UntilTheNDofTimE
    I thought i told you that we dont stop
    UntilTheNDofTimE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 151

NBA Draft Question: Drafting Foreign players

I'll use the Spurs as an example. How does it work when a team drafts a player ( Tiago Splitter, 2007) and they choose not to come to the NBA for 3 years?

I was was looking at team salaries and since Splitter was not on the Spurs roster he did not earn any money. So I have a couple questions.

1) if a player chooses not to come over the team doesn't have to pay them?
    2) does a team retain rights to the player, regardless of if they're paying them, for a set number of years? I'd imagine if the player isn't being paid they're not under contract.
    3) Since it had been 3 years could Splitter of signed with any team he wanted?

This was also the case with Gonobili who didn't come over for 3 years after being drafted.

meader99
    meader99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5231

Most teams draft Euro players for the future, because they may not have a spot on the roster or they want more salary cap room. For instance the Bulls have 2 first round picks this year. They don't want to draft 2 players for next years roster because they want cap flexibility for free agency. I would guarantee that if the Bulls keep both first round picks at least one will be used on a Euro. They don't have to pay him and they can bring him over when he's more NBA ready. I don't know how long the team gets to keep the "rights" to said player.