Rod1010
    Rod1010's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

Is Jose Aldo the best fighter in the world ?

This guy is so impressive.. Will remain Pound for pound best.

Iced
    Iced's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Pound-for-Pound: GSP is one, Anderson Silva is two, Aldo is three.

Cap dat 4ss
    okst. -13.5
    Cap dat 4ss's Avatar Become A Pro!

No, ryan bader is

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

anyone know when aldo's next fight is?

face

this guy is so bad ass, they need to find him someone to fight. seems like he beat the crap out of everyone and now no one wants to fight him

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by Cap dat 4ss View Post
    No, ryan bader is
    Agreed

Swinging Johnson
    Swinging Johnson's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5638

My vote goes to Jon Bones Jones. I would like to see Frankie Edgar drop down and fight Aldo.

Beelzebubzy
    Beelzebubzy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5104

Chael Sonnen is still swinging the hammer.
    Sonnen would beat Aldo. Plus, Aldo does not have a triangle to counter act his wrestling.

itriedsohard
    BIG PLAYS
    itriedsohard's Avatar Become A Pro!

Anderson silva
    Jon jones

/thread

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebubzy View Post
    Chael Sonnen is still swinging the hammer.
    Sonnen would beat Aldo. Plus, Aldo does not have a triangle to counter act his wrestling.
    you on crack they are like 100 lbs apart. besides i don't trust people that talk about themselves in third person like chael. oh and he does roids...

Beelzebubzy

Quote Originally Posted by Ghenghis Kahn View Post
    you on crack they are like 100 lbs apart. besides i don't trust people that talk about themselves in third person like chael. oh and he does roids...
    “I'm the best fighter in the world. I'm the best fighter ever, living or dead. There's never been a man like me.
    quote Chael

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

NO! If Mendes could have gotten fight to later rounds, He would have destroyed him!!!

sideloaded
    staring into the abyss
    sideloaded's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by face View Post
    anyone know when aldo's next fight is?
    way to grave dig. Rod doesn't even post anymore. He died in a tragic balloon accident.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

lol

Rubber Guard
    Rubber Guard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5152

Quote Originally Posted by itriedsohard View Post
    Anderson silva
    Jon jones

/thread
    This is correct.

Aldo is amazing and I would put him 4th or 5th P4P. But he hasn't looked as good in the UFC as he did in the WEC. Seems to not be as agile, his weight cut is becoming tougher. He has cleaned out his division for now, but his division is still growing and is still very thin at the moment.

fosho14
    fosho14's Avatar Become A Pro!

Anderson silva is a killer. He straight embarasses people inside the cage. You don't get extra brownie points for dry humping people like gsp does. gsp is not even close to the same level as silva and jones and we would have seen that if andy and him fought. Unfortunately we never will

Anderson is number one and jones is number 2 hot on his tails and rising at an unbelievable pace. It gets tricky for grading number 3 and 4. Yes GSP has fought tougher opposition than aldo, but he is not a fighter to be feared or respected but definitely a fighter to be feared of getting layed on.... he's a kind, polite person but thats as far as my respect for him goes. I don't watch martial arts to see men lay on other men for 25 minutes, and this is coming from someone who enjoys watching grappling, submissions, and ground and pound more than stand up. What he does is not active or working to improve position, and certainly not working to finish. Conversely it's exploiting the flawed system that fighters are currently evaluated on, (hopefully it changes in the future). If that's the criteria that you use to determine the elite of the elite than I guess he's #3 and Aldo's #4 .
    Last edited by fosho14; 03-20-12 at 02:00 PM.

Wanna Bet On It?
    Hog or pass
    Wanna Bet On It?'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5734

Quote Originally Posted by fosho14 View Post
    Anderson silva is a killer. He straight embarasses people inside the cage. You don't get extra brownie points for dry humping people like gsp does. gsp is not even close to the same level as silva and jones and we would have seen that if andy and him fought. Unfortunately we never will

Anderson is number one and jones is number 2 hot on his tails and rising at an unbelievable pace. It gets tricky for grading number 3 and 4. Yes GSP has fought tougher opposition than aldo, but he is not a fighter to be feared or respected but definitely a fighter to be feared of getting layed on.... he's a kind, polite person but thats as far as my respect for him goes. I don't watch martial arts to see men lay on other men for 25 minutes, and this is coming from someone who enjoys watching grappling, submissions, and ground and pound more than stand up. What he does is not active or working to improve position, it's exploiting the flawed system that fighters are currently evaluated on, (hopefully it changes in the future). If that's the criteria that you place elite fighters in than I guess he's #3 and Aldo's #4.
    Except he straight up got embarrassed for 24 minutes laying on his back while getting punched more times than anyone in UFC history. GSP embarrasses people who claim to "fight to the death" into quitting. GSP has made tactical errors that have caused him to lose in sudden fashion (kimura attempt without controlling the body, getting hit with a big hook) rather than getting outclassed by someone in one skillset.

When you have such a glaring flaw, it's hard to believe that that person is truly #1 in skillset when he's fought less than stellar competition and few wrestlers. Just because the media and the "what have you done for me lately" crowd dubs him #1 doesn't make it so --- a few years ago people were sick of Anderson and GSP was #1 on many people's lists. Anderson fought mediocre fights against Leites, Cote and Maia and got exposed by Sonnen. How quickly we forget that GSP was flown out to Abu Dhabi to fight Anderson and his showing was so embarrassing that Dana walked out in the fourth round and the superfight was called off. The fact is, GSP hasn't lost since... he just hasn't been nearly as exciting in his fights compared to Anderson as of late, yet does excitement determine who the top ranked fighter is? Does excitement determine who the best football or basketball team is? No. Winning does... And GSP hasn't lost since...

If Anderson smashes Chael in the rematch and he beats a stud wrestler like Weidman, then I'd join in on crowning him #1 and I won't fault him for one poor performance (especially if he had a significant rib injury to limit him).

But I'd take Jon Jones 10/10 times at even money versus Silva. I'd almost certainly take Rashad at even money and I'd even entertain GSP at above even odds if they fought at catchweight, depending upon how GSP has healed from his ACL surgery.

He's the most ruthless striker and has brilliant grappling but matched up against another elite complete MMArtist his size, I'd have to go with the superior wrestler.

fosho14

No I'm not just talking about exciting it's much more than that. This is a fighting combat sport where your supposed to inflict physical damage and harm. It may not sound pleasant, and is not for everyone but that is what separates dominant and elite practitioners from the airy fairy gsp's and dominick cruz's of the world (not saying those 2 aren't talented but there's no denying there on a lower level than sila and jones). Anderson knocks out and submits ppl including high level wrestlers hendo and chael so I'm not sure where your going with that whole he can't deal with wrestlers thing...gsp does not typically knock out or submit his opponents but rather "plays the game" whats hilarious is that your defending the guy more than the guy defends himself. How many more times are we gonna have to hear "I am dissapointed in my performance" or "I did not perform well". It's nearly every fight. Leites didnt do anything and anderson is a cerebral fighter who does not take unnecessary stupid risks. Besides, he still won every round of that fight and he destoryed maias face. GSP puts on those type of lack luster perfomances nearly every fight, so how is that a fair comparison, you bringing that up just makes gsp look worse, because he fights like that nearly every time where as anderson has only done that a couple times..
    I understand that gsp wins, but so does anderson cept he does it with style, finesse and destruction all at the same time. It's beautiful to watch, and embodies the spectacle of martial arts. Plus if your argument is that gsp wins and thats his entitlement to #1 than you don't even have leverage there because anderson has more wins, more title defenses, the longest active winning streak, and pretty much every single ufc record you can think of. Jones is a beast who is good everywhere, and I was never denying that, it's just that he simply doesn't have the experience to be considered number 1. He very well could be 1 year from now when he has cleaned out his division. Agree to disagree, I can see that you aren't understanding my point, and I have heard your point and doesn't hold very much merit.

O and I somehow find it difficult to accept him getting "straight up embarassed" in an event where he locked up his opponents arm to the point it would have been broken had chael not surrendered. That is not getting straight up embarassed, I don't know what kind of warped view you have of what it means to submit someone. I guess tim boetsch got straight up embarassed at 144 according to you since he was getting lit up with unanswered blows for 3/4 of the fight until he knocked okami out? No I'm sorry wanna bet on it, thats not how this works
    Last edited by fosho14; 03-20-12 at 06:12 PM.

fosho14

whats more effective? Winning by lying on top of your opponent without damaging him, or even out jabbing your opponent on the feet, or knocking your opponent unconscious. Do I really have to break things down for you this much!? This debate has already been made across many publications, media outlets and news sources, and your argument lost.

fosho14

Long live the spider

Beelzebubzy

So far the only two serious nominees have been

Ryan Bader and Chael Sonnen.

fosho14

lol I'm done here

Vitooch
    Dayman
    Vitooch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 159

Get this conversation out of Player's Talk. Many of these posters are misinformed .

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Dont be hatin on the Lord of the Takedown boys!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSyw35V9hc8

fosho14

It's okay to argue, but I just have no patience for mindless arguing for the sake of arguing. It's fine to disagree, just wish ppl used at least an ounce of sense.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

lol think about 5% are answering this thread seriously!

fosho14

yes I know. Thought you would gather specifically who I was directing the comment to.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

I think Ive got an idea! And I agree, Anderson is No1 for me

face

Quote Originally Posted by sideloaded View Post

way to grave dig. Rod doesn't even post anymore. He died in a tragic balloon accident.
    actually was just googling stuff about aldo and this thread popped up on google so i just made a comment on it

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm not a big GSP fan, but I think he is less beatable than Silva. While his style is boring and he can't finish any fighter in the 170 division, I think he can beat them all much more often than not. If Silva is able to stop Sonnen again my opinion may change.

Rubber Guard
    Rubber Guard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5152

Anderson > GSP

GSP is great don't get me wrong. But wrestling is such an advantage. Wrestling is the easiest way to win fights. GSP is the best wrestler at WW and happens to be good all around. He doesn't dominate his opponents. He takes the safest route and beats them on points. Anderson no doubt about it is the better fight. He is knocking #2, #3, #4 guys in his division out in the 1st round of fights. He sub'd Dan Henderson. He has went to 205 and may not have beat the best but made a former champ look dumb.

Anderson was never KO'd or tapped to strikes by a midget.

GSP is great, but he doesn't finish guys....hence he isn't as dominant. Anderson has to fool around in some fights just to entertain himself. Each time he has been wrestled at all he has sub'd his opponent. Hendo did a little not much, Lutter had him down, and Sonnen beat him up for 4 rounds. He sub'd them all. Anderson finishes the #2 guy after losing most of the fight.....GSP can't finish when he is on top or winning the whole fight.

GSP is dominant. But it doesn't get anymore dominant than fooling around, then just saying it is time to KO this fool...then doing so. IN 90% of his fights he can basically pick when he wants to finish someone. GSP couldn't finish a guy even if it were 10 rounds. His last 2 finishes a LONG time ago weren't even real finishes. Penn is lazy and out of shape they threw in the towel for him. Matt Serra absorbed a bunch of knees to the side and they stopped it. Those were his last finishes and they were both weak.

Anderson does this all while what? 35-37 years old lately? Simply amazing.

Kaladarus

You guys have a lot of good points. It really goes down to how you define being the best fighter. To me the biggest thing is if you are beatable. Right now GSP is facing his biggest test in the WW division. Silva is facing his biggest test in the MW division. Odds are up for both and GSP coming off a long lay off is still a bigger favorite than Silva. This may not prove much, but against the worst case opponents the bookmakers still think GSP is less beatable.

Vitooch
    Dayman

If Jones finishes Evans, which I think he will most likely do, that means he has finished every top-tier LHW they have thrown out him. For a few years, this division had no clear dominant champion. Rashad beat Rampage who beat Machida who beat Rashad? And Shogun, who was also champion lost to Hendo and Griffin? Meanwhile, Griffin beat Rampage but lost to Tito, and Shogun in a rematch? Well this is the unbelievably chaotic division that Jones has CLEANED OUT. And it is arguably the most top-heavy division in all of MMA. THAT is extremely impressive. Tough to determine whether Anderson or Jones is the best right now, but their upcoming bouts will be very telling.

I think GSP is a close 3rd and Aldo is 4th.
    Last edited by Vitooch; 03-20-12 at 07:22 PM.

Vitooch
    Dayman

I feel like a douche for bolding so many words.

Kaladarus

I think if Jones beats Evans comfortably he can easily take that top spot. You are right though the next fights for all these guys will probably make a list everyone can agree on.

123 Last