bonzaii
    bonzaii's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 287

Oregon and Washington to BIG 10

Bad for college sports losing tradition? Or better now better matchups now in the regular season?

Da Manster!
    Da Manster!'s Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2798

I almost threw up when I saw that. College sports is all about money and tv revenue right now. like I told my former roommate a while back, they need to just get rid of "conferences" altogether and just have 4 directional super divisions. North, East, South, and West. and then split up all Division 1-A teams (yes, I still call them that) evenly according to geographical locations and proximities. (like how conferences were originally formed).

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10323

Tough to see what's happening in Pro-College Football.
    BIG10 going coast to coast.

The college football landscape is getting smaller and smaller.
    Looks like wer'e heading to 3 conferences with 25 teams each.

$$$ makes the world go 'round.

ByeShea
    ByeShea's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11662

Quote Originally Posted by bonzaii View Post
    Bad for college sports losing tradition? Or better now better matchups now in the regular season?
    So bad. College football has been trending in a shitty direction for years.

If you recall seeing Keith Jackson call a Rose Bowl back in the day or a Big 10 rivalry game, you truly were seeing the best the game got.

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24894

Quote Originally Posted by bonzaii View Post
    I wish the would split the FBS into: Major Conf and Mid-Majors.

*Would be fun to see the Mid-Majors compete for a title. FBS is too top-heavy right now.

As for the tradition...it's all about the $$. Geography be damned. Getting very close to 4 major Conf.

actiondan
    actiondan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16711

looking forward to rutgers vs washington
    Points Awarded:

19th Hole gave actiondan 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7894

I generally try to take change in sports as it comes. It’s inevitable, and I’m never going to stop following and betting (I don’t think I will at least haha) so might as well just deal with it. Usually it all works out for the most part. But this shit is just getting to be a lot to process. It most certainly won’t be as bad as we think it will be, very easy to write doomsday scenarios, but this just doesn’t feel at all what college sports should be about, which is $$$$$ above all else. Damn your traditions and anything you may hold sacred, this is about how the rich can get richer to the highest possible degree.

Don’t forget too we’re getting rid of divisions, can’t wait for Ohio State/Michigan two weeks in a row every single year for the rest of our lives

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

Never saw a Bible verse fit more perfectly than it does here
    Points Awarded:

compaqDikk gave Brock Landers 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

texhooper

Brock that may be your best post ever and I’m not even a religious man

19th Hole

19th Hole

mjsuax13
    mjsuax13's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 897

Cal/Stanford next. They don’t want Washington State and Oregon State, doesn’t move the needle. This is the big tens answer to losing consistently to the SEC when it counts. Beat them in the wallet. Only place you will.

krk1030
    krk1030's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4884

Note Dame will join at some point too, and down the road the ACC will be next to get split up when Clemson leaves for the SEC

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

I wonder how this effects the playoff next season. Right now its 6 conference champions and 6 at large. There are no automatic bids but now it looks like we have 4 major conferences and 5 minor ones. I've seen some reporting that the Pac 12 had an automatic bid for the champion, but that's not true. I think that has gotten lost in this a little bit. As is, you are going to have 2 representatives from the Group of 5.

ByeShea
    ByeShea's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11662

Quote Originally Posted by texhooper View Post
    I generally try to take change in sports as it comes. It’s inevitable, and I’m never going to stop following and betting (I don’t think I will at least haha) so might as well just deal with it. Usually it all works out for the most part. But this shit is just getting to be a lot to process. It most certainly won’t be as bad as we think it will be, very easy to write doomsday scenarios, but this just doesn’t feel at all what college sports should be about, which is $$$$$ above all else. Damn your traditions and anything you may hold sacred, this is about how the rich can get richer to the highest possible degree.

Don’t forget too we’re getting rid of divisions, can’t wait for Ohio State/Michigan two weeks in a row every single year for the rest of our lives
    College football was so much better back when the actual bowl games themselves (the majors) were rivals of each other and a “champion” was decided by sportswriter voting. And I’m 100% serious.

It was completely archaic and unique - the regular season mattered more than the postseason, when powerhouses met in October there was no kicking the can down the road til we meet again in the postseason because THAT DAY WAS THE FUKKIN’ CHAMPIONSHIP and the winner might well have had to do it over again 7 days later. Often enough we could see 2 or 3 on a single Saturday.

The sport had regional grudge matches from coast to coast. That NEVER got old. As mentioned above now we have Washington & Rutgers in the same conference???? Are we going to pretend nothing went wrong in the sport? GTFO here.

College football has turned into a national circle jerk where two-bit announcers who’d rather be covering pro ball wonder aloud which SEC teams will be joining Alabama and Ohio State in the final four. This completely suks dik & it started sliding downhill when the OCD of faggy journalists and their lame ass readership began insisting the game needed a playoff format. Killed the importance of the regular season, then it killed the conferences. Again, Huskies vs Scarlet Knights in a Big 10 match up. Fuk you.
    Last edited by ByeShea; 08-05-23 at 08:24 AM.
    Points Awarded:

Da Manster! gave ByeShea 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

texhooper gave ByeShea 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Da Manster!, and ChuckyTheGoat

Mike Huntertz
    Mike Huntertz's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22604

That's sucks. No Apple Cup? My favorite game when in Pullman and snow!

Mike Huntertz
    Mike Huntertz's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22604

Quote Originally Posted by ByeShea View Post
    College football was so much better back when the actual bowl games themselves (the majors) were rivals of each other and a “champion” was decided by sportswriter voting. And I’m 100% serious.

It was completely archaic and unique - the regular season mattered more than the postseason, when powerhouses met in October there was no kicking the can down the road til we meet again in the postseason because THAT DAY WAS THE FUKKIN’ CHAMPIONSHIP and the winner might well have had to do it over again 7 days later. Often enough we could see 2 or 3 on a single Saturday.

The sport had regional grudge matches from coast to coast. That NEVER got old. As mentioned above now we have Washington & Rutgers in the same conference???? Are we going to pretend nothing went wrong in the sport? GTFO here.

College football has turned into a national circle jerk where two-bit announcers who’d rather be covering pro ball wonder aloud which SEC teams will be joining Alabama and Ohio State in the final four. This completely suks dik & it started sliding downhill when the OCD of faggy journalists and their lame ass readership began insisting the game needed a playoff format. Killed the importance of the regular season, then it killed the conferences. Again, Huskies vs Scarlet Knights in a Big 10 match up. Fuk you.
    A great write and agree with a lot, but I still like a final playdown.
    March Madness is a massively enjoyed time of year and I also like the college football playoff.
    It gives a non major team an actual chance to win it all.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

Quote Originally Posted by ByeShea View Post

OUTSTANDING POST!

one of the best I've ever read and I agree with everything you said!

Da Manster!

and now the final nail in the coffin!...Arizona, Arizona ST, and Utah to move to the Big-12 in 2024!...unfukkin' real! SMH!...Pac-12 is now officially dead!...Now it's the Pac-4!

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-florida-state

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47539

Quote Originally Posted by krk1030 View Post
    Note Dame will join at some point too, and down the road the ACC will be next to get split up when Clemson leaves for the SEC
    Disagree. Teams are moving around to get a piece of the TV revenue pie and ND does not have to worry about that as long as they are with NBC. Why would ND go to any conference to make less TV revenue than they are currently?

JAKEPEAVY21

Used to love college sports but NIL and all this movement of teams to new conferences has turned me off.

Things have shifted from the schools having all the power over the athletes to the athletes having all the power and can leave schools for any ridiculous reason...sad.

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19605

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyTheGoat View Post
    I wish the would split the FBS into: Major Conf and Mid-Majors.

*Would be fun to see the Mid-Majors compete for a title. FBS is too top-heavy right now.

As for the tradition...it's all about the $$. Geography be damned. Getting very close to 4 major Conf.
    This will happen. The top 25 or so teams will split from the rest of I-A and form their own league, much like Division I split into I-A and I-AA in 1978.

Da Manster!

It's too late now but what should have happened is have the conferences joining up with one another to form a super conference...A good and fair combo would have been the Pac-12 and Big-10, ACC and Big East, SEC and Big 12, and then have the AAC, MWC, MAC, C-USA, WAC and all of the others mid-majors combining. Those would be the four "super" or "mega" conferences (renamed) and divided and split all tv revenue and sponsorship monies evenly. I saw the writing on the wall when all of this shit started back in the mid-90's when the ACC raided the original Big East of most of its good teams and that started the trickle down effect and shitstorm that we have today with these goddamn teams jumping ship and playing musical conferences!

texhooper

Byeshea great post. College football from whence you speak was basically the soccer model, and as regular seasons and playoffs expand in every single sport I’ve started to yearn for such days myself. You keep adding games, adding games, adding playoff slots, and eventually you’ve slowly diluted the product. And now conferences are so big that half the conference games are gonna feel like non conference games. To stick with your example, you’re seriously gonna ask kids who are supposed to be “students” to fly three goddamn time zones to play a conference game??? A game that’s gonna really matter in regards to whether or not they play for a conference title and earn a playoff spot??? The charade is totally on display at this point. It’s not about the kids or “students” it’s about these fukking assholes lining their pockets. And Jake Peavy that’s why I’m pro-NIL and transfer portal. If within this multi-billion dollar business, schools and conferences and coaches are gonna do whatever the fukk they want, then the players should have every opportunity to maximize their own situation. It’s not ideal but that’s the world that’s been created with college athletics having lost any semblance of being an amateur league.

Like I said earlier we’re all still gonna be here watching and paying attention and betting regardless but this is just getting to be a lot. Washington to New Jersey. Oregon to Pennsylvania. California to Maryland for fukks sake. Like 2Pac said they don’t give a fukk about us
    Points Awarded:

Da Manster! gave texhooper 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

texhooper

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHorseplayer View Post
    This will happen. The top 25 or so teams will split from the rest of I-A and form their own league, much like Division I split into I-A and I-AA in 1978.
    Now this is when I will potentially check out

Da Manster!

ByeShea and Texhooper with back-to-back great posts...My sentiments exactly...totally agree 100%
    Points Awarded:

texhooper gave Da Manster! 5 SBR Point(s) for this post.

bjb7223
    bjb7223's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8997

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    Used to love college sports but NIL and all this movement of teams to new conferences has turned me off.

Things have shifted from the schools having all the power over the athletes to the athletes having all the power and can leave schools for any ridiculous reason...sad.
    welcome to capitalism

bjb7223
    bjb7223's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8997

Quote Originally Posted by actiondan View Post
    looking forward to rutgers vs washington

Da Manster!

California to Maryland for fukks sake. Like 2Pac said they don’t give a fukk about us
    Yes sir brother Tex!! Because nothing says bitter regional rivalry like USC from Los Angeles flying across the country in three different time zones to play my alma mater the Mighty Terps from the University of Maryland at College Park right on the outskirts of Baltimore and Washington DC!!...LMAO!

texhooper

Quote Originally Posted by Da Manster! View Post
    Yes sir brother Tex!! Because nothing says bitter regional rivalry like USC from Los Angeles flying across the country in three different time zones to play my alma mater the Mighty Terps from the University of Maryland at College Park right on the outskirts of Baltimore and Washington DC!!...LMAO!
    Can we add any European colleges while we’re at it?

Da Manster!

Can we add any European colleges while we’re at it?
    My contacts over in London and Frankfurt are already on it!

GoCougs!
    GoCougs!'s Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11328

Brutal for my squad. Wazzu is a great college town and has fun teams. Unless we find a lifeline we will lose some sports and won't be able to continue paying our coaches. ESPN + Fox, along with very bad leadership from the Pac-12, have ruined what was a great conference.

texhooper

I’m hurting for Wazzu my guy. I never thought I would say this but I’m seriously hoping they can join the Big 12 or something. Definitely don’t deserve to get totally left out of this bullshit realignment, and is a big inspiration for my posts here
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: GoCougs!

JAKEPEAVY21

Byeshea great post. College football from whence you speak was basically the soccer model, and as regular seasons and playoffs expand in every single sport I’ve started to yearn for such days myself. You keep adding games, adding games, adding playoff slots, and eventually you’ve slowly diluted the product. And now conferences are so big that half the conference games are gonna feel like non conference games. To stick with your example, you’re seriously gonna ask kids who are supposed to be “students” to fly three goddamn time zones to play a conference game??? A game that’s gonna really matter in regards to whether or not they play for a conference title and earn a playoff spot??? The charade is totally on display at this point. It’s not about the kids or “students” it’s about these fukking assholes lining their pockets. And Jake Peavy that’s why I’m pro-NIL and transfer portal. If within this multi-billion dollar business, schools and conferences and coaches are gonna do whatever the fukk they want, then the players should have every opportunity to maximize their own situation. It’s not ideal but that’s the world that’s been created with college athletics having lost any semblance of being an amateur league.

Like I said earlier we’re all still gonna be here watching and paying attention and betting regardless but this is just getting to be a lot. Washington to New Jersey. Oregon to Pennsylvania. California to Maryland for fukks sake. Like 2Pac said they don’t give a fukk about us
    I get it, doesn't mean I have to like it.

They should've given college athletes a reasonable monthly stipend a long time ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by bjb7223 View Post
    welcome to capitalism
    Yes sir but it has ruined college sports in my view.

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24944

The transfer portal being flung wide open was the beginning of the end for college football purists. There really doesn't exist any allegiance to a school or region anymore, it's only about money and visibility for players so why should conferences be any different? Everyone's just grabbing anything they can get their hands on right now that they believe might improve their brand.
    Points Awarded:

mjsuax13 gave Eddy Munny 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

JAKEPEAVY21 gave Eddy Munny 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

12 Last