Cookie Monster
    Large moneylines
    Cookie Monster's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9852

Now everyone says Big 12 needs a Championship game

Now everyone says Big 12 needs a Championship game... while a few weeks ago everyone was complaining Big 12 was sending a team to playoffs eschewing a dangerous championship game, and maybe even sending 2 teams.

The Round Robin format without championship game is a calculated gamble. It may slightly reduce the chance for best conference team to enter playoffs, but increases greatly the chance for a second team in. As the gamble did not work, now they are complaining of being unfairly penalized.

Big 12 commish rules-bending was just trying to have better chance for a team in playoffs. Had Baylor been better ranked than TCU, he would give them the championship based on head to head. But as things stood, having TCU #3 and crowning another team would hurt the chance for any team in playoffs (Conference championship is stated as a selecting criteria). So he came with the co-champs idea. At the end, it did not work, but just by the Ohio State improbable huge win as dog.

It is likely that Big 12 would ask for a waiver from NCAA to allow them to play a championship game. And maybe later add 2 teams (BYU is logical, but after that no clear choice, maybe Cincinnati). All for a 59-0 Big 10 championship game.

Gonz312
    Keep It Simple Stupid
    Gonz312's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8490

TCU hurt themselves by not closing out against Baylor. Much like Baylor hurt themselves by not beating a team they probably should have. An undefeated Big 12 team is pretty much a lock for the playoff much like only an undefeated ACC team would make the playoff despite a championship game. It certainly helps to have one, but the one loss was much more a factor for both of these teams. A one loss FL St team would of most likely been left out in favor of a 1 loss Big 12 team even if State went on to win the championship game (assuming they lost earlier in the year). There were 100s of way this thing could of played out in the final 2 weeks of the year...this is just the way it happened to play out in year 1 of the new system.

This is how I view the order of priority for the playoff.
    SEC champ with 0-1 loss is pretty much guaranteed a spot.
    Pac 12 champ with 0-1 loss
    Big 10 champ with 0-1 loss
    ACC champ if undefeated will jump Big 10 champ if they have 1 loss, but not if they both have 1 loss
    Big 12 champ if undefeated will jump Big 10 champ if Big 10 champ has 1 loss, but not if Big 10 champ is also undefeated. Big 12 champ if undefeated will jump ACC champ if they have 1 loss, and possibly jump ACC if they both have 1 loss.

Reading that is about confusing as the many scenarios that will most likely play out in future years. Can't judge a system by 1 year...with that said, a 4 team playoff in a league that has 5 'power' conferences made little sense to begin with.
    Last edited by Gonz312; 12-07-14 at 06:50 PM.

broadway6
    on to the next one
    broadway6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1338

Quote Originally Posted by Gonz312 View Post
    TCU hurt themselves by not closing out against Baylor. Much like Baylor hurt themselves by not beating a team they probably should have. An undefeated Big 12 team is pretty much a lock for the playoff much like only an undefeated ACC team would make the playoff despite a championship game. It certainly helps to have one, but the one loss was much more a factor for both of these teams. A one loss FL St team would of most likely been left out in favor of a 1 loss Big 12 team even if State went on to win the championship game (assuming they lost earlier in the year). There were 100s of way this thing could of played out in the final 2 weeks of the year...this is just the way it happened to play out in year 1 of the new system.

the one loss didn't mean much. Ohio state lost to the worst team. Let's be honest, TCU's loss was a lot better than Oregon or bama. I believe both of those teams lost at home to teams with 2 losses. Tcu lost to Baylor. If you go buy who you lost against, Tcu losing at Baylor is by far the best loss.

Gonz312
    Keep It Simple Stupid
    Gonz312's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8490

Quote Originally Posted by broadway6 View Post
    the one loss didn't mean much. Ohio state lost to the worst team. Let's be honest, TCU's loss was a lot better than Oregon or bama. I believe both of those teams lost at home to teams with 2 losses. Tcu lost to Baylor. If you go buy who you lost against, Tcu losing at Baylor is by far the best loss.
    True, but even if the big 12 had a championship game...I think a big 10 champ would of jumped whoever came out on top of that. If there was a champ game in the big 12, TCU and Baylor would be in the same big 12 conference (most likely south like in years past), so that head to head would still prop Baylor up ahead of TCU for the game. Assuming Baylor went on to play a champ game and won, I still think OSU would of jumped them.

My point basically was that an undefeated big 12 team this year, wouldn't of been jumped by OSU despite the champ game. In future years, there will be much different scenarios anyway. This wouldn't even be an issue if OSU was undefeated for instance.
    Last edited by Gonz312; 12-07-14 at 06:58 PM.

broadway6
    on to the next one
    broadway6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1338

Quote Originally Posted by Gonz312 View Post
    True, but even if the big 12 had a championship game...I think a big 10 champ would of jumped whoever came out on top of that. If there was a champ game in the big 12, TCU and Baylor would be in the same big 12 conference (most likely south like in years past), so that head to head would still prop Baylor up ahead of TCU for the game. Assuming Baylor went on to play a champ game and won, I still think OSU would of jumped them.

Yes bc ohio state is ohio state. Not bc of anything else.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

wait for bowl games and then we see if Baylor and TCU had legit gripe

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

they need to expand the playoff. 4 teams is not nearly enough.
    i don't want to hear ESPN Radio talk for weeks about what the
    committee will do, and whether they were right or not.
    It's sickening.
    Give us 8 teams or don't bother.

THam12
    Money is the motivation!
    THam12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2280

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    they need to expand the playoff. 4 teams is not nearly enough.
    i don't want to hear ESPN Radio talk for weeks about what the
    committee will do, and whether they were right or not.
    It's sickening.
    Give us 8 teams or don't bother.
    Give 8, then people will want 16...
    there's no pleasing everyone.
    College bball gives... what 64 teams now??? And still people complain.

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 549

TCU got royally screwed