The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Just curious who here enjoys history

I particularly enjoy US military history, particularly the Ameican Revolutionary War and the US-Mexico War. The US-Mexico War generally is overlooked but it formed our southern bordern with Mexico and we straight up snatched Texas, Arizon, New Mexico, Cali, Utah, Colorado and parts of Whyoming and Montana from them. So it was a pretty big conflict in American History, Im fascinated not more attention is given to it

Anyone else? Which history interest you? Art, World, Native American, Space, Women's, African-American, military, Middle-East, Religious????

Whats yalls flavor

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13300

I have a degree in history focused mostly on 20th Century American with some environmental history. I studied a lot of religion as well. I thought I was going to go to law school and instead I sell shit.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: The Kraken

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 143

I am always watching documentaries Kraken. Love world history especially when it comes to rise and fall of empires.

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16145

I just want the sports almanac like back to the future

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster
    kidcudi92's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

Love watching American Heroes Channel(Used to be Military Channel), Science channel, Investigation Discovery, the new VICEland channel

pilebuck13
    pilebuck13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1717

Like history but unfortunately I have no idea if we're getting full truths....at that just bugs me.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Quote Originally Posted by pilebuck13 View Post
    Like history but unfortunately I have no idea if we're getting full truths....at that just bugs me.
    Never have, never will.

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster

Quote Originally Posted by unde0087 View Post
    I am always watching documentaries Kraken. Love world history especially when it comes to rise and fall of empires.
    Enjoy those as well. Ancient Egyptian history is the most interesting to me

The Kraken

ah, yes! The rise and fall of empires, I love it. I guess I should say I am more fascinated by the concept that every empire except current empires have all fallen, and in reality, we are most likely just somewhere on the spectrum. To imagine us as a superpower, the greatest superpower the world has ever known, and we are just on a spectrum, every day closer to the inevitable as just another empire that ran it's course is pretty amazing.

The Kraken

Quote Originally Posted by kidcudi92 View Post
    Love watching American Heroes Channel(Used to be Military Channel), Science channel, Investigation Discovery, the new VICEland channel
    Nice, I watch those as well. Even though we disagree, I knew we had something in common

I thought it was just our taste in good looking women with phenom asses and our ability to score them, but I find out it's more than just that! Refreshing

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    Nice, I watch those as well. Even though we disagree, I knew we had something in common

I thought it was just our taste in good looking women with phenom asses and our ability to score them, but I find out it's more than just that! Refreshing

The only issue I have with some of those channels is the lack of new programming, but I guess that is expected as they are not high budget channels

The Kraken

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    Never have, never will.
    I disagree Toler, or at least I view it differently

You seem to believe that everything is a false narrative

I think you tend to believe because we've been lied to in the past that we're always lied to, that eye-witness accounts are nothing more than planted moles helping to shape the truth for an ulterior motive

You're smart but I think you have trust issues

I know we don't always get the truth, but I also know that most times, the truth is relative. As stories are told of any particular event, a narrative is formed. Your trust issues automatically make you believe your being lied to and your perspective is that the authorities or those in power manipulated the situation for their gain. This is your default.

And it's often wrong.

At least this is my .02 of I perceive you

innovation
    innovation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 239

Just learned last night that the moon is a disguised hollow metal sphere and actually is a giant space ship moved here by aliens....that's why though it's been pummeled by asteroids for billions of years none of them are deeper than others....oh yeah and nasa knows this....they crashed some craft into it and it rang like a bell for something like 7 hours and could be heard for 20 miles....also since the dark side of the
    moon never faces us that's where all the alien bases and probs secret government bases are too....

see they said because it's exactly 400 times smaller then the sun and the sun is exactly 400 times further away it's like one in a zillion odds that that would happen to create a perfect solar eclipse....also noted that the ancient writing speaks of a time before the moon

fuk man why didn't they just tell me this in grade school, now I have to wonder how bad the aliens have infiltrated us....is Hilary really a lizard?

in all seriousness I fukking love history....the fact that those who don't understand it are doomed to repeat it is very true....including sports and gambling

The Kraken

Anyone have any particular event they take interest in? Like a particular event in Egyptian History? Or a particular war?

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster

Anyone have any particular event they take interest in? Like a particular event in Egyptian History? Or a particular war?
    When Akhenaton came to power, then King Tut rules next

pilebuck13

Underground crime scene...rise of organized crime....that interests me...philly in the 80's Nicky scarfo

Triple_D_Bet
    Triple_D_Bet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 219

A lot of history is interesting, but I'm a particular fan of the emergence from the dark ages...puts much of today's "suffering" in perspective. For events though, it's gotta be WWII....so much shit going on, so many brilliant minds and plans with the margin of success sometimes coming down to pure luck. Sadly, it's conflict and war in particular that seem to bring out the human potential for getting shit done.

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster

Pretty much every war. Not really a war, but the Guatemalan 1954 coup was really fukkin interesting

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

I'm always on a lookout for some tribe titties on History and Discovery channels.

World History, Math and Chemistry were my favorite subjects in school.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13300

Random thoughts:

Both my wife and I have family trees that predate the American Revolution and could be SAR/DAR if we got off our lazy asses to do it.

The Mexican American war is of interest to me for one reason - When I was drinking we used to belong to the Foxen Winery wine club. Now I didn't know the Foxen story before I joined the club so don't let anyone ever tell you that drinking is all bad. The area was named after an English ex pat who was married to a prominent Mexican. Long story short he ended up helping John Fremont navigate the area which helped the Americans win California.

Take that Mayan

iceman02
    iceman02's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2965

I do enjoy history. War is very interesting and as a econ buff the two always connects.

Unfortunately, as a proud American. Im afraid to say after world war 2 we have been the bullies looking for economical gains rather then using our morals. It started with haiti, Philippines, then the current war that extends to iraq, Afghanistan, syria, and north africa.

Its really sad to see what's going on and unfortunately this will be our downfall like many of those great empires. We cannot sustain a economy based on war. United States is the #1 producer in weapons, war items, accessories, guns, combat gear, various technology that can harm others or areas. Without war these companies will cease to exist or minimize their funding. Unfortunately, they are the largest contributors to politics with strong lobbyist on their side.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Triple_D_Bet

jtoler

I disagree Toler, or at least I view it differently

You seem to believe that everything is a false narrative

I think you tend to believe because we've been lied to in the past that we're always lied to, that eye-witness accounts are nothing more than planted moles helping to shape the truth for an ulterior motive

You're smart but I think you have trust issues

I know we don't always get the truth, but I also know that most times, the truth is relative. As stories are told of any particular event, a narrative is formed. Your trust issues automatically make you believe your being lied to and your perspective is that the authorities or those in power manipulated the situation for their gain. This is your default.

And it's often wrong.

At least this is my .02 of I perceive you
    I have no idea why you think that about me bud. Its simply not true.

15805's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16182

Mt. Rushmore of military leaders born on American soil & the battles that put them there:
    1) MacArthur at Inchon
    2) Lee at Chancellorsville
    3) Forrest at Brices Crossroads
    4) Jackson's Valley Campaign

pilebuck13

Wars are planned for 💸💶
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: jtoler

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

I love US History.....For some reason from around the Civil War until after WW2 is of interest to me the most.

WW2 not just from our perspective but also Europe's is fascinating to me for the most part

I think from the 1950s until the 1980s I'm more interested in US cultural history instead of the wars....Just seeing how people lived their lives, music, sports, movies, movements, etc is interesting to me

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Krak.. give Alex Trebek a call

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

i like history that they don't teach you in schools. history you learn in school are mainly bullshit.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: jtoler

jtoler

Quote Originally Posted by pilebuck13 View Post
    Wars are planned for 
    You obviously have trust issues.

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16145

Kraken is a top poster here and has a fukking clue

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

and shit like this. real history you won't learn in schools.

Points Awarded:

jtoler gave Ghenghis Kahn 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

jtoler

My gosh Khan you anti-semitic tin foiled nut.

eidolon
    USA
    eidolon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15766

Isn't the fall usually around the 250 year mark?
    That is what I remember someone saying about 10 years ago. The US is getting pretty close to that landmark.

Triple_D_Bet
    Triple_D_Bet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 219

For those of you who enjoy history and wars, you should look at some of the alt history books...the premise is the author makes a minor change in history and extrapolates from there, showing you how the world could have progressed very differently. The Southern Victory series by Harry Turtledove is a great place to start; he makes one minor change (McClellan doesn't find a discarded copy of Lee's plans and doesn't stop him at Antietam), and everything changes. Turtledove does a fantastic job showing how everything shifts and how famous peoples' lives turn out differently, and it's all extremely plausible...give it a look

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4547

I thoroughly enjoy European history in the immediate Post-Westphalian era.

123 Last