaka suspended their leading scoring so maybe socing will be a bit lower? I broke down the numbers and came up with a total of 134... counting Texas having all their players? So I love the Under and with the 1H over at 60 I love the Under more?

What am I missing?

Matt

DroopyDog
    DroopyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2078

Im not sure how much has changed but the first half formula has always been game total divded by 2, then subtracting 4

so this is right in that range, following the formula.
    Points Awarded:

LVBOUND gave DroopyDog 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 143

2nd half is usually the higher scoring half, as you will typically see more fouls especially at the end of the game. Also, many games start with colder shooting as teams find a way to break down the opponents defense as the game goes on which makes scoring easier, in theory, as in basketball most teams have a strength in a particular defense and wont stray from it much.

I typically will only bet overs in the 1st half, as obviously the line is lower, and unless I feel the total is quite a bit off for a particular game I don't like unders especially this year where you are seeing more fouls called than ever before. Most times the total for first half ends up within a bucket and you have to sweat it out in the final minute or two.